Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by D. Lewi » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

While I find the new "eFX" tools to be occasionally useful, and the
development of vector tools to be worthwhile (for those who use them),
it's puzzling that a program called "Paint Shop Pro" would offer such
limited paint brush options.  Frankly, I would gladly trade the "gee
whiz" effects in 6.0 for customizeable brushes.  When are we going to
be able to SHAPE even the basic brushes, and be able to ROTATE
them, as not only Photoshop, but also LView Pro support?  Why can't we
PAINT with Paint Shop Pro?  Why not develope tools similar to those
found in Painter 6 or  Deep Paint?  Leave the vector stuff for
Trajectory Pro, limit the eFX stuff to the truely useful, and please
give us a Paint Shop Pro program we can actually paint with!

I understand that, depending upon our individual preferences and
artistic passions, we all want JASC to go in different directions with
future Paint Shop Pro development.  But in my view, adding vector
tools and eFX before making Paint Shop a real painting program is
"putting the cart before the horse".

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Nightingai » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I agree with you. Somewhere along the line, PaintShopPro seemed to
become "WebShopPro". It's still my graphics program of choice, but it
sure isn't much of a "PaintShop".

Just my 2 cents,
Nightingail ;-)

--
Nightingail's Gallery
http://glenngail.tripod.com/

Quote:> While I find the new "eFX" tools to be occasionally useful, and the
> development of vector tools to be worthwhile (for those who use them),
> it's puzzling that a program called "Paint Shop Pro" would offer such
> limited paint brush options.  Frankly, I would gladly trade the "gee
> whiz" effects in 6.0 for customizeable brushes.  When are we going to
> be able to SHAPE even the basic brushes, and be able to ROTATE
> them, as not only Photoshop, but also LView Pro support?  Why can't we
> PAINT with Paint Shop Pro?  Why not develope tools similar to those
> found in Painter 6 or  Deep Paint?  Leave the vector stuff for
> Trajectory Pro, limit the eFX stuff to the truely useful, and please
> give us a Paint Shop Pro program we can actually paint with!

> I understand that, depending upon our individual preferences and
> artistic passions, we all want JASC to go in different directions with
> future Paint Shop Pro development.  But in my view, adding vector
> tools and eFX before making Paint Shop a real painting program is
> "putting the cart before the horse".

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Lost Drago » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I agree with you. Somewhere along the line, PaintShopPro seemed to
>become "WebShopPro". It's still my graphics program of choice, but it
>sure isn't much of a "PaintShop".

I tend to agree..

I don't even use PsP for web graphics.  It's not suited for the type
of interfaces I like to do.  I would like to see more emphasis put on
the "paint" side of things as well..

  /| .oo__. .-----.=-           -= Lost Dragon =-          -=.-----. U
 {  \| ,-'' | _O_ |==-  -= Forever Dead Forgotten Lie =-  -==| _O_ | D
 `,_/'(_)\_ |  |  |==- Remembered Souls,  They Cannot Die -==|  |  | I
<...{_)_)_''`-----`===--   http://www.lostdragon.com/   --==='-----' C

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Andrew Ronayn » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

When I first saw an early beta of PSP6, my initial reaction was it's become
"HybridShopPro". Attempting to be many things to many people and leaving
quite a few glaring gaps in basic functionality.

It's not to say that PSP6 is not a great entry-level application, but for it
to qualify as "WebShopPro", I would have expected more Web-specific
features, such as those found in Fireworks et al.

I hope JASC addresses the brush issue (amongst others) in the next version.

Just my (soon to be) GST'ed 2c

Andrew Ronayne
Kitsch design
Australia

<SNIP>

> I agree with you. Somewhere along the line, PaintShopPro seemed to
> become "WebShopPro". It's still my graphics program of choice, but it
> sure isn't much of a "PaintShop".

> Just my 2 cents,
> Nightingail ;-)

</SNIP>

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by LKR » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>It's not to say that PSP6 is not a great entry-level application, but for it
>to qualify as "WebShopPro", I would have expected more Web-specific
>features, such as those found in Fireworks et al.

I generally agree. As I've said before, I'd like to see a basic PSP package
with other things (vectors, web stuff, etc.) available as plug ins for those
who want them. Would keep entry price down yet allow customization to suit the
user.
One thing I'd like to see on the painting side is brushes like the water and
palette knives in Painter Classic.
I've been playing around with these recently to turn photos into paintings and
have to keep jumping back and forth between Painter and PSP.
Would be nice to be able to use the palette knives on a layer using sample
merged, like a clone brush.
I also like the texture in Painter and would like to be able to apply it as a
layer in PSP.

