graphic book

Post by kaba » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Can anyone recommend a graphic dummy-type book?  I just started fiddling
with graphics and want to learn more, but not knowing the capabilities
of graphics, and certain words aimed just toward graphic finishing, I'm
a little lost.

Any suggestion would be welcome.  Thank you.

graphic book

Post by Gre » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

[This followup was posted to comp.graphics.misc and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

Quote:> Can anyone recommend a graphic dummy-type book?  I just started fiddling
> with graphics and want to learn more, but not knowing the capabilities
> of graphics, and certain words aimed just toward graphic finishing, I'm
> a little lost.

> Any suggestion would be welcome.  Thank you.

I doubt you're going to find out much...

But I'm cross posting your question to several news groups in the hopes
that someone proves me a liar...

Most of us who play with Draw and Paint Programs are self taught... I
don't think I've yet run into someone who has graduated from college with
a degree in Computer Graphics... if there is even such a thing... we'll
see... like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
--
Grey
XARA Fan

graphic book

Post by tmc » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> [This followup was posted to comp.graphics.misc and a copy was sent to
> the cited author.]

> > Can anyone recommend a graphic dummy-type book?  I just started fiddling
> > with graphics and want to learn more, but not knowing the capabilities
> > of graphics, and certain words aimed just toward graphic finishing, I'm
> > a little lost.

> > Any suggestion would be welcome.  Thank you.

> I doubt you're going to find out much...

> But I'm cross posting your question to several news groups in the hopes
> that someone proves me a liar...

> Most of us who play with Draw and Paint Programs are self taught... I
> don't think I've yet run into someone who has graduated from college with
> a degree in Computer Graphics... if there is even such a thing... we'll
> see... like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
> --
> Grey
> XARA Fan
> But not an employee ;-)
> (XARA is at http://www.xara.com )

Actually, I have a book that's due to be released in May by New Riders
Publishing called "Paint Shop Pro Web Techniques". It covers a wide
range of techniques and can be used by beginner to intermediate users.

--

Author of "Paint Shop Pro Web Techniques" copyright (c) 1997
Published by New Riders Publishing

Free Web Graphic Tutorials--Learn to make your own professional-quality
Web Graphics with Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop.
Go to the URL below and select the TUTORIAL button.

Graphics Tutorials:  http://www.grafx-design.com

graphic book

Post by brent horto » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Most of us who play with Draw and Paint Programs are self taught... I
> don't think I've yet run into someone who has graduated from college with
> a degree in Computer Graphics... if there is even such a thing... we'll
> see... like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Actually there is such a degree. The School of Design here at NC State
offers a major in Graphic Design. Students work extensively with
computer graphics. Of course, the main focus is on designing pages for
adverti*ts and brochures of the such. Work is done on Macs <gulp>
using mostly Photoshop, Premier, Illustrator, Cork Express, and Macrome
Director. Yep - no Corel Draw. Maybe when they begin to realize that
with Pentium Pro's and MMX's coming out - and soon PPros with MMX,
they'll switch over to PC's instead of Macs. I hope when I transfer over
to that School in a couple of years, they'll decide by then, cause Lord
have mercy on my soul if I have to sell my PC and buy a Mac. AARRRGGH!!!

bah

graphic book

Post by Lon Stowe » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Most of us who play with Draw and Paint Programs are self taught... I
>don't think I've yet run into someone who has graduated from college with
>a degree in Computer Graphics... if there is even such a thing... we'll
>see... like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

   Good question.  I have seen "official" training centers for some
   of the graphics suites, but never met anyone who attended one.
   Some private "business colleges" also offer graphics classes
   with adobe, corel, etc.   Again never met anyone who attended
   these.

   Has anyone ever attended or hired someone or worked with someone
   who got trained by one of those and would care to comment on
   their relative value?

   This is not the same as regular arts programs and classes at
   city or state public institutions where the computer graphics
   programs are taught as just another artistic tool....or the
   non-credit courses offered in these by those same institutions
   for very low fees.

graphic book

Post by Mikhail Sbokaji » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I worked in the University of Utah computer graphics lab in their Art
College building for a year.  It is becoming very common for
Universities that offer Graphic Deisgn, illustration, photography  and
art to offer classes in the common graphics software.

As to their usefulness (the classes) they really teach a lot of
subtleties as well as basic concepts.  As for the usefulness (the
students), software mastery doesn't make up for talent or skill.

