Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Peter Hewe » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Anyone have first hand experience with Microtek E6 or Mustek
Paragon SP1200? Both are 8.5x14, 600x1200 dpi, 30 bit scanners. I
had nightmarish experience with my Microtek IIg, no SCSI card, bad
main board, no Win 95 compatability, 8 bit card shorted my mother
board... Long (2-3 hour) waits for customer service, long
distance of course.
 I hate Microtek. But I heard they are better.
 I may consider the UMAX S12 scanner for about $100 more...

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Joe von Herrman » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Anyone have first hand experience with Microtek E6 or Mustek
> Paragon SP1200? Both are 8.5x14, 600x1200 dpi, 30 bit scanners. I
> had nightmarish experience with my Microtek IIg, no SCSI card, bad
> main board, no Win 95 compatability, 8 bit card shorted my mother
> board... Long (2-3 hour) waits for customer service, long
> distance of course.
>  I hate Microtek. But I heard they are better.
>  I may consider the UMAX S12 scanner for about $100 more...

Mustek sucks. They have the worst customer support I have ever
experienced. No 800 number. Voice mail system that keeps you on the toll
line for 15 minutes before telling you that "sorry our voice mail box is
full, call back later." They do not respond to faxes. When I finally
talked to a real person ans asked for a supervisor, I was told to call
Taiwan! Plus, the scanner aint all that hot to begin with. Buy anything
other than a Mustek.
--
Joe von Herrmann

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Rusty Wrig » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

You didn't mention HP.  When it comes to support, nobody comes close
to HP.  Especially since you're on Windows (like me) where from the
support perspective, it's like standing on quicksand.  If you read
this photoshop newsgroup a lot you'll see plenty of people posting
queries about a variety of problems they're having with other vendors'
scanners.

You can download the latest HP scanner drivers and software for
Windows 3.x, Windows 95, and Windows NT from their ftp site.

Those other scanners may have fantastic specs for the price, but if
you can't get it to work with whatever version of Windows you're
using, or a scsi card not made by the scanner manufacturer, etc.,
those great specs aren't worth a hill of beans.

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Lawrence S » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I had nightmarish experience with my Microtek IIg, no SCSI card, bad
> main board, no Win 95 compatability, 8 bit card shorted my mother
> board... Long (2-3 hour) waits for customer service, long
> distance of course.
>  I hate Microtek. But I heard they are better.

Better than what?  They stink.  I've had awful experiences with them too,
as have lots of people. Why would you want to repeat a bad experience? Buy
something else.

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Holly Sumn » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I guess I am one of the few who had a good experience with Microtek.
I bought a Scanmaker III, which did have a problem with the card - but
they quickly shipped another one via overnight.  Also the tech person
was very helpful - even though another problem didn't turn out to be
with the scanner.  He walked me through fixing it (and at one point
even called me back when he didn't have an answer) Can't debate the
initial long wait on the telephone, however - it was at least a 20
minute wait.

Smiles,

Holly
http://www.veryComputer.com/*-psychic/

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by robc.. » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I guess I am one of the few who had a good experience with Microtek.
>I bought a Scanmaker III, which did have a problem with the card - but
>they quickly shipped another one via overnight.  Also the tech person
>was very helpful - even though another problem didn't turn out to be
>with the scanner.  He walked me through fixing it (and at one point
>even called me back when he didn't have an answer) Can't debate the
>initial long wait on the telephone, however - it was at least a 20
>minute wait.

Like you, I've had the odd long telephone wait.  But I'm perfectly
happy with my ScanMaker IISP (although I have to say the bundled
ImageStar bitmap editor is pretty dang primitive).  When I called them
to ask about Win95 drivers, they sent me not only the revised drivers,
but - free of charge - an Adaptec SCSI card.

_________________

Rob Cottingham                          "Victoria, Naturally":

tel 604-480-1800                          biking and nature in
fax 604-480-1832                           BC's capital region

       http://www.islandnet.com/~robcott/vicnatur

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Lon Stowe » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>You didn't mention HP.  When it comes to support, nobody comes close
>to HP.  Especially since you're on Windows (like me) where from the
>support perspective, it's like standing on quicksand.  If you read
>this photoshop newsgroup a lot you'll see plenty of people posting
>queries about a variety of problems they're having with other vendors'
>scanners.

  Wow, musta missed all those.

  Canon makes a nice scanner that is both cheaper and better than
  the HP.

