BUG: Irix 5.3 overlay colour planes

Post by Philippe F. Bertra » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

We have encoutered a bug with overlays and Inventor on the XZ, Elan graphics
adapters but not on Indy entry graphics.  The overlay colourtable is not
loaded until we go to a "winterm" window and popup its menu then go back to
our Inventor application.

Is there a patch available for this bug?

Thanks,

Visible Decisions,
121 King St W, Suite 1080, Toronto, Canada  M5H 3T9

Post by Michael Swe » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: We have encoutered a bug with overlays and Inventor on the XZ, Elan graphics
: adapters but not on Indy entry graphics.  The overlay colourtable is not
: loaded until we go to a "winterm" window and popup its menu then go back to
: our Inventor application.

: Is there a patch available for this bug?

Without knowing what your code is doing, I'd have to guess that you aren't
installing the colormap after you've created it.

 Mike Sweet                  2D & 3D Software for      Easy Software Products
 (301) 994-0377             Silicon Graphics, Inc.      20778 Wolftrap Street

                             http://www.easysw.com

Post by Philippe F. Bertra » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>: We have encoutered a bug with overlays and Inventor on the XZ, Elan graphics
>: adapters but not on Indy entry graphics.  The overlay colourtable is not
>: loaded until we go to a "winterm" window and popup its menu then go back to
>: our Inventor application.
>: Is there a patch available for this bug?
>Without knowing what your code is doing, I'd have to guess that you aren't
>installing the colormap after you've created it.

We are defining colour through Inventor (although I have been told it is not
an Inventor bug), specifically, SoXtViewer::setOverlayColorMap.

The point is it works fine on Indy 8bit and 24bit systems but not on XZ and
Elan graphics.

Philippe

1. OpenGL overlay does not run on PI/35 TG, IRIX 5.3

Yasuhiro \"Bobby\" Uraki <bobby> writes:

| I make a sample for overlay. But the sample
| does not run on PI/35 TG, IRIX 5.3.
| The error message is...
|
|    % xm-ogl
|    Error: GLwMDrawingArea: requested visual not supported
|
| Is it bug ?

OpenGL support on TG graphics is limited.  I can't find the
documentation to prove it, but I think I remember hearing that OpenGL
rendering in the overlays is not supported for PI and VGX.

Here is the relevent section from the gl_dev release notes, chapter 6:

       OpenGL is supported on all graphics adaptors except for the
       G, GT and GTX. (Note that support for VGX, VGXT and PI G and
       TG graphics is new in 5.3.) Here is the complete list:

         Indy - XL 8/24 bits
         Indigo - Starter, XS, XS24, XZ, Elan
         IndigoII - XL, XZ, Extreme
         Crimson - Starter, XS, XS24, Elan, Extreme, VGX, VGXT,
                   RealityEngine
         Onyx - VTX, RealityEngine, RealityEngine2
         4D20/25 and 4D30/35 - G, TG
         4D30/35 - Elan

       All these implementations pass Level 0 of the conformance
       tests (i.e., the "mustpass" test suite).  Also, all the
       adaptors except VGX, VGXT, PI G and PI TG pass most of the
       balance of the conformance tests. The VGX, VGXT, PI G and PI
       TG use a rendering pipeline that is more like IrisGL and
       therefore fail most of the lighting conformance tests in
       addition to other tests.  (Please see the conformance
       reports for details.)

--
Michael I. Gold     http://reality.sgi.com/employees/gold    415/933-1709

And my mama cried,  "Nanook a no no! Don't be a naughty eskimo! Save your
money, don't go to the show!"  Well I turned around and I said, "Ho! Ho!"

2. PS Plugin Programming?

3. IRIX 5.3 color bug??

4. Please read, It's worth your time!

5. 3d GRAPHICS BUGS ON INDY R4400XZ IRIX 5.3

6. Graphical designer / dtp person - UNEP / GRID Arendal, Southern NORWAY

7. Bug of Xsgi or xdm on IRIX 5.3?

8. Problem porting X application from IRIX 5.3 to IRIX 6.4

9. IrisGL problem: IRIX 5.3 --> IRIX 6.2

10. POV-RAY for Irix 5.3 - help

11. POVRAY for SGI Irix 5.3

12. Povray 3.01 compilation on SGI Irix 5.3