Reversed Ray Tracing

Post by T. Burg » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I think that Z-Max does this, but it's nothing that a graphic artist can
>use. It's used by optical engineers for designing optics systems. It

It can also be used in a ray tracer to help predict where caustics will
occur on a surface allowing the renderer to concentrate samples in those
areas.  I'm told that SoftImage's renderer uses that technique.

T. Burge

Reversed Ray Tracing

Post by T. Burg » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I think that Z-Max does this, but it's nothing that a graphic artist can
>use. It's used by optical engineers for designing optics systems. It

It can also be used in a ray tracer to help predict where caustics will
occur on a surface allowing the renderer to concentrate samples in those
areas.  I'm told that SoftImage's renderer uses that technique.

T. Burge

Reversed Ray Tracing

Post by Spide » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

There is a photon map patch, at www.nathan.kopp.com, perhaps it is what you are
after.
//Spider

--
//Spider

What I can do and what I could do, I just don't know anymore
                "Marian"
        By: "Sisters Of Mercy"

Reversed Ray Tracing

Post by David M Parri » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Hello!
>Does anyone have information or know where to find information about
>"Reversed Ray Tracing"?

My understanding is, this was the method used to study optics before what we
call ray tracing was developed.

VERY computationally intensive, since you don't know if a light source's rays
are going to hit the camera or not. You end up with lots of rays that don't
get seen.

---
David Parrish
Then again,
I could be totally wrong...

1. Reversed Ray Tracing

Hello!
Does anyone have information or know where to find information about
"Reversed
Ray Tracing"?

I'll try to implement it and see if it's possible to run it whithin
reasonable
time. I'm told that the quality of the generated pictures are much
better than
those from ordinary Ray Tracing.

The big difference between Ray Tracing and Reversed Ray Tracing is that
you
traces the rays from the light source instead of the camera.

Greatful for any information!
/Nicklas Svensson

2. C code for maximum likelihood classifier algorithm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. ANNOUNCE(POV-Ray): Ray tracing of trimmed rational surfaces

4. PRMan 3.9?

5. POV-Ray and volume ray tracing?

6. PA 8.5 question

7. Moray bundled with Ray Tracing Worlds with POV-Ray

8. FS: BOOK - Ray Tracing Worlds with POV-RAY (book+disks)

9. Ray-z-Buffer Approach for Ray Tracing

10. Ray tracing: ray-object intersection

11. Ray-tracing using non linear ray...

12. Fastest way to generate eye rays in Ray Tracing