Utah Teapot ???

Post by Ralf Treuhe » Thu, 06 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hello !

I'm desperately searching for the "Utah Teapot" object.
If anybody knows of an ftp-site, please tell me.
Amiga formats like Imagine,Real3d and Maxon Cinema preferred.

Thank you in advance,

  Ralf !

| Ralf Treuherz                                                      |

Utah Teapot ???

Post by Steven Ok » Fri, 07 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: Hello !

: I'm desperately searching for the "Utah Teapot" object.
: If anybody knows of an ftp-site, please tell me.
: Amiga formats like Imagine,Real3d and Maxon Cinema preferred.

Try the avalon archive. I know it has it in there several if not multiple
times. Also try gatekeeper.dec.com and get the OFF library from
/pub/graphics/off(I *think*, don't shoot the graphics geek if he's wrong
please) or try staff.cs.su.oz.au under /stephen/off.
These aren't directly in Amiga format mind you, but OFF is pretty easy to
understand or convert from/to.

Hope that helps,
-----Steve

Utah Teapot ???

Post by blair bosti » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>: I'm desperately searching for the "Utah Teapot" object.
>: If anybody knows of an ftp-site, please tell me.
>: Amiga formats like Imagine,Real3d and Maxon Cinema preferred.

I've seen the Utah Teapot many times and I've always wondered what its
history is. Anybody know?

Blair

Utah Teapot ???

Post by Frank McCormi » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: I've seen the Utah Teapot many times and I've always wondered what its
: history is. Anybody know?

Quoting from "Three-Dimensional Computer Graphics" by Alan Watt:

        In 1975 M. Newell (at the University of Utah) developed the
        Utah teapot...  He did this by sketching the profile of the
        teapot to estimate suitable control points for bicubic
        Bezier patches.  The lid, rim and body of the teapot were then
        treated as solids of revolution and the spout and the handle
        were treated as ducted solids.  This resulted, eventually,
        in 32 patches, the data for which is reproduced (in
        Appendix D of the book).

        The original teapot is now in the Boston Computer Museum,
        displayed along side its computer alter ego.

The teapot has since become ubiquitous (to say the least).  When
I was at SIGGRAPH 92, it seemed as if one could define a new game --
"Spot the pot"!

Utah Teapot ???

Post by Sra-Jh » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>>: I'm desperately searching for the "Utah Teapot" object.
>>: If anybody knows of an ftp-site, please tell me.
>>: Amiga formats like Imagine,Real3d and Maxon Cinema preferred.

>I've seen the Utah Teapot many times and I've always wondered what its
>history is. Anybody know?

I have what you are looking for. I have the teapot for Imagine in an .OBJ
file format.  E-mail me for details on how we could transfer it.  I am
using Imagine 3.0 for the PC. I have a few more objects as well.

Utah Teapot ???

Post by Kari Juhani Kivisa » Sun, 16 Jul 1995 04:00:00

More info:
January & September 1987 Comuter Graphics & Applications

--
K.K. http://www.hut.fi/~kkivisal/

1. Wanted: The UTAH teapot in 3dstudio ascii format

Does anyone with 3d studio know if the utah
teapot is one of the standard shapes??

If it is (or even if it isn't) could anyone
who knows please send me it preferably in ascii
format but otherwise whatever will do

thanks in advance
---------------------------------

"If all the world's a stage....
 then Steven Fry's f***ed!!"

GAME ON!
---------------------------------

2. MeshMart News

3. The Utah Teapot

4. *.SVX format. Do you know it?

5. The Utah teapot

6. 100 Textures for only 2.99 per pack, currently five packs available - If interested read the post.

7. Utah Teapot : Where to find data for Bezier patches?`

8. Wanted: UTAH teapot data...

9. Utah teapot file?

10. 3D-data for Utah-teapot

11. One last note on the utah teapot