Guide hair displacement shaders

Post by Brian Bullo » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 05:21:12

Are there any example guide hair displacement shaders floating around??

Thanks

Guide hair displacement shaders

Post by Moritz Moelle » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:44:00

Brian,

Quote:> Are there any example guide hair displacement shaders floating around??

http://www.renderman.org/RMR/Shaders/IDShaders/index.html#IDhair should
be a good start.

But your are - in general - strongly advised to use RiCurves instead.

Regards,

Moritz

Guide hair displacement shaders

Post by Fredrik Gustafsso » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:21:08

There is 1 at "www.renderman.org" Ivan Dewolf if I remember correct.

regards
Fredrik Gustafsson

> Are there any example guide hair displacement shaders floating around??

> Thanks

Guide hair displacement shaders

Post by Brian Bullo » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:46:50

Quote:> But your are - in general - strongly advised to use RiCurves instead.

Indeed... That's the reason I'd like to use the guide hair method...

Create simple riCurves as guides for the hair and have locks form
around those guide hairs..

This method is used in LW's Sasquatch and probably every other variant
of hair creation.

EG:
Draw a curve...

create a cylindrical volume around that curve...

Inside that cylinder, create 4-8 cylinders, or bounding cylinders...

Create several other riCurves inside of these new cylinders...

So, we have some variables to create.. [ and a loop? ]

curveCount, count the number of riCurves we have
outerLock, the outerBoundary of each original riCurve
innerLock_xx, the innerBoundary where xx is the number of locks
surrounding the original riCurve

dupedLock, the result of duplicating the original riCurve with offset
and slight variance for each innerLock

When done looping for each curve, render that new result, I guess..

I'm not much of a renderman spec shader writer...
I'm taking experience from writing actionScript in Flash :/

would anyone have deeper incite of who I can pull this off?

Thanks

1. Fur/Hair Renderman surface/displacement shaders

Depends what you are using. PRMan now has the RiCurve primitive which
makes it easier to create hair and fur. As far as shaders are
concerned, during SIGGRAPH 97 there was a paper by Dan Goldman (ILM)
about their "fakefur" algorithm (used only for short fur). I think
it had a pretty good description that could/was applied as a RM
shader. It was used in 101 Dalmatians.

Also if I remember right the RenderMan Repository has a felt or velvet
shader.

Manuel Alducin
The George Washington University
CS: Computer Graphics

2. Control new image/picture control

3. Typestry - displacement shader?

4. free stuff for corel draw users

5. Typestry - displacement shader

6. Real3D demo for PC's

7. two displacement shader question

8. collision detection

9. Displacement Shader?

10. Combining surface and displacement shaders

11. Shadow pass, surface and displacement shader

12. displacement shaders interacting other object

13. Displacement shader applied to multiple polys