Whats the funny looking socket on my 9600 ?

Whats the funny looking socket on my 9600 ?

Post by Mark Smit » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a question for you people, it's been bugging me for ages!

On the back of our PowerMac 9600 machines we have a socket none of us
recognise, it's in between the RJ45 ethernet and the 50pin SCSI and has a
symbol like this <--> next to it (just like the ethernet has)

What is the socket for ?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Post by Kyung Eigenraa » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have a question for you people, it's been bugging me for ages!

> On the back of our PowerMac 9600 machines we have a socket none of us
> recognise, it's in between the RJ45 ethernet and the 50pin SCSI and has a
> symbol like this <--> next to it (just like the ethernet has)

> What is the socket for ?

> Thanks in advance

> Mark

Hi,

that's also an ethernet connection...but you'll a transceiver (like the one
for a PowerBook 540)...

-------------------------------------
And on the seventh day, God turned off his Macintosh...
-------------------------------------

Post by Doug Brow » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > Hello,

> > I have a question for you people, it's been bugging me for ages!

> > On the back of our PowerMac 9600 machines we have a socket none of us
> > recognise, it's in between the RJ45 ethernet and the 50pin SCSI and has a
> > symbol like this <--> next to it (just like the ethernet has)

> > What is the socket for ?

> > Thanks in advance

> > Mark

> Hi,

> that's also an ethernet connection...but you'll a transceiver (like the one
> for a PowerBook 540)...

Yup, and it's called AAUI.

Post by Steven G. Johns » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> On the back of our PowerMac 9600 machines we have a socket none of us
> recognise, it's in between the RJ45 ethernet and the 50pin SCSI and has a
> symbol like this <--> next to it (just like the ethernet has)

It's an alternate Ethernet Jack, that uses Apple's old proprietary AAUI
connector.  (Prior to the PCI PowerMacs, Apple systems came with only AAUI
jacks, and you needed a transceiver to connect to a standard 10baseT or
AUI cable.)

Cordially,
Steven G. Johnson

Post by John Savag » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > On the back of our PowerMac 9600 machines we have a socket none of us
> > recognise, it's in between the RJ45 ethernet and the 50pin SCSI and has a
> > symbol like this <--> next to it (just like the ethernet has)
> It's an alternate Ethernet Jack, that uses Apple's old proprietary AAUI
> connector.  (Prior to the PCI PowerMacs, Apple systems came with only AAUI
> jacks, and you needed a transceiver to connect to a standard 10baseT or
> AUI cable.)

Not actually Apple proprietary, they are easier to get hold of than
that, Sun use them on their systems, and they are also present on quite
a few network hubs and repeaters etc., most big networking companies
sell AAUI transceivers.

John

Post by Griff Miller I » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Yup, and it's called AAUI.

...which I think stands for Apple Attachment Unit Interface.

--
Griff Miller II
Senior Unix/NT Sysadmin

Post by Carl aka Kra » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > > On the back of our PowerMac 9600 machines we have a socket none of us
> > > recognise, it's in between the RJ45 ethernet and the 50pin SCSI and has a
> > > symbol like this <--> next to it (just like the ethernet has)
> > It's an alternate Ethernet Jack, that uses Apple's old proprietary AAUI
> > connector.  (Prior to the PCI PowerMacs, Apple systems came with only AAUI
> > jacks, and you needed a transceiver to connect to a standard 10baseT or
> > AUI cable.)

> Not actually Apple proprietary, they are easier to get hold of than
> that, Sun use them on their systems, and they are also present on quite
> a few network hubs and repeaters etc., most big networking companies
> sell AAUI transceivers.

> John

Actually, if you look at a Sparcstation, you will see that they
have an AUI port, not an AAUI port. Different *y connector.
Good news is that the mac trancievers are _cheaper_ than those
sold for UNIX boxes with AUI ports!

-carl

Post by Steve H » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > > It's an alternate Ethernet Jack, that uses Apple's old proprietary AAUI
> > > connector.  (Prior to the PCI PowerMacs, Apple systems came with only AAUI
> > > jacks, and you needed a transceiver to connect to a standard 10baseT or
> > > AUI cable.)

> > Not actually Apple proprietary, they are easier to get hold of than
> > that, Sun use them on their systems, and they are also present on quite
> > a few network hubs and repeaters etc., most big networking companies
> > sell AAUI transceivers.

> > John

> Actually, if you look at a Sparcstation, you will see that they
> have an AUI port, not an AAUI port. Different *y connector.
> Good news is that the mac trancievers are _cheaper_ than those
> sold for UNIX boxes with AUI ports!

Not any more...RJ-45 for ethernet is now standard.

1. FS: 9600/300

    I have the following workstation for sale.
9600/300 with removable proccesor card, can be quickly upgradable to a G3 or
better!
64Mg Ram expandable to 768Mg
4Gb HD
Zip drive
24x CD-rom
Kybrd+mouse
6 PCI slots-great potential for 3d/2d accelerators
Twin turbo graphics accelerator
Mac Os 8.1
Very upgradable and expandable, great workstation. Last of a great series.
Quick and easy to open and upgrade.

     Everything is in great condition with all cables and manuals. For sale
at best offer. Am moving and need to sell system soon. I also have a large
number of graphic software packages for sale in addition to system or alone.
If interested let me know and I'll send a list of programs.

2. filters unltd newbie

3. FS:9600/300 w/ 17 in. monitor

4. Copying adjustment layers

5. Steal a Loaded PowerMac 9600!!

6. Network path

7. FA: 9600/240 608MB/4GB/12XCD Awesome For Graphics

8. Moniter calibration

9. Here's the fix for screwed-up 9600/300 graphics

10. 9600/300 problem

11. Fast image display on a 9600