  The higher end of the Umax line is pretty good, you don't have
  to use their supplied scsi card, an adaptec works even better.

  The magic buzzwords for scanners are ASPI and TWAIN.  With those
  you can hook just about any decent scanner to just about any ASPI
  driver on a decent SCSI controller.

  I use an Envisions with the Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller, never
  burps, always works.  The same scanner also worked with a QLogic

  undocumented file you needed to install before it would work with
  disk drives properly.

Quote:>Those other scanners may have fantastic specs for the price, but if
>you can't get it to work with whatever version of Windows you're
>using, or a scsi card not made by the scanner manufacturer, etc.,
>those great specs aren't worth a hill of beans.

  True, but the picture is by far from as bleak as you state it.
  The neighbor's 8-year old can usually help with any adapter
  setup problems.

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by larry hal » Sun, 09 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I've had great luck with the UMAX. Good support too.

Larry Hales
- Desktop Publishing....Your Only Limitation is your Imagination  -
* * * * * Revere Graphics    http://www.fta.com/~revere * * * * * *

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Lawrence S » Sun, 09 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Please, folks, watch your quote attributions!  I did NOT say any of the
below (in fact I didn't say anything in that post at all) but from the top
of the message it looks like I did...

> I guess I am one of the few who had a good experience with Microtek.

GAAK!  I never said that!

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Tim Augusti » Mon, 10 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyone have first hand experience with Microtek E6 or Mustek
>Paragon SP1200? Both are 8.5x14, 600x1200 dpi, 30 bit scanners. I
>had nightmarish experience with my Microtek IIg, no SCSI card, bad
>main board, no Win 95 compatability, 8 bit card shorted my mother
>board... Long (2-3 hour) waits for customer service, long
>distance of course.
> I hate Microtek. But I heard they are better.
> I may consider the UMAX S12 scanner for about $100 more...

I recently bought the E6.  I was having trouble getting it up and running.
First IRQ conflicts (PC).  Tech support helped.  Then it would crash for no
apparent reason.  Discovered (another helpful call to tech supt.) that nearly
all of my problems have been lack of enough conventional memory.  Tech supt.
says you need a minimum of 540KB to run the scanner with PS.  I like the
scanner so far.  I am not widely experienced with scanners, but I am learning.
 We recently bought an HP4c at work.  I set that one up too, with no probelms.
 The results are very nice also.

Tim Augustine
Active Imagination Studios
A Creative Outlet

Have you noticed how much they look like orchids?  Lovely!

                                 Lazarus Long

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Jon Jacobi » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I had a great experience with Microtek. I also bought an E6 and had problems
installing it.  Called their tech support guy who identified the problem
almost immediately. . . a 6 foot cable I added to the scsi cable.  Removed it
and everything worked fine.

Having worked in tech support during some periods of my illustrious datacomm
career, I know that tech support can only be as accurate at the information
the receive and based on the experience of the tech you reach on any given
day.  Some have worked the same job for years and have seen everything, while
for others, you are their second caller and the are not even sure how to
plug in their telephone headset.  Friendly conversation, probing questions,
will usually expose an experience problem.  If you ask for someone else, you
will usually be passed to someone more helpful.

> >Anyone have first hand experience with Microtek E6 or Mustek
> >Paragon SP1200? Both are 8.5x14, 600x1200 dpi, 30 bit scanners. I
> >had nightmarish experience with my Microtek IIg, no SCSI card, bad
> >main board, no Win 95 compatability, 8 bit card shorted my mother
> >board... Long (2-3 hour) waits for customer service, long
> >distance of course.
> > I hate Microtek. But I heard they are better.
> > I may consider the UMAX S12 scanner for about $100 more...

> I recently bought the E6.  I was having trouble getting it up and running.
> First IRQ conflicts (PC).  Tech support helped.  Then it would crash for no
> apparent reason.  Discovered (another helpful call to tech supt.) that nearly
> all of my problems have been lack of enough conventional memory.  Tech supt.
> says you need a minimum of 540KB to run the scanner with PS.  I like the
> scanner so far.  I am not widely experienced with scanners, but I am learning.
>  We recently bought an HP4c at work.  I set that one up too, with no probelms.
>  The results are very nice also.

> Tim Augustine
> Active Imagination Studios
> A Creative Outlet

> Have you noticed how much they look like orchids?  Lovely!

>                                  Lazarus Long

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by jeff » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> >  I hate Microtek. But I heard they are better.

