Collision detection w/Inventor

Post by Bruce Tenna » Wed, 08 Jun 1994 06:24:14

I've got a question pertaining to overlap detection in the 3D space
environment of Inventor/OpenInventor.  I was curious if there are any
examples of overlap or collision methods out there or any built in features
of inventor that would allow easy detection of.  I noticed on the 5.1.1.2
system that there's a demo in GL that does elsticity and such with a box
bouncing into walls.  Would it be possible to get the source code for that
demo?  I ordered the games demo/source cd offered for inventor a few weeks
back(yet to recieve it though) and am hoping it has some examples of this.  I
guess what I want to know is there any built in features that will determine
if a vertext lies within an object and such.

Also, this may have been answered previously, but I may have missed it.  Has
the OpeInventor Toolkit(not the Mentor book) been released yet?  Last I knew,
which was before I was put on this project(I should say last check) it wasn't
out yet.

If anyone can point me to any souce examples or such for overlap/collision
detection I'd greatly appreciate it.

EMail would be greatly appreciated as I don't get time to check the newsreader
as often as I'd like.

Bruce Tennant

1. Collision detection in Inventor

I am writing an application using Inventor that consists of moving
cylinders that leave a "trail" (NURB curves) that represent their path
of motion in 3-space.  Does anyone know how to tell if the moving
cylinder runs into one of the "trails" or other static objects in the
scenegraph?  Any help would be most appreciated.  This one has me
stumped.

Thanks,

Tim

--
Tim S. Smith                       |
Scientist                          | Of course any opinions expressed

2. Solution for Picking Objects / Translating Screen to World Coordinates

3. Collision Detection in Inventor

4. New images and downloads

5. Open Inventor collision detection

6. Cube map...

7. Inventor - quaternions & collision detection

8. Question: I get object require map coordinates and may not render

9. Collision detection with open inventor

10. 3D collision detection using collision map

11. Request for help regarding collision detection

12. collision detection and z-buffer

13. QD3D is best for Collision Detection Game?