A very frustrated novice :-)

A very frustrated novice :-)

Post by Dave Cav » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00



Hi peeps,
    It has taken me a long time to get here. Been to Micro(s)tupid and many
other places with no success. Finally found you nice people and hopefully a
solution to my problem, though I'm not sure if PSP is the problem, or me, or
possibly (gawd forbid) windows 98.
    I have PSP 6.02 + Anim 2.02. I have had great success using PSP to create my
web graphics and I am very pleased with the product. My problem is that I need
to convert some animated gifs to avi format.
    I have no problem (using Anim) producing the gifs, but when I try to 'save
as' avi format files, I get the message 'an error has occurred trying to write
to file'.
    I noticed that the compression option does not give me the compression
codecs that are installed on my system (Intel 5.1 etc.)
It is very frustrating that I cannot use this facility and I would greatly
appreciate any help that anybody can give.
Out of necessity I found this ng. and I am glad I did. You are a lot of clever
and interesting people and whatever happens re. my problem, I will stay here to
keep my knowledge up to-date.
Glad to have found you :-)))))
Take Care,

Dave Cave.


If you are interested in charities - www.dave-cave.co.uk  (under construction)

 
 
 

A very frustrated novice :-)

Post by Rob Geraght » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00




> I noticed that the compression option does not give me the compression
> codecs that are installed on my system (Intel 5.1 etc.)

This is only a guess, but you could try installing Microsoft
Netmeeting.  Installing that puts in a bunch of codecs for video
compression to transmit live video over the internet.  You don't have
to run netmeeting - just installing it should make the codecs available.

Rob
--
http://wordweb.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

A very frustrated novice :-)

Post by Dave Cav » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00





> > I noticed that the compression option does not give me the compression
> > codecs that are installed on my system (Intel 5.1 etc.)

> This is only a guess, but you could try installing Microsoft
> Netmeeting.  Installing that puts in a bunch of codecs for video
> compression to transmit live video over the internet.  You don't have
> to run netmeeting - just installing it should make the codecs available.

> Rob

Thanks Rob for your quick response :-)
I do have Netmeeting installed - in fact I have video compression codecs
installed from many sources. I have tried removing and re-installing all the
codecs to no avail.
I have just found that I can't save avi files from Webpainter or AviQuick
either,
so the problem is not confined to PSP.
I have no problems playing avi's with MediaPlayer or any other Avi players.
I have also re-installed all the avi and mci dll's and drv's.
It would appear that there is something sick in the Windoze video processing
department. I've tried Microstupids knowledge base, but it only gives me
irrelevant information.
Could you or ANYBODY advise me as to the best place to go to get help
on this matter?
I would like to say this is a great ng. with very friendly and knowledgeable
people. It makes a change to be somewhere that isn't full of flames and
shouting - very refreshing :-)))

Any help - even good guesses - would be appreciated.
Please save my sanity <BWG>
Dave

 
 
 

A very frustrated novice :-)

Post by Avicoo » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Have you tryed asking microsoft?

Avicool
http://aviart.virtualave.net






> > > I noticed that the compression option does not give me the compression
> > > codecs that are installed on my system (Intel 5.1 etc.)

> > This is only a guess, but you could try installing Microsoft
> > Netmeeting.  Installing that puts in a bunch of codecs for video
> > compression to transmit live video over the internet.  You don't have
> > to run netmeeting - just installing it should make the codecs available.

> > Rob

> Thanks Rob for your quick response :-)
> I do have Netmeeting installed - in fact I have video compression codecs
> installed from many sources. I have tried removing and re-installing all
the
> codecs to no avail.
> I have just found that I can't save avi files from Webpainter or AviQuick
> either,
> so the problem is not confined to PSP.
> I have no problems playing avi's with MediaPlayer or any other Avi
players.
> I have also re-installed all the avi and mci dll's and drv's.
> It would appear that there is something sick in the Windoze video
processing
> department. I've tried Microstupids knowledge base, but it only gives me
> irrelevant information.
> Could you or ANYBODY advise me as to the best place to go to get help
> on this matter?
> I would like to say this is a great ng. with very friendly and
knowledgeable
> people. It makes a change to be somewhere that isn't full of flames and
> shouting - very refreshing :-)))

> Any help - even good guesses - would be appreciated.
> Please save my sanity <BWG>
> Dave


 
 
 

A very frustrated novice :-)

Post by Wavy » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00


You may be trying to use intel indeo 5.1
I had the same problem myself a few months ago. After a lot of
investigating, I found out that 5.1 only supports frames of a certain size,
so when I would try to get an avi out of it, I'd get an error message saying
it couldn't write to the file, but I could with the other codecs. This sound
like it? If not, try uninstalling your codecs from the multimedia control
panel, and then reinstalling them.


