Amalgamating Jpeg collections

Post by Douggie Dou » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've just got myself a lot of new hard disk space and I want to tidy up and
re-catalogue three separate collections of Jpegs (maybe 8,000 pix in all).
And I want to eliminate duplicates - but I also want to be able to choose
which duplicate is best, and only trash inferior copies.

If I just drag one file of Jpegs into another file, I get only one choice -
replace duplicates with the dragged pix. No good.

I could use Graphic Converter to list all files, then manually locate and
compare - but there might well be 4 or 5 duplicates...  Too tedious.

Graphic Converter is also useful for minor cataloguing because I can
drag/drop previews - but I cab only see a maximum of 4 rows of 5 previews
at a time.And I can't rename previews - I have to open the file, rename in
the Finder and re-open GC to re-locate the pic.

So is there an elegant way to first eliminate inferior duplicates, then
re-arrange and re-name large quantities of pictures?

DD

PS- I also have pix off the Web in Netscape format, which I can't view in
the same file as Jpegs. Can I reformat these to Jpeg or another
configuration to view together?

Post by defi » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> OK, so I'm a *ographer, but am I the only *o fiend in these news
> groups? After 10 days, not one reply to a question about what must be a
> common problem!
> Perhaps I should move over to Wintel...

> ************************************

Sounds like a real self-starter there.

DEFI

Amalgamating Jpeg collections

Post by Penis Van Lesbi » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

You might use an image cataloguing program like the shareware iView, or
commercial
packages like Canto Cumulus or Extensis Fetch. All of these programs generate
thumbnail contact sheets, which make for speedy previews, although you
might still have
to do some manual comparisons among like images to select those of the
best quality.
These are the only ones I can think of offhand.
You might try posting your question to some of the binaries newsgroups and
some of
the web sites as well to find out what others are using.
-L

--
Diplomacy: the fine art of saying "nice doggie" while you're looking for a rock.

Post by Douggie Dou » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

OK, so I'm a *ographer, but am I the only *o fiend in these news
groups? After 10 days, not one reply to a question about what must be a
common problem!
Perhaps I should move over to Wintel...

************************************

> I've just got myself a lot of new hard disk space and I want to tidy up and
> re-catalogue three separate collections of Jpegs (maybe 8,000 pix in all).
> And I want to eliminate duplicates - but I also want to be able to choose
> which duplicate is best, and only trash inferior copies.

> If I just drag one file of Jpegs into another file, I get only one choice -
> replace duplicates with the dragged pix. No good.

> I could use Graphic Converter to list all files, then manually locate and
> compare - but there might well be 4 or 5 duplicates...  Too tedious.

> Graphic Converter is also useful for minor cataloguing because I can
> drag/drop previews - but I cab only see a maximum of 4 rows of 5 previews
> at a time.And I can't rename previews - I have to open the file, rename in
> the Finder and re-open GC to re-locate the pic.

> So is there an elegant way to first eliminate inferior duplicates, then
> re-arrange and re-name large quantities of pictures?

> DD

> PS- I also have pix off the Web in Netscape format, which I can't view in
> the same file as Jpegs. Can I reformat these to Jpeg or another
> configuration to view together?

Amalgamating Jpeg collections

Post by sjwri.. » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

No, instead try "QuickNailer 1.4.1." I got it off a Mac* CD-ROM
(Feb98), and I'll probably, before too long, be uploading it to the Mac
apps archive I started on my personal page on my ISP.

Steve Wright
PS: if this app was mentioned already, please excuse my redundancy.

>OK, so I'm a *ographer, but am I the only *o fiend in these news
>groups? After 10 days, not one reply to a question about what must be a
>common problem!
>Perhaps I should move over to Wintel...

>************************************

>> I've just got myself a lot of new hard disk space and I want to tidy up and
>> re-catalogue three separate collections of Jpegs (maybe 8,000 pix in all).
>> And I want to eliminate duplicates - but I also want to be able to choose
>> which duplicate is best, and only trash inferior copies.