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Peggy Jentof » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

well if they do not do something about improving the brushes I just don't know
that there is anything they could do that would make me want to  buy another new
version
I know that there are probably other things that more proficient folks would
like more but that is how I feel
Peggy j

> When I first saw an early beta of PSP6, my initial reaction was it's become
> "HybridShopPro". Attempting to be many things to many people and leaving
> quite a few glaring gaps in basic functionality.

> I hope JASC addresses the brush issue (amongst others) in the next version.

Mystic Sparrow free art, clipart ,backgrounds & mandalas
http://members.xoom.com/Skygreen/index.html
Spirited emotion: http://members.tripod.com/~sunsparrow/index.html
HereticSongs: http://people.we.mediaone.net/skygreen/index.html
 I teach Reiki and more in La Mirada, Los Angeles County

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Ronald Vic » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:05:38 +1000, "Andrew Ronayne"

Quote:>When I first saw an early beta of PSP6, my initial reaction was it's become
>"HybridShopPro". Attempting to be many things to many people and leaving
>quite a few glaring gaps in basic functionality.

>It's not to say that PSP6 is not a great entry-level application, but for it
>to qualify as "WebShopPro", I would have expected more Web-specific
>features, such as those found in Fireworks et al.

>I hope JASC addresses the brush issue (amongst others) in the next version.

>Just my (soon to be) GST'ed 2c

>Andrew Ronayne
>Kitsch design
>Australia

Last time we went through this, most users didn't want another Web
editor.  We were happy with graphics apps, using web editors for their
functions.

Me, I want more powerful painting tools.

Jaggiemeister Ron- PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter, Executive Officer.
FAQs at http://www.alphageo.com/psp/faq.html
Very FAQ at http://members.aol.com/psptopten/topten.html
My tips at http://hometown.aol.com/ronaldlvick/index.html

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Barbara J. Bradl » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

There are lots of programs for creating graphics on the web - I hope PSP will
go (or stay) in the direction of "paint, draw, and photo enhancement."

                   Barb

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Joe Cilinceo » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm with you Ronald on that one don't need more html writers have enough
already.

--

Joe Cilinceon
http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:05:38 +1000, "Andrew Ronayne"

> >When I first saw an early beta of PSP6, my initial reaction was it's
become
> >"HybridShopPro". Attempting to be many things to many people and leaving
> >quite a few glaring gaps in basic functionality.

> >It's not to say that PSP6 is not a great entry-level application, but for
it
> >to qualify as "WebShopPro", I would have expected more Web-specific
> >features, such as those found in Fireworks et al.

> >I hope JASC addresses the brush issue (amongst others) in the next
version.

> >Just my (soon to be) GST'ed 2c

> >Andrew Ronayne
> >Kitsch design
> >Australia

> Last time we went through this, most users didn't want another Web
> editor.  We were happy with graphics apps, using web editors for their
> functions.

> Me, I want more powerful painting tools.

> Jaggiemeister Ron- PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter, Executive
Officer.
> FAQs at http://www.alphageo.com/psp/faq.html
> Very FAQ at http://members.aol.com/psptopten/topten.html
> My tips at http://hometown.aol.com/ronaldlvick/index.html

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by LABourdillo » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Exactly right!!    I'll cast one vote in that direction...

...larry

Quote:> There are lots of programs for creating graphics on the web - I hope PSP
will
> go (or stay) in the direction of "paint, draw, and photo enhancement."

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Andrew Ronayn » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Um, I think you've misunderstood my point Ronald. I was referring to Gail's
comment where she states that PSP has become "Web Shop Pro". My inference is
PSP doesn't qualify as "Web Shop Pro", as it doesn't include the tools or
functionality to make it a Web-specific application.

I didn't infer including html editing capabilities, rather capabilities like
an image slicer, a decent optimiser and maybe something along the lines of a
simple rollover or image map scripter. I know a lot of folks use the
freeware Shoestring dicer, but it's not a great tool. I'm not a huge fan of
the PSP native image optimiser either - no PNG support.

