??Landscape rendering using IV

Post by Michel Wermelinge » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

We are working with Range Images and would like to visualize them using
OpenInventor 2.1, on a Indigo2, 128MB, R4400, Irix 5.3.
We have 3D points information and we want to make a landscape rendering.
Finally, we will have about 640x480 points.

We tested the SoTriangleStripSet and obtained the following results:

128x128 3DPoints:
15 sec for calculation and visualization.
Only half of the surface had a hights variation. The rougher the surface
is, the slower gets the function (normal).
256x256 3DPoints:
18 sec for calculation and visualization.
The more Triangle to calculate (rougher) the slower it gets, sometimes
the machine finishs the calculation and terminate the program with a
core dump without visualizing.
512x512???
no way!

Next we did was introducing algorithms to cut down the number of
triangles which didn't show big differences.

Has someone already tried similar things and coulnd give us some ideas
about landscape rendering and visualisation of big data sets using
similar installations.

Thanks in advance.

Michel + Armin

1. Using Displacement mapping to render landscape

Im constructing a small terrain rendering engine to use with some of my
projects, I would really like to take advantage of the new displacement
mapping features but have been vondering if it would be a good ide to
combine it with a geomipmapping engine.

Now when using geomipmapping you have to take special care to prevent
cracking when rendering ajacent patches with different levels of detail.

If the patches was rendered as adaptively tesselated and displacements
mapped meshes how do I go about preventing cracking from occuring ?

Rgs

Ralf

2. JF GRAPHIC DESIGN

3. Display .IV using GL

4. Button Glyph sites?

5. WANTED USED TBC-IV CARD

6. How to use pfd_generic_format

7. WANTED used TBC-IV

8. Quartz Extreme presentation 7/31/2002 at Apple Town Hall

9. Interlace problem using PAR and TBC-IV for making AVI's

10. using custom SoNode in iv files

11. SGI LightWave Render Viewer IV

12. rendering iv file

13. Fractal Landscapes using hexagon tiling