can't rotate large tiff (or pnm) images

Post by Howard Fost » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm trying to rotate large tiff images, about
4 MB in size.  I've tried to convert to pnm
and run pnmrotate, but I get...

        pnmrotate: out of memory allocating an array

If I try to reduce the image size with ppmquant,
I get...

        ppmquant: out of memory allocating an array

xv with -nolimits resamples the image to a smaller
size which is unacceptable in this application.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Howard

--

   candidate^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H, (got it!) Environmental
   Planning, UC Berkeley.  Phone: 510-848-1241

Post by ta » Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hi all,

>I'm trying to rotate large tiff images, about
>4 MB in size.  I've tried to convert to pnm
>and run pnmrotate, but I get...

>    pnmrotate: out of memory allocating an array

>If I try to reduce the image size with ppmquant,
>I get...

>    ppmquant: out of memory allocating an array

>xv with -nolimits resamples the image to a smaller
>size which is unacceptable in this application.

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

>-Howard

>--

>   candidate^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H, (got it!) Environmental
>   Planning, UC Berkeley.  Phone: 510-848-1241

use pnmcut and chop the image into blocks, rotate the blocks,
then merge them into the new order.

regards,
        tal

--

Maxtal Pty Ltd,             WEB: http://www.maxtal.com.au/~tal/
81A Glebe Point Rd, GLEBE   Phone (home): 61-2-557-4050

1. Impressario doesn't print large TIFFs on HP DesignJet 450C

You didn't really need this RAM upgrade for color plots...

Well, the StylusProXL is actually a 720 DPI device.  I don't know if the
current Impressario drivers rip at this resolution or still do things at
360 DPI with a 2x2 halftone cell (like they used to).

Well, they are *not* identical to the driver point-of-view (the 450C
does not recognize the same PJL commands, for example)...

What I suspect is happening is that you are running out of RAM &
temporary space on your system disk (either in /tmp or /var/tmp).
Impressario converts all image files to PostScript and then RIPs the
resulting file to an image the printer can handle - this can generate
enormous temporary files and use a lot of memory (RAM/swap) as well.

Check your /var/adm/SYSLOG file for "out of swap" or "disk full"
messages...

(FWIW, our ESP Print software has an image file RIP that only needs
enough RAM/swap to hold the original image - no temporary space is
needed.  See "http://www.easysw.com"...)

 Mike Sweet        Software for SGI and Sun      Easy Software Products
 (301) 373-9603          Workstations          44145 Airport View Drive

        SUPPORT THE ANTI-SPAM AMENDMENT! - http://www.cauce.org

2. fractals with dimension greater than 3?

3. conversion from pnm to TIFF RGB

4. Good site !!!!!!!!!!

5. Internships around Chicago Area

6. Converting Large images to thumbnails (tiff->?)

7. Single frame recording with a MAC-AV

8. Tools for VERY large TIFF image.

9. TIFF image edit/rotate tool wanted

10. Looking for a utility to rotate TIFF image