The market place is becoming more sophisticated. I've spent a lot of time at
the last couple of PC trade shows demonstrating PSP to potential users. Most
are happy with the native tools, but are surprised at what they perceive as
missing basic functionality.  At Comdex 99, I took along a list which
included URLs for freeware, shareware & commercial tools to fill this gap.

As I said, my feeling is that PSP in it's current incarnation is a bit of a
compromise. I'm assuming it's an attempt to appeal to a broad entry-level
market. I got to play with PSP6 in the early stages of its private beta, and
was a little disappointed with what I saw. I should mention that I've come
to like PSP6 a lot more now, but I still feel there's a lot of room for
improvement.

Personally, I would like to see JASC concentrate on improving PSP's
painterly functionality and tools. I guess I'm wishing for something along
the lines of a "poor man's Painter", or functionality that would help fill
the gap in the entry-level area of that specific market. Only time (and a
lot of user feedback) will tell.

Regards

Andrew Ronayne
Kitsch design
Australia

Quote:> Last time we went through this, most users didn't want another Web
> editor.  We were happy with graphics apps, using web editors for their
> functions.

> Me, I want more powerful painting tools.

> Jaggiemeister Ron- PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter, Executive
Officer.
> FAQs at http://www.alphageo.com/psp/faq.html
> Very FAQ at http://members.aol.com/psptopten/topten.html
> My tips at http://hometown.aol.com/ronaldlvick/index.html

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Elizabet » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

D. Lewis wrote

Quote:> Frankly, I would gladly trade the "gee
> whiz" effects in 6.0 for customizeable brushes.

Yes! I would love to see "charcoal," "soft pastel," "marker," "watercolor
round," "conte' crayon," "colored pencil," "filbert," and "flat" in the
paintbrush option.

You can make the paintbrush look like all those things by fiddling around
with the density, shape and opacity of the paintbrush, but it would be great
to have them all preset.

Oh, and to be able to apply a scalable texture to the entire surface...
"portrait weave linen," or "cold-pressed watercolor," and have it stay
there.... too cool! (There might already be a way to do this, and I just
haven't found it, yet.... I wouldn't be surprised.)

--
Elizabeth
Email address is live, but spammers, beware:

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Ronald Vic » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:07:16 +1000, "Andrew Ronayne"

>Um, I think you've misunderstood my point Ronald. I was referring to Gail's
>comment where she states that PSP has become "Web Shop Pro". My inference is
>PSP doesn't qualify as "Web Shop Pro", as it doesn't include the tools or
>functionality to make it a Web-specific application.

>I didn't infer including html editing capabilities, rather capabilities like
>an image slicer, a decent optimiser and maybe something along the lines of a
>simple rollover or image map scripter. I know a lot of folks use the
>freeware Shoestring dicer, but it's not a great tool. I'm not a huge fan of
>the PSP native image optimiser either - no PNG support.

>The market place is becoming more sophisticated. I've spent a lot of time at
>the last couple of PC trade shows demonstrating PSP to potential users. Most
>are happy with the native tools, but are surprised at what they perceive as
>missing basic functionality.  At Comdex 99, I took along a list which
>included URLs for freeware, shareware & commercial tools to fill this gap.

>As I said, my feeling is that PSP in it's current incarnation is a bit of a
>compromise. I'm assuming it's an attempt to appeal to a broad entry-level
>market. I got to play with PSP6 in the early stages of its private beta, and
>was a little disappointed with what I saw. I should mention that I've come
>to like PSP6 a lot more now, but I still feel there's a lot of room for
>improvement.

>Personally, I would like to see JASC concentrate on improving PSP's
>painterly functionality and tools. I guess I'm wishing for something along
>the lines of a "poor man's Painter", or functionality that would help fill
>the gap in the entry-level area of that specific market. Only time (and a
>lot of user feedback) will tell.

>Regards

>Andrew Ronayne
>Kitsch design
>Australia

Eh? I thought I was agreeing with you in the first place.   Oh well,
perhaps it was my windy way of answering.   I totally agree with your
statement, and would also like to see more arty type tools.

Jaggiemeister Ron- PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter, Executive Officer.
FAQs at http://www.alphageo.com/psp/faq.html
Very FAQ at http://members.aol.com/psptopten/topten.html
My tips at http://hometown.aol.com/ronaldlvick/index.html

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Joe Cilinceo » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Actually I would love to see them purchase Painter 6 then add the engine it
uses to PSP 2000. I have even suggested it to them since Metacreations is
dumping all there older stuff.

