Call For Discussion: comp.lang.idl-pvwave

Call For Discussion: comp.lang.idl-pvwave

Post by Ralph Fin » Thu, 17 May 1990 10:46:53

CALL FOR DISCUSSION: creation of comp.lang.idl-pvwave

[Sorry if this is the 2nd time you've seen this, our news system
picked this week to act up]

Please direct followups to news.groups

This is to start a discussion about creating a group for a language
called either IDL or PV-Wave (depending on whom you buy it from).
Items to be discussed are primarily whether to create a new group, or
rename the existing comp.lang.idl (see fuller explanation below) and
the group name.

Proposed Name:          comp.lang.idl-pvwave

Discussion period:      Through June 1, 1990.

Charter: An unmoderated newsgroup for discussing the programming
language known as both Interactive [Data/Display] Language (IDL) and
PV-Wave (Precision Visuals Workstation Analysis and Visualization
Environment).  Topics will be programming tips, techniques, and code
exchanges, either full programs or fragments.  A program archive site
may be started; however that possibility will be discussed only after
the proposed newsgroup is formed, not during the current discussion
period.  The proposed group is intended primarily to discuss numerical
analysis, imaging, scientific visualization, etc.  *as performed using
the IDL/Wave language*; it is not intended to support discussions
concerning those topics directly, as groups already exist for those
purposes (e.g. sci.math.num-analysis).

Background: There exist 2 very similar forms of the same language, IDL
and PV-Wave.  IDL is produced by Research Systems in Boulder,
Colorado; PV-Wave by Precision Visuals also in Boulder.  PV-Wave is
derived from IDL, so for the purpose of this discussion they can be
considered the same language, which I will refer to as IDL/Wave.  The
language is used both interactively and as a programming language for
data analysis/reduction, display of data by means of 2- and 3-D plots,
images, simple animation, etc.  It runs on DEC and Sun workstations,
and perhaps others.

There currently exists the group comp.lang.idl, which was formed some
time ago apparently for the purposes of discussing the Interface
Description Language, which has other uses entirely than IDL/Wave.  A
while ago a discussion started on that group as to what comp.lang.idl
was for.  Three basic suggestions came out of that discussion: form a
completely new group; rename comp.lang.idl to comp.lang.idl-pvwave; or
use the group with its current name to talk about IDL/Wave.  The last
is undesirable because of the lack of name identification, see below.

1) Create new group: The advantage is that we don't "hijack" somebody
else's group, and "wave" appears in the group name.  The disadvantage
is that another low-volume group is created (the existing .idl group
has very little traffic, and most of that is now about IDL/Wave).

2) Rename existing .idl group to .idl-pvwave: Advantage is we don't
create another group, and "wave" appears in the group name;
disadvantage is we bother somebody else's group.

3) Don't do anything, just talk about IDL/Wave using .idl.  Advantage:
easiest course of action, and we'll do this if we don't get enough
votes.  Big disadvantage is the users of PV-Wave (not IDL) would never
realize that the group discusses their language, thus limiting its
usefulness.

This Call For Discussion does not constitute an endor*t of any
product or company.
--
Ralph Finch                     916-445-0088

Any opinions expressed are my own; they do not represent the DWR

1. 2nd CALL FOR VOTES: comp.lang.idl-pvwave

2nd CALL FOR VOTES: creation of comp.lang.idl-pvwave

This is to solict votes to create a group for a language called either
IDL or PV-Wave (depending on whom you buy it from).

Group Name:     comp.lang.idl-pvwave

Vote period:    Through June 25, 1990.
[this changed from June 22 in the 1st CFV to conform with the 21 day
voting period in the guidelines]

To vote: send mail to

Replying to this message should work.

Indicate clearly in the subject and/or message whether your vote is
YES or NO for creating comp.lang.idl-pvwave.  Qualified votes ("I vote
yes if...."), votes posted to a group, or unclear votes cannot be
counted.  I'll reply to each vote individually; a mass acknowledgment
will be made at the end.  [I haven't been able to respond to a few
addresses, those people should look for the mass acknowledgement]

Charter: An unmoderated newsgroup for discussing the programming
language known as both Interactive [Data/Display] Language (IDL) and
PV-Wave (Precision Visuals Workstation Analysis and Visualization
Environment).  Topics will be programming tips, techniques, and code
exchanges, either full programs or fragments.  The proposed group is
intended primarily to discuss numerical analysis, imaging, scientific
visualization, etc.  *as performed using the IDL/Wave language*; it is
not intended to support discussions concerning those topics directly,
as groups already exist for those purposes (e.g.
sci.math.num-analysis).

The existing group comp.lang.idl is for the Interface Description
Language, something else entirely.

This Call For Votes does not constitute an endorsement of any product
or company.

--
Ralph Finch                     916-445-0088

Any opinions expressed are my own; they do not represent the DWR

2. Font problems..

3. CALL FOR VOTES: comp.lang.idl-pvwave

4. analyze to vtk

5. comp.lang.idl-pvwave passes

6. VR device

7. CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.graphics.interviews

8. Second call for discussion comp.org.Boston Computer Society

9. CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.graphics.phigs

10. Call for Discussion: comp.japan.research

11. Call for Discussion: comp.benchmarks

12. call fo discussion: comp.dcom.fax