scanners and software

Post by <spie.. » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am going to purchase a scanner and software for my father.  He needs the
scanner to scan 11 x 17 paper.  He will be scanning plans in then making
changes to them.  Any suggestions on a scanner and software to do
this??Thank you.

scanners and software

Post by bob simpso » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

sharp 610
www.sharp.co.uk
dont know their international site
bob

Quote:> I am going to purchase a scanner and software for my father.  He needs the
> scanner to scan 11 x 17 paper.  He will be scanning plans in then making
> changes to them.  Any suggestions on a scanner and software to do
> this??Thank you.

> --

scanners and software

Post by Phil McRev » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I am going to purchase a scanner and software for my father.

Scan over the archives for comp.periphs.scanners.  MANY people
(including myself) have had problems with HP scanners and support from
HP, so I would stay away from that brand.  Otherwise, look around
carefully before deciding on a particular scanner.  In c.p.s you
should be able to find some articles pointing you to some web sites
that do comparative reviews of scanners.  The scanner market is
evolving rapidly and since I haven't bought a flatbed for some time,
my knowledge of particular products is lacking.  If you only need to
scan once in a while and quality isn't of paramount importance, then
one of the cheaper flatbeds should be able to suit your needs.
--
http://www.veryComputer.com/~legalize Legalize *hood!

``Ain't it funny that they all fire the pistol,     <URL: http://
  at the wrong end of the race?''--PDBT     www.eden.com/~thewho>

scanners and software

Post by sistercaro » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Umax makes excellent scanners, as does Agfa.  For the home user,
there are plenty of models that are reasonably priced.  For 11 X
17, though, you may have too upgrade to a more expensive model.

--Carol

Quote:> I am going to purchase a scanner and software for my father.  He
needs the
> scanner to scan 11 x 17 paper.  He will be scanning plans in
then making
> changes to them.  Any suggestions on a scanner and software to
do
> this??Thank you.

> --

scanners and software

Post by Kelowna Reproduction » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Our scanner only does 8.5x11 and is a Umax Astra 2400S.  It scans ok, but
the software drives me insane!!!!  There is no resize on their scanning
software, so if you want to get a Umax, make sure that the package does NOT
include VistaScan 3.x, unless you like your screen in 800x600 to get
(somwhat) close to actually seeing the scan!!!  For the price we paid, I'm
much happier with my 8.5x11 Visioneer scanner I have at home.  (And it's
faster!! cheaper too!!)

My two cents worth,
Tamara

Quote:> I am going to purchase a scanner and software for my father.  He needs the
> scanner to scan 11 x 17 paper.  He will be scanning plans in then making
> changes to them.  Any suggestions on a scanner and software to do
> this??Thank you.

> --

scanners and software

Post by Roland Burga » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Are you referring to the Vista software that controls the
scanner itself, or the imaging software that it displays
into, perhaps Page Manager.

> Our scanner only does 8.5x11 and is a Umax Astra 2400S.  It scans ok, but
> the software drives me insane!!!!  There is no resize on their scanning
> software, so if you want to get a Umax, make sure that the package does NOT
> include VistaScan 3.x, unless you like your screen in 800x600 to get
> (somwhat) close to actually seeing the scan!!!  For the price we paid, I'm
> much happier with my 8.5x11 Visioneer scanner I have at home.  (And it's
> faster!! cheaper too!!)

> My two cents worth,
> Tamara

> > I am going to purchase a scanner and software for my father.  He needs the
> > scanner to scan 11 x 17 paper.  He will be scanning plans in then making
> > changes to them.  Any suggestions on a scanner and software to do
> > this??Thank you.

> > --

1. Scanner cleanup software sought

A company I support has been using Photoshop to clean up their scans,
while it does indeed do the job, it's like using a tractor trailer as a
commuter car. They don't need or use 98% of the functions, so I'm looking
for something smaller, less resource intensive, and less expensive.
They're running a network of IIsi with 17 meg of RAM each. All
recommendations welcome and pointers to shareware sites even moreso.

Thanks.

-Kelley-

 \    Thomas Kelley Boylan     \     Administration      \

   \    Chicago, Illinois        \      Obfustication      \

2. car orthographics

3. Scanner descreening software pkgs

4. DEMO REELS: What you should Know & other important info.

5. Suggestion needed for scanner/graphic software.

6. Printout

7. Need Help! Scanner Interface Software

8. Taking advantage of D3DX

9. Need info on PC scanners and software

10. NEED Scanner and Software for Unix

11. Scanner control software.

12. AT&T Overview Scanner, Need software, HELP!

13. Howtek drum scanner upgrade software