Texture stages in DX8 & GeForce 2 GTS

Post by Uffe Zeuthe » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:27:25

DirectX8 & GF2

Since Direct3D doesn't allow direct access to the register combiners, I'm
trying
to use DX8's texture stages instead. And I'm not very willing to settle with
2 lousy texture stages.

I've read Doug Roger's "TNT 8 Stage Setup in Direct3D", which explains how
the nVidia Riva TNT & TNT2 texture combiners are mapped to the 8 texture
stages in Direct3D.

I've also tried to get nVidia's BlendView to generate code for me, and it's
seems to
generate correct DX7-code.

BUT! This is for DX7 in combination with TNT/TNT2 . I'm coding for
GeForce 2 and in DX8 and it seems I just cannot get it right. I've searched
through all nVidia's papers, but there is nothing on the mapping in DX8.

OpenGL is well-supported and exposes full access to the register combiners,
but there is one single reason why I've switched to DX8 for this
application,
and that is the render-to-texture-function, which is NOT supported by OpenGL
(yet).

I hope someone out there has the key....

Thank you for your time!

Uffe Zeuthen

Texture stages in DX8 & GeForce 2 GTS

Post by Asshen Shuga » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 04:53:32

What the hell do you ask about DX on this newsgroup ???

Ash

Quote:> DirectX8 & GF2

> Since Direct3D doesn't allow direct access to the register combiners, I'm
> trying
> to use DX8's texture stages instead. And I'm not very willing to settle
with
> 2 lousy texture stages.

> I've read Doug Roger's "TNT 8 Stage Setup in Direct3D", which explains how
> the nVidia Riva TNT & TNT2 texture combiners are mapped to the 8 texture
> stages in Direct3D.

> I've also tried to get nVidia's BlendView to generate code for me, and
it's
> seems to
> generate correct DX7-code.

> BUT! This is for DX7 in combination with TNT/TNT2 . I'm coding for
> GeForce 2 and in DX8 and it seems I just cannot get it right. I've
searched
> through all nVidia's papers, but there is nothing on the mapping in DX8.

> OpenGL is well-supported and exposes full access to the register
combiners,
> but there is one single reason why I've switched to DX8 for this
> application,
> and that is the render-to-texture-function, which is NOT supported by
OpenGL
> (yet).

> I hope someone out there has the key....

> Thank you for your time!

> Uffe Zeuthen

Texture stages in DX8 & GeForce 2 GTS

Post by yooy » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 05:11:51

Quote:> and that is the render-to-texture-function, which is NOT supported by
OpenGL
> (yet).

You can render and grab image from BackBuffer without SwapBuffers.

Texture stages in DX8 & GeForce 2 GTS

Post by Aim7 » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 06:28:42

what newsgroup are u reading from?

all the ones he crossposted to seem to be about graphics or directx or
programming

Quote:> What the hell do you ask about DX on this newsgroup ???

dont u mean "why" anyway?

Post by Uffe Zeuthe » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:00:12

Quote:> > and that is the render-to-texture-function, which is NOT supported by
> OpenGL
> > (yet).

> You can render and grab image from BackBuffer without SwapBuffers.

Yes I know, and I've also used this approach in my prototype. But I'm doing
1000+ grabs pr. frame which makes it an unattacktive solution.

1. Texture stages in DX8 & GeForce 2 GTS

[...]

2. Free 3DS MAX So. Calif. Seminars!

3. help w/ ventura 8

4. DX8 and GeForce 256, GeForce 2 GTS and GeForce 2 Mx

5. ICSC'95 Call for Participation

6. A problem about construct 3D Models

7. GeForce 2 GTS or GeForce 2 Pro??

8. Softimage XSI v1 & Geforce 2 GTS

9. Only 1 Paletted Texture for all Texture Stages?!?!?!

10. Selection Tools and my Geforce 2 GTS