Just to muddy the waters, I've had a lowly Microtek Scanmaker II for ~4 years & have
had no problems with it.  I called tech support once & found them snooty, but got my
questions answered.  Now I just access their web page when I have questions or need
driver upgrades.
--
jeff clark       |
ArcheType        |Ich bin hier (und du bist mein Sofa).

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Chris Mah » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I've had great luck with the UMAX. Good support too.
>Larry Hales

I'll second that. I bought a UMax Vista S6E for $399.00 and am amazed
at the quality of the scans. Great OCR too.

Chris
Chris

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

 Check out The Practical Guide to Promoting Your Web Page
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=< http://www.1x.com/ >=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Scott Logsdo » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Sounds like you've been through the Mustek wringer as well. I bought a
Paragon 800SP last year. Worked fine until I realized just how much
tweaking in Photoshop I was doing to correct the bad scans. The
controls in it's acquire plugin are useless. I spent 45 minutes on hold
(toll call) only to be told that they will fix the driver in August -
maybe. What a useless company. I sold the scanner for $300 this week.
I'm thinking about the Scanmaker E6. I've been using a ScanMaker II and
LOVE the ScanWizard software. If the E6 works as well as the Mustek
SHOULD have, I'll be one happy camper.

> > Anyone have first hand experience with Microtek E6 or Mustek
> > Paragon SP1200? Both are 8.5x14, 600x1200 dpi, 30 bit scanners. I
> > had nightmarish experience with my Microtek IIg, no SCSI card, bad
> > main board, no Win 95 compatability, 8 bit card shorted my mother
> > board... Long (2-3 hour) waits for customer service, long
> > distance of course.
> >  I hate Microtek. But I heard they are better.
> >  I may consider the UMAX S12 scanner for about $100 more...

> Mustek sucks. They have the worst customer support I have ever
> experienced. No 800 number. Voice mail system that keeps you on the toll
> line for 15 minutes before telling you that "sorry our voice mail box is
> full, call back later." They do not respond to faxes. When I finally
> talked to a real person ans asked for a supervisor, I was told to call
> Taiwan! Plus, the scanner aint all that hot to begin with. Buy anything
> other than a Mustek.
> --
> Joe von Herrmann

Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Post by Lloyd O'Dani » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Anyone have first hand experience with Microtek E6 or Mustek
>Paragon SP1200? Both are 8.5x14, 600x1200 dpi, 30 bit scanners. I
>had nightmarish experience with my Microtek IIg, no SCSI card, bad
>main board, no Win 95 compatability, 8 bit card shorted my mother
>board... Long (2-3 hour) waits for customer service, long
>distance of course.
> I hate Microtek. But I heard they are better.
> I may consider the UMAX S12 scanner for about $100 more...

I bought a IIsp last year. I wish I hadn't. I'm around HP scanners at
work and they seem so much better built. Even my old SJ Plus at work
scans faster than the IIsp. I doubt if I will ever buy another
Microtek product, FWTW.

I bought my scanner primarily for OCR and just recent upgraded to two
Caere 32-bit packages. Nothing works with the scanner and the 32-bit
driver. Pagekeeper is 16-bit and is getting inverted scans, no matter
what I do to the .ini file. This is a total zero so far.

Lloyd O'Daniel

1. Microtek vs. Mustek vs. UMAX?

Anyone have first hand experience with Microtek E6 or Mustek
Paragon SP1200? Both are 8.5x14, 600x1200 dpi, 30 bit scanners. I
had nightmarish experience with my Microtek IIg, no SCSI card, bad
main board, no Win 95 compatability, 8 bit card shorted my mother
board... Long (2-3 hour) waits for customer service, long
distance of course.
 I hate Microtek. But I heard they are better.
 I may consider the UMAX S12 scanner for about $100 more...

2. Printing Problem

3. Scanner suggestions? HP vs Mustek vs Umax

4. Streaking Correction

5. UMAX VISTA S6E vs MICROTEK SCANMAKER E3 ??????????????

6. Microtek Scan Maker III vs. Umax Powerloo

7. Microtek vs. Umax

8. Linotype Saphir vs UMAX Powerlook II vs Agfa Arcus II

9. Linotype Saphit vs Umax Powerlook II vs Agfa Arcus II

10. Scanners: Linotype Saphir vs UMAX Powerlook II vs Agfa Arcus II

11. Umax Powerlook vs Umax Astra 1220s