Unix movie maker?

Post by Mauricio Tavar » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

        A code I wrote shows as an image the result of each iteration step.
This way, I can see the trend my code is having.  Now, I would like to
have these images put together as a movie file so I can put in my webpage
and show people what I am talking about.

Is there any unix/X program that allows me to convert a sequence of still
images into a movie?

--
 ===========================+==========================================
| Mauricio Tavares          | "We will attack...                       |

 ===========================+==========================================

Unix movie maker?

Post by Brent Bo » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>    A code I wrote shows as an image the result of each iteration step.
>This way, I can see the trend my code is having.  Now, I would like to
>have these images put together as a movie file so I can put in my webpage
>and show people what I am talking about.
>Is there any unix/X program that allows me to convert a sequence of still
>images into a movie?

You might want to look at xanim
<SIG DELETED>

=END=

copyright  Brent Borg 1996.  Microsoft Network is prohibited from
redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part, without
license. License to distribute this work is available to Microsoft
at $500. Transmission without permission constitutes an  agreement
to these terms.

Unix movie maker?

Post by Joerg Reiber » Fri, 20 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> >Is there any unix/X program that allows me to convert
> >a sequence of still images into a movie?

> You might want to look at xanim

I think you can't encode animations from a set of still images
with xanim. xanim is used to play-back alreay encoded animations
such as .fli or .avi.

To encode animations from still images there are two programs I use:

1. mpeg2encode
   which is part od the mpeg2 package from the
   MPEG Software Simulation Group

        ftp.netcom.com/pub/cf/cfogg/mpeg2

   You can encode an .mpg video from a set of still images.
   When you put it on the WEB, almost all browser will start
   an external viewer at the client to show the video.

2. gifmerge-1.3
   from Mark Podlipec and additions by Rene Mueller

   I didn't remember where I downloaded it, but I make it public
   for some days at

        www.uni-muenster.de/informatik/u/reiberg/public

   You can encode so called animated-gifs from a set of still
   images in gif format. The result is again a .gif which stores
   all images and information on playback speed and loops.
   Some WEB browsers support animated gifs and do the animation
   where you place the gif on your WEB page.

Of course, MPEG allows you to compress animations and use 24bit
color images, while animated gifs use 8bit colors with a slightly
compression (depends on the images).

Ciao,
  Joerg

--

http://www.uni-muenster.de/informatik/u/reiberg

Unix movie maker?

Post by Joerg Reiber » Fri, 20 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I prefer to use

1. mpeg2encode - ftp.netcom.com/pub/cf/cfogg
2. gifmerge    - www.uni-muenster.de/informatik/u/reiberg/public

Well, gifmerge is not my program, but I cannot remember where
I downloaded it. So I placed it on my public page.

Ciao,
  Joerg

--

http://www.uni-muenster.de/informatik/u/reiberg

1. Slide Maker for UNIX system

Probably a FAQ, but ...

  Does anyone know of a (35mm) slide maker that can be connected to a
  Sun workstation? Actually I'm probably just looking for UNIX drivers for
  such slide makers as lasergraphics, etc.
  So far I have found a bunch that can be connected to Macs
  and the like but not to <real> computers. Ideally I'd like it to have a lpr
  style interface or newsprint driver so people can just queue images to it.
  I'm looking at the 10 - 15 k$ range.

  dsc

2. Performer

3. fli maker under unix (or C source for one)

4. POV animation posted to a.b.p.m

5. Unix FLI maker wanted

6. POV I_Glass problem

7. new FBM2FLI (unix FLI maker) uploaded

8. Portal Engines?(Again)

9. FLI/FLC maker (like DTA) for UNIX?

10. MPEG-Maker for UNIX

11. fli maker for unix