> Have you tryed asking microsoft?

> Avicool
> http://aviart.virtualave.net







> > > > I noticed that the compression option does not give me the
compression
> > > > codecs that are installed on my system (Intel 5.1 etc.)

> > > This is only a guess, but you could try installing Microsoft
> > > Netmeeting.  Installing that puts in a bunch of codecs for video
> > > compression to transmit live video over the internet.  You don't have
> > > to run netmeeting - just installing it should make the codecs
available.

> > > Rob

> > Thanks Rob for your quick response :-)
> > I do have Netmeeting installed - in fact I have video compression codecs
> > installed from many sources. I have tried removing and re-installing all
> the
> > codecs to no avail.
> > I have just found that I can't save avi files from Webpainter or
AviQuick
> > either,
> > so the problem is not confined to PSP.
> > I have no problems playing avi's with MediaPlayer or any other Avi
> players.
> > I have also re-installed all the avi and mci dll's and drv's.
> > It would appear that there is something sick in the Windoze video
> processing
> > department. I've tried Microstupids knowledge base, but it only gives me
> > irrelevant information.
> > Could you or ANYBODY advise me as to the best place to go to get help
> > on this matter?
> > I would like to say this is a great ng. with very friendly and
> knowledgeable
> > people. It makes a change to be somewhere that isn't full of flames and
> > shouting - very refreshing :-)))

> > Any help - even good guesses - would be appreciated.
> > Please save my sanity <BWG>
> > Dave


 
 
 

A very frustrated novice :-)

Post by Dave Cav » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00



Quote:> You may be trying to use intel indeo 5.1
> I had the same problem myself a few months ago. After a lot of
> investigating, I found out that 5.1 only supports frames of a certain size,
> so when I would try to get an avi out of it, I'd get an error message saying
> it couldn't write to the file, but I could with the other codecs. This sound
> like it? If not, try uninstalling your codecs from the multimedia control
> panel, and then reinstalling them.

Many thanks, 'Wavy'. The problem you described certainly appears to be related
to my problem. I did as suggested - zapped all the codecs (video compression)
and re-installed them. Still no success:-(
Incidentally, I am using/have Indeo 5.11 plus other indeo codecs - is that
relevant ?
I have come to a conclusion (probably wrong <G>), that the problem is that the
various programs I use are not actually finding or recognising the codecs I have
installed on my system ... e.g.. I have an mpg to avi converter that tells me it
can't write
an avi file because it can't find any compression codecs.
That leads to the question - how does a program find or associate itself with
the installed codecs - could it be that Windozy '98  is screwed up in some way
(registry ???) ...???
My frustration increases daily. Of all the ng's, and so called experts, I have
spoken
to, your post has been the only 'similarity' I have come across .... which
indicates
that you may be on the right track - but the codec 'association' factor seems to
be
at the root of the problem.
I have no hairs left to tear out ... please ... any further suggestions ???
Dave C. :-)))
 
 
 

1. frustrated CEO

No wonder you're frustrated. Not everyone can read this. Sales low?

a decri??o que feita, corresponde a uma perturba??o de personalidade
(vulgo "psicopatia") chamada de narcisismo, ou aquilo a que Kernberg
chamaria de "personaliade narcisista maligna".
tudo, que tudo o que os outros fazem se deve a eles, elogiam e bajulam as
pessoas como forma de as seduzir, mas seguidamente insultam-nas e
criticam-nas pelas costas como forma de demonstrarem superioridade;
"bestiais", mas depressa passam a "bestas" quando se atrevem a dizer a
verdade e a queixarem-se dos problemas. Quando a auto-imagem de perfei??o
que o narcisista tem, colocada em causa, ele pode inclusivamente
psicotizar,
ir destruir as suas carreiras, chegando mesmo a acreditar que a critica
infundada e motivada por uma conspira??o de invejosos... tratamento?
Psicoterapia! Muita! Mas estas pessoas s come?am a encarar esta hipotese
quando chegam aos 40-50 e come?am a ver que,
psicopata que precisa de ser detido, seja na pris?o ou no Jlio de MAtos
(Hospital dos doentes mentais).

2. Exmachina is looking for renderman artist.

3. Boggling My Multi-Frustrated Mind

4. path saving

5. Frustrated by image file types...

6. KPT2 filters make Mac need re-start. Please help...

7. Frustrated with QuickTime

8. Fill algoritm wanted.

9. Frustrated with Right Mouse Button (GL)

10. Frustrated Non-imaginative Beginner who wants a pretty picture

11. New to group...really frustrated

12. Text --> frustrating