Power mac software

Post by Josh Orfanak » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 13:03:49

Does anybody know of any power mac software? What about a pics
viewer/converter. That would be nice, soooo fast.

Power mac software

Post by Hagen Ho » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 21:54:35

JPEGview 3.2 is in powermac code, fat binary and 680X0

You can get it from guru.med.cornell.edu in pub/jpegview

Cheers,
Hagen

Power mac software

Post by Tony Linds » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 22:10:51

> Does anybody know of any power mac software? What about a pics
> viewer/converter. That would be nice, soooo fast.

JPEGView is now out on the Internet in both PowerPC and 68040 versions - I
set up a "Slide Show" store demo where 25 JPEG images from the Smithsonian
Institute are slammed on the screen as fast as possible.

It runs around 5 times faster on the PowerPC 7100 than on the Quadra 650.

===================  * * * *  ========================================
Tony in San Diego     *   *       Hey!  It's a BEAR thing for me, too!

======================  *  ===========================================

Power mac software

Post by Brian Low » Sat, 09 Apr 1994 03:21:18

> Does anybody know of any power mac software? What about a pics
> viewer/converter. That would be nice, soooo fast.

  Premiere, FreeHand, FrameMaker are all due out soon I believe, and
JPEGview is already in PowerPC code (as a fat binary so it will also run on
old Macs).  I believe the PICS format has been superceded almost completely
by the Quicktime MooV format, so don't hold your breath waiting for a PICS
player for PowerPC.  Quicktime on the PowerPC's is already native in part,
and will get even faster when v2.0 is released.

--

Brian Lowry

Power mac software

Post by John Churchil » Sun, 10 Apr 1994 06:11:53

>  Premiere, FreeHand, FrameMaker are all due out soon I believe, and
>JPEGview is already in PowerPC code (as a fat binary so it will also run
on
>old Macs).  I believe the PICS format has been superceded almost
completely
>by the Quicktime MooV format, so don't hold your breath waiting for a
PICS
>player for PowerPC.  Quicktime on the PowerPC's is already native in
part,
>and will get even faster when v2.0 is released.

Premiere 4.0 on CD-ROM (only) is supposed to be out on May 25, for a mere
$79 for registered owners of 3.0 (like me).  Both 680x0 and PPC versions
will be on the same disk.

But what about Quicktime 2.0?  Is MPEG compression on a PPC fast enough
so that it makes hardware compression useless?  That's what I want to
know (as an owner of a 660av whose AV options leave him without a empty
slot...)