Galileo Installation Problem under IRIX 5.3

Galileo Installation Problem under IRIX 5.3

Post by VMI » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I just purchased Galileo Video card and boxd for Indigo2.  I have
installed the card on top of my extreme graphic board set and hooked the
external breakout box using the provided cable.

After starting the computer, hinv doesn't show any indication that I
have the Galileo Video board installed.  After installing the softimage,
all I get is the error messages.

Once I rebooted the computer after installing the software that came
with video board, the system doesn't boot automatically.  I get the
following instruction:

mv /unix /var/tmp/unix.old
autoconfig -v

I did according to the instruction and the computer was not able to
boot.  I had to make new file system and reinstall all operating
system.  Any solution to this problem?  Thanks.

Joseph
VMI

p.s. My hardware configuration:
        Indigo2 R4400 200MHZ Extreme w/ 160mb RAM
        IRIX 5.3

Post by Alexis Cousei » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I just purchased Galileo Video card and boxd for Indigo2.  I have
> installed the card on top of my extreme graphic board set and hooked the
> external breakout box using the provided cable.

> After starting the computer, hinv doesn't show any indication that I
> have the Galileo Video board installed.  After installing the softimage,
> all I get is the error messages.

> Once I rebooted the computer after installing the software that came
> with video board, the system doesn't boot automatically.  I get the
> following instruction:

> mv /unix /var/tmp/unix.old
> autoconfig -v

> I did according to the instruction and the computer was not able to
> boot.  I had to make new file system and reinstall all operating
> system.  Any solution to this problem?  Thanks.

Replied by private email. Something's wrong with the kernel rebuild.

--
Alexis Cousein
Sales Support Engineer

Post by Bob Gree » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I just purchased Galileo Video card and boxd for Indigo2.  I have
> installed the card on top of my extreme graphic board set and hooked the
> external breakout box using the provided cable.

> After starting the computer, hinv doesn't show any indication that I
> have the Galileo Video board installed.  After installing the softimage,
> all I get is the error messages.

> Once I rebooted the computer after installing the software that came
> with video board, the system doesn't boot automatically.  I get the
> following instruction:

> mv /unix /var/tmp/unix.old
> autoconfig -v

> I did according to the instruction and the computer was not able to
> boot.  I had to make new file system and reinstall all operating
> system.  Any solution to this problem?  Thanks.

If I remember correctly there are multiple versions of the Galileo
software on the same CD.  The instructions included in the package
should have pointed you to a specific version for your particular
operating system.  This software is very release sensitive.

Good luck,
Bob

Quote:> Joseph

--

Silicon Graphics Computer Systems       Phone: (415) 933-3438

Mountain View, CA 94039                 Home Page: http://rains.engr/~bobg/

1. Problem porting X application from IRIX 5.3 to IRIX 6.4

In porting C code containing the statement:

                if (!XStoreColor (......

the IRIX 6.4 cc compiler generates the error message:

        .... error(1041): expression must have arithmetic or pointer
type

The following difference was noted in the /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h file:

                v 5.3: external XStoreColor ( ......

                v 6.4: external void XStoreColor ( .......

Does this indicate a change in the X library?

2. BIG Ideas

3. IrisGL problem: IRIX 5.3 --> IRIX 6.2

4. Locate 3d Object

5. Irix 5.3 DISPLAY Problem

6. that Ol' swift fer lightwave...

7. Problem with mpeg-player on IRIX 5.3

8. Dithered colors? How do I avoid?

9. IRIX 5.3 on an Impact -- X Windows problems

10. problem with movieplayer (IRIX 5.3)

11. Autocad Release 13 Display Problems/Irix 5.3/Sgi Indy

12. Problem with OpenInventor, IRIX 5.3 and personal iris.

13. Problem with Draggers with IRIX 5.3