--

Joe Cilinceon
http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

Quote:

> D. Lewis wrote
> > Frankly, I would gladly trade the "gee
> > whiz" effects in 6.0 for customizeable brushes.

> Yes! I would love to see "charcoal," "soft pastel," "marker," "watercolor
> round," "conte' crayon," "colored pencil," "filbert," and "flat" in the
> paintbrush option.

> You can make the paintbrush look like all those things by fiddling around
> with the density, shape and opacity of the paintbrush, but it would be
great
> to have them all preset.

> Oh, and to be able to apply a scalable texture to the entire surface...
> "portrait weave linen," or "cold-pressed watercolor," and have it stay
> there.... too cool! (There might already be a way to do this, and I just
> haven't found it, yet.... I wouldn't be surprised.)

> --
> Elizabeth
> Email address is live, but spammers, beware:
> I'm one of those reactionary-extremist-anti-spam-radicals. ;-)

Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

Post by Matt Hartma » Thu, 13 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I appreciate what JASC has done in way of making their program more Web
friendly.  Being and engineer playing the role of an artist, I find the
vector tools a little more intuitive to use than some features in other
programs (namely Image Composer).   Frankly I like the ease of being able to
create or import vector graphics, then being able to use the other powerful
effects PSP has.

Don't get me wrong.  I come from using the old Fauve Matisse software of Win
3.1 fame (software that was so good it was bought up before a second edition
could be released).  That software had wonderful brush effects and features
that I haven't found in another economical program to date.  I do long for
the simplicity of being able to use an oil or water color brush to create
certain effects rather than having to manipulate a tube or a filter to
create it.

But overall PSP has the best mix of Painter friendly and Web friendly tools
I have seen in a low cost program.  JASC has made a good overall business
decision in incorporating both.  I'm sure their research has shown that the
majority of new graphic software buys are made for the internet related
fields.  And I'm also sure that down the line, they will have the best of
all worlds built in.  They seem pretty good that way.

I guess we all just have to be patient, make our suggestions, and let the
programmers do their thing.

Matt Hartman

--If others out there are the PSP Terrorists, I must be the PSP Victim :-)

Quote:> While I find the new "eFX" tools to be occasionally useful, and the
> development of vector tools to be worthwhile (for those who use them),
> it's puzzling that a program called "Paint Shop Pro" would offer such
> limited paint brush options.  Frankly, I would gladly trade the "gee
> whiz" effects in 6.0 for customizeable brushes.  When are we going to
> be able to SHAPE even the basic brushes, and be able to ROTATE
> them, as not only Photoshop, but also LView Pro support?  Why can't we
> PAINT with Paint Shop Pro?  Why not develope tools similar to those
> found in Painter 6 or  Deep Paint?  Leave the vector stuff for
> Trajectory Pro, limit the eFX stuff to the truely useful, and please
> give us a Paint Shop Pro program we can actually paint with!

> I understand that, depending upon our individual preferences and
> artistic passions, we all want JASC to go in different directions with
> future Paint Shop Pro development.  But in my view, adding vector
> tools and eFX before making Paint Shop a real painting program is
> "putting the cart before the horse".

1. Paint Shop Pro Paint Brush Strength

I have recently come across a tutorial page on the web that gave
examples of doing digital landscape paintings using Paint Shop Pro 3.X.
In the tutorial, the author refers to pushing color with the paint brush
strength set to a specific number.  All my attempts in Paint Shop Pro
4.X to find any reference to Paint Brush Strength have failed.  Can some
one explain it to me and explain how to get the same affect with 4.X.

Tnank in advance.

Rick Borton

2. Graphics acceleration

3. Front Page 2000 and Paint Shop Pro 6.0 problem

4. hardware vertex processing

5. Paint Shop Pro Brushes "bones"

6. WANTED: used/broken/new graphic cards

7. PS Brushes from Paint Shop Pro problem

8. Lw and Win XP

9. Paint Shop Pro & Transparent Bkgrnd

10. Paint Shop Pro & TWAIN

11. Mustek 600CP/Paint Shop Pro 5 & 6

12. Paint Shop Pro 5 with Animation Shop Beta 2.1 Now Available

13. PROPOSAL: comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro.moderated & comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro.loser