Please name me 16 colors from the light-spectrum

Please name me 16 colors from the light-spectrum

Post by Nan-shan Ch » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Would you please point me to, or just quote me the
RGB values of at least 16 ORDERED color out of the
light-spectrum?

I hope/believe most of the people could distinguish/
tell these colors in their corrected order. (????)
They'll be used to colorize some data which are
quantized to (as many as possible) distinguishable
levels.

I thank you very much for your help

--
Nan-shan Chen, Pohlweg 47-49, 33098, FB14, Uni-Paderborn

Post by Charles P. Lam » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Would you please point me to, or just quote me the
> RGB values of at least 16 ORDERED color out of the
> light-spectrum?

> I hope/believe most of the people could distinguish/
> tell these colors in their corrected order. (????)
> They'll be used to colorize some data which are
> quantized to (as many as possible) distinguishable
> levels.

The major problem in answering your question is that there are no
standards for what the RGB values me in terms of color perception.
Everyone who writes a file, and everyone who reads a file is allowed to
interpret the numbers as they like.  Is this for display on a CRT on in
print?  When displayed on a CRT the red, green, and blue values are
usually interpreted as fractions of the CRT drive voltage for each
phosphor.  Some standards, such as the X Window System, assign english
names to some of the various RGB values.  The TIFF file format allows
but does not require specification of what the numbers mean.  If you are
using these colors for CRT display your best bet is determine the RGB
values experimentally.  Keep in mind that distances in RGB space and not
perceptually equal.  For example, 255 255 255, is not twice as bright as
128 128 128; its not even close.  Color spaces which much more closely
approximate distances with visual differences are Luv and Lab.

Charles P. Lamb