Wanted: neat objects made of spheres in ASCII

Wanted: neat objects made of spheres in ASCII

Post by Jason Freu » Sat, 13 Mar 1993 17:49:47

        I'm looking for scene definition files in ascii of complex or interesting
objects built from spheres.  I wrote a little ray tracer that does spheres
and planes with anti-aliasing, marble, checkerboard, you can define standard
kinds of properties to things, etc.

        But all I have are hand-made lame pics called "red planet with reflecting
moon above checkerboard universe" etc.  I'd like to show off my program with
a dinosaur or a space shuttle made out of spheres.  The data hopefully would
be in a simple format that I could convert using macros to my format which
is for example:
   :
        (sphere
                (radius 8.0)
                (xyz -9 -2 0)
                (rgb 1 1 1)
                (reflect 0.8)
                (gloss 40)
                (specular 1)
                (diffuse 1)
                (perlin 0)
        )
        (light
                (xyz -40000 -200 -2000)
                (rgb 1 1 0)
        )
   :

Jason

1. Neat spheres quickly, anyone?

Hi ya!

Yeah, I'd be interested in an algorithm with which I can produce neat looking
shaded spheres reasonably quickly. I've already got a circle filler routine
which is fast enough, but the flat-shaded (one-colored) circles don't look
very 3D, which is rather important since my program is trying to present 3D
balls in a 3D space! :) I do know that I could just stamp lot's of circles
in different shades on top of each other, but that doesn't look very good
either. So, I'd like a quick'n'dirty way of producing nice looking shaded
spheres, light-sourced shading would be nice, but not essential. :) Oh, BTW,
my data structure for the 3D balls is (at the moment) just [centerX,centerY,
centerZ,radius], from that I produce a close enough approximation of a 3d ball
by dividing the X,Y & radius by the distance and so on... But as mentioned
earlier :), some shading would be nice, so if you have any code (pseudo such or
in C) or anything else helpful, could you tell me about it? Please? :)

Thanx,

Mika Saastamoinen  (-MiS-)  Turku  School of  Economics     // Amiga  -  In  an

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Virtual reality  won't merely replace TV.  It will eat it alive!" - A.C.Clarke

2. Text Tool shuts down PSP

3. wrapping an object around another object (a sphere)?

4. waviness around text

5. making new objects from an object

6. WTB: Version LW 4 or 5

7. Need ASCII objects

8. lightwave object to ascii

9. Regular Grids on Spheres / Sphere Tilings / Equal distribution of points on a sphere

10. making Sphere

11. Making Spheres

12. Making Simple 3D Spheres...