Quark 4 backwardly compatible?

Post by Tim Wrig » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi all.

We're planning on picking up a few extra copies of Quark, and have been
informed that 3.32 is no longer available. If we purchase 4, will we have
difficulties integrating that with our numerous copies of 3.32/3.31/3.3?

Basically, can Q4 documents be opened in 3.3x? If not, I imagine the howls
of protest would have been deafening, but it would be nice to hear from
someone who's bitten the bullet what the various problems are/were in
upgrading.

Many thanks,

Tim Wright.
--
ObDisclaimer: This is all my own work. LLP Limited would almost certainly
protest complete ignorance, if they knew about it, which they don't. Okay?

Post by David Reynol » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>We're planning on picking up a few extra copies of Quark, and have been
>informed that 3.32 is no longer available. If we purchase 4, will we have
>difficulties integrating that with our numerous copies of 3.32/3.31/3.3?

  Not neccessarily.  QXP 4 will allow you to save files in 3.3.x format.
Doesn't seem to eat them like 3.2 -> 3.3.x did.

Quote:>Basically, can Q4 documents be opened in 3.3x?

  Not a chance in Hell.  But, I have no documentation on all the features
to double check this.  So, to put it more honestly - in my opinion, not a
chance in Hell.

Quote:>If not, I imagine the howls of protest would have been deafening, but
>it would be nice to hear from someone who's bitten the bullet what the
> various problems are/were in upgrading.

  I haven't upgraded, nor have I seen the currently shipping version, but
the Final Candidate 102 (which I do have) is supposedly the same as that
what ships.  Dunno - might be true, but I've no verification.

  Minimum RAM is about 9MB.  Suggested is 10.  Preferred is 24MB, I
think.  Type on paths is really neat, but I still dig Illustrator 88, too.

  For every time you wished for a mini-Illustrator to just do some quick
typographic work in, count that as another point in favor of an upgrade.
For every XTension that your business relies on, count that as one point
against an upgrade.  Call those vendors first, and get them to give you a
compatibility guarantee - if they won't, either dump them or buy someone
else's copies of 3.3.2r5.

Good luck!

David Reynolds

"WOW! What cool Tools!"
http://www.extensis.com
-----------------------
This message composed on, sent from and read by MC68030.
Fight planned obsolescence.  Buy Apple.

Quark 4 backwardly compatible?

Post by John Smi » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
    Quark four lets you save in 3.3 format, thank the lord, I think this is
about the best feature in it, most of the plugins I use all the time will
not work with 4, Inposition being the main one, as I use this on 80% of the
work I do. As far as I can understand Quark did not give developers a final
relase version to rewrite their plugins for, infact I have seen notes
posted that say they are still waiting even though Quark have released the
final version. I think that Quark are pushing there luck on this one, even
though I am a long time Quark user, with the problems v4 has caused and the
price to upgrade I think a lot of people will be looking at Pagemaker, I
have never been a great fan , but Adobe have improved it a lot. I think it
is much the same a the  Illustrator last upgrade, it was a big jump for the
PC but on a Mac only small changes and most of them caused trouble, If I
need to set type on a path I can do it in Illustrator I have been doing it
that way for 5 or 6 years, and as to being able to draw clipping paths I
will still do that in Photoshop where I can get an accurate high res screen
view. Yours John

1. Quark, Quark, Quark...

ok, this is probably the wrong place to raise this, but I'm baffled:
can anybody tell me WHY does anybody buy Quark XPress ? What does it
do that PageMaker 6 (or indeed 5) doesn't do at half the price ? Or
much less ? For example, I've just seen an advert for a page
imposition Xtension in the MacWarehouse catalog, that costs over 250
- yet Pagemaker ships with a free imposition plug-in which works
perfectly (ok, 95% of the time :-) )... I'm not into software
religion, and indeed Pagemaker's attitude towards QuickDraw GX (on
Macs) has driven me closing to binning the bloody thing, but *what* is
so amazing about XPress to make every design company, even small
impoverished ones (in the UK at least) blindly pay ludicrous prices
for it and its horrifically Xpensive Xtensions ? And in the face of
it, why is *nobody* using Pagemaker ? I've yet to find a bureau that
has PM 6.0 .... Somebody please put me out of my misery and Xplain it
?

2. Digital Blue Screen Extraction

3. To Quark or not to Quark?

4. Graphics software

5. Does Quark 4 Upgrade Disable Quark 3?

6. Chain links to follow naturally.

7. Quark-->EPS-->Quark?

8. 3D Graphic Authors

9. Mac Quark to PC Quark

10. Is Visio 4.0 compatible with Windows 2000?

11. Hypercosm 3D player now compatible with Netscape!