Difference between PPC 8100 AV and PPC 8100 with Radius card.

Difference between PPC 8100 AV and PPC 8100 with Radius card.

Post by Elwood B. Bredell I » Fri, 09 Dec 1994 17:40:59

I just found out I can get a PPC 8100 through my college very cheap but
they have very few of them left.  Before I can purchase one, however, I
need to know about the video capabilities of a non-AV PPC 8100 versus the
AV version.  I need to be able to capture and output full frame 30 frame
60 field NTSC video.  I'm used to using a Radius Videovision station on a
Quadra 950 at school.

Will I be messing up if I buy the PPC 8100 non-AV Macintosh and a Radius
VV card?

Can an AV equipped PPC 8100 capture and output full frame full speed?

Can the AV PPC 8100 control video equipment at all?

Is buying an AV PPC 8100 Mac the better way to go?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  The sooner the better
because I heard the cheap PPC 8100's are going to fly out the colleges
doors.  Thanks in advance for any responses and for taking the time to
read this.  eMail is better but here is fine.

--
Elwood B. Bredell III
-----------------------------

Difference between PPC 8100 AV and PPC 8100 with Radius card.

Post by Tim Lauz » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 23:27:17

Quote:> I just found out I can get a PPC 8100 through my college very cheap but
> they have very few of them left.  Before I can purchase one, however, I
> need to know about the video capabilities of a non-AV PPC 8100 versus the
> AV version.  I need to be able to capture and output full frame 30 frame
> 60 field NTSC video.  I'm used to using a Radius Videovision station on a
> Quadra 950 at school.

> Will I be messing up if I buy the PPC 8100 non-AV Macintosh and a Radius
> VV card?

> Can an AV equipped PPC 8100 capture and output full frame full speed?

> Can the AV PPC 8100 control video equipment at all?

> Is buying an AV PPC 8100 Mac the better way to go?

> Any information would be greatly appreciated.  The sooner the better
> because I heard the cheap PPC 8100's are going to fly out the colleges
> doors.  Thanks in advance for any responses and for taking the time to
> read this.  eMail is better but here is fine.

Elwood;

The PPC 8100-AV does not have the video compression hardware needed for 60
field, full frame video. If you buy an AV machine you can use a product
from Radius called SpigotPower AV. This is simply a compression card that
increases the performance of the machine to full screen, full motion. It's
only drawback is that since it uses the built-in AV encoder/decoder for
capture and playback, you are limited to 16-bit color. It's great for
multimedia stuff like CD-ROM authoring etc...

If you buy a NON-AV machine you can certainly add a VideoVision Studio and
get the performance you need. This set up will give you 24-bit video and
is perfect for both multimedia authoring and "print to tape".

E-mail me directly if you need further assistance.

Tim

--

Radius Inc.                     AOL: lauzon
D.C. Office               Applelink: lauzon

1. card for ppc 6100, 7100, 8100

hi

i just have a material question...
i've heard that newtek and some other compagnies produces accelerators
cards for poxwer mac 6100, 7100 and 8100.
this card can be connected with pds port.

does anyone ever test one?
does it provide full acceleration for graphic software?

thanks

2. Luminous Shadow Maps

3. FS: Mac PPC 8100/100

4. Bill boarding with Bill

5. PPC 8100 graphic crashes,HELP!

6. Gamma , hue, brightness

7. JPEGView 3.1.1 crashes on PPC 8100 when launched

8. Little Round-Tool Question

9. PPC 8100/80 forsale in Montreal.

10. For Trade: Mac 8100 AV card for HPV card

11. Mac 8100 PDS AV card?--anybody with experience?

12. AV card needed for PowerMac 8100/80