>> If I just drag one file of Jpegs into another file, I get only one choice -
>> replace duplicates with the dragged pix. No good.

>> I could use Graphic Converter to list all files, then manually locate and
>> compare - but there might well be 4 or 5 duplicates...  Too tedious.

>> Graphic Converter is also useful for minor cataloguing because I can
>> drag/drop previews - but I cab only see a maximum of 4 rows of 5 previews
>> at a time.And I can't rename previews - I have to open the file, rename in
>> the Finder and re-open GC to re-locate the pic.

>> So is there an elegant way to first eliminate inferior duplicates, then
>> re-arrange and re-name large quantities of pictures?

>> DD

>> PS- I also have pix off the Web in Netscape format, which I can't view in
>> the same file as Jpegs. Can I reformat these to Jpeg or another
>> configuration to view together?

--
the gender of the sender is male. hazelnut is a coffee. hope that clears
things up. sjw.

NOSPAM

Amalgamating Jpeg collections

Post by Stephen J. Wrigh » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Well, I went ahead and did it. I uploaded Quicknailer's installer to:

www.tiac.net/users/sjwright/soc_mac

It's shareware ($18 single-user, u-pay-Kagi sorta deal), and the author
encourages sharing it.

Have a ball.
----------

>No, instead try "QuickNailer 1.4.1." I got it off a Mac* CD-ROM
>(Feb98), and I'll probably, before too long, be uploading it to the Mac
>apps archive I started on my personal page on my ISP.

>Steve Wright
>PS: if this app was mentioned already, please excuse my redundancy.

>>OK, so I'm a *ographer, but am I the only *o fiend in these news
>>groups? After 10 days, not one reply to a question about what must be a
>>common problem!
>>Perhaps I should move over to Wintel...

>>************************************

>>> I've just got myself a lot of new hard disk space and I want to tidy up
and
>>> re-catalogue three separate collections of Jpegs (maybe 8,000 pix in
all).
>>> And I want to eliminate duplicates - but I also want to be able to
choose
>>> which duplicate is best, and only trash inferior copies.

>>> If I just drag one file of Jpegs into another file, I get only one
choice -
>>> replace duplicates with the dragged pix. No good.

>>> I could use Graphic Converter to list all files, then manually locate
and
>>> compare - but there might well be 4 or 5 duplicates...  Too tedious.

>>> Graphic Converter is also useful for minor cataloguing because I can
>>> drag/drop previews - but I cab only see a maximum of 4 rows of 5
previews
>>> at a time.And I can't rename previews - I have to open the file, rename
in
>>> the Finder and re-open GC to re-locate the pic.

>>> So is there an elegant way to first eliminate inferior duplicates, then
>>> re-arrange and re-name large quantities of pictures?

>>> DD

>>> PS- I also have pix off the Web in Netscape format, which I can't view
in
>>> the same file as Jpegs. Can I reformat these to Jpeg or another
>>> configuration to view together?

>--
>the gender of the sender is male. hazelnut is a coffee. hope that clears
>things up. sjw.

>NOSPAM

1. how to amalgamate polygones ???

Do you mean that there are some useless faces (those in the middle part of
the ship)?

Use Optimize modifier.

or

In the sub object vertex mode delete those useless vertexes. Then change to
face editing mode (sub object faces) and build those faces that are needed.
Remember that each face is built of three vertexes. First click the Build
Face button. Then you have to select those three vertexes counter clockwise
to make the face point towards the "camera."

-Mika

2. lighting help

3. JPEG to Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) encoder?

4. Napalm

5. Improving OpenGL Performance with large textures

6. Rotate JPEG Pictures and JPEG Quality

7. p-jpeg to jpeg in ms-dos 6.22

8. How to convert a Mac JPEG file into windows JPEG file

9. p-JPEG to b-JPEG converter?

10. (jpeg,MAC) to (jpeg,PC) !!!!