slightly OT: terragen

Post by ]HardWired » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

terragen 0.7.28!
i haven't used a wide variety of terrain generators (or a wide variety of _any_ kind
of ray-tracers for that matter), but what do you guys think? this one any good? i was
really impressed by the screenshots, but is it very far above it's peers?

( http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/release07.html )
GCS/MU/P d-- s+:+ a? C+++>$(++++) UL++>$ P+ L++
E+ W+ N++ w++ O- M-- V- PS(+++) Y PE PGP t 5- X
R(++) tv-(+) b++ DI++ D+++ G e(++) h r(++) y+>$

slightly OT: terragen

Post by Ken » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> terragen 0.7.28!
> i haven't used a wide variety of terrain generators (or a wide variety of _any_ kind
> of ray-tracers for that matter), but what do you guys think? this one any good? i was
> really impressed by the screenshots, but is it very far above it's peers?

For what it does it is excellent. For what it cannot do it has it's
limitations. The primary limitation as I understand it is that it
creates great terrains but if you need to do other types of modelling
operations you would normaly expect to find in full featured modelling
and rendering environments it is very limited. For example there is
no facility to add an airplane modelled in another program into the
scene you are creating. What does this leave you ? A scene of terrain
only. All that aside though it does make some very awesome terrains
and can be very satisfying in and of itself.

--
Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

1. OT: Terragen 0.7 released

The new version of Terragen was released today with some awesome new features
like reflective water and display of the water areas in the preview area, new
surface map system with bump maps and  the ability to save them, full world
saving, etc.  Take it for a spin at
http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/tginstall_0_7.html
Its currently free for non commercial use.  Don't forget to D/L the updated
tutorial also.  Happy Terregeneering!

Char
(Please remove NoSpam to reply)
"It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really
quite busy."

2. Problem printing PS from Quark 3.32 PC

3. OT:Carol B...New Terragen 8 tutorial?

4. Exporting to HTML

5. Slightly OT: Which office chair?

6. Memory requierments for 3D Studio MAX

7. slightly OT: Linux X problem

8. Christmas Bitmaps

9. Slightly OT - Media Centre

10. re. Slightly OT file association question

11. Any ideas? (slightly OT)

12. slightly OT - image viewer.

13. Slightly OT need a 3D