MS

graphic book

Post by Gre » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Actually there is such a degree. The School of Design here at NC State
> offers a major in Graphic Design. Students work extensively with
> computer graphics. Of course, the main focus is on designing pages for
> adverti*ts and brochures of the such. Work is done on Macs <gulp>
> using mostly Photoshop, Premier, Illustrator, Cork Express, and Macrome
> Director. Yep - no Corel Draw. Maybe when they begin to realize that
> with Pentium Pro's and MMX's coming out - and soon PPros with MMX,
> they'll switch over to PC's instead of Macs. I hope when I transfer over
> to that School in a couple of years, they'll decide by then, cause Lord
> have mercy on my soul if I have to sell my PC and buy a Mac. AARRRGGH!!!

> bah

IF IF IF there is an Apple left... LOL

I find your post interesting, I've never used Photoshop, but I'd like to
try it because of the Layering ability... Someday, maybe, when a computer
exists that can handle Bitmaps that have some degree of resolution...

For now I'll stick to XARA and Draw and vector files...

BTW... MMX is probably going to take a while to become a viable option
for most people... the Chip, the Motherboard and the software all have to
be speciallized to take advantage of it.
--
Grey
XARA Fan

graphic book

Post by Gre » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Some idiot or other was out trying to promote his website and start a
"Graphic Artists Guild"...

I'm wondering if a few of the people here couldn't get together and start
one off... I'll bet it would go a long way toward getting the type of
liturature out there for the Graphical Novice...

In Brent Horton's post he spoke of such a Degree where they work with
Macs as a certain University...

But I'd like to see a book or something similar that teaches the basics
and is applicable to all Draw Programs, and a similar one that is
applicable to all paint programs.

Advanced features native to such things as Photoshop could be touched
upon, but I've seen some of the shareware out there like Paint Shop Pro
which costs 1/5th what Photoshop does and is pretty impressive.

For those of us with nothing better to do... maybe we should form our own
little "Guild" as it were, and start writing such a book...

Just a suggestion.
--
Grey
XARA Fan

graphic book

Post by Ray » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > Most of us who play with Draw and Paint Programs are self taught... I
> > don't think I've yet run into someone who has graduated from college with
> > a degree in Computer Graphics... if there is even such a thing... we'll
> > see... like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

> Actually there is such a degree. The School of Design here at NC State
> offers a major in Graphic Design. Students work extensively with
> computer graphics. Of course, the main focus is on designing pages for
> adverti*ts and brochures of the such. Work is done on Macs <gulp>
> using mostly Photoshop, Premier, Illustrator, Cork Express, and Macrome
> Director. Yep - no Corel Draw. Maybe when they begin to realize that
> with Pentium Pro's and MMX's coming out - and soon PPros with MMX,
> they'll switch over to PC's instead of Macs. I hope when I transfer over
> to that School in a couple of years, they'll decide by then, cause Lord
> have mercy on my soul if I have to sell my PC and buy a Mac. AARRRGGH!!!

> bah

You might want to check out Cogswell Polytech (Sunnyvale, CA) (408)
541-0100, or School of Communicatins Arts (Minneapolis, MN)

others.  Personally I am self taught (hell, it costs less to buy the
softs and teach yourself), although some courses in drawing, painting
(yup, not on a computer)and video could do wonders for your content.

graphic book

Post by Ray » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Some idiot or other was out trying to promote his website and start a
> "Graphic Artists Guild"...

> I'm wondering if a few of the people here couldn't get together and start
> one off... I'll bet it would go a long way toward getting the type of
> liturature out there for the Graphical Novice...

> In Brent Horton's post he spoke of such a Degree where they work with
> Macs as a certain University...

> But I'd like to see a book or something similar that teaches the basics
> and is applicable to all Draw Programs, and a similar one that is
> applicable to all paint programs.

> Advanced features native to such things as Photoshop could be touched
> upon, but I've seen some of the shareware out there like Paint Shop Pro
> which costs 1/5th what Photoshop does and is pretty impressive.

> For those of us with nothing better to do... maybe we should form our own
> little "Guild" as it were, and start writing such a book...

> Just a suggestion.
> --
> Grey
> XARA Fan
> But not an employee ;-)
> (XARA is at http://www.xara.com )

Go for it, I am just a hobbiest who does some occasional web and video
work, but I am always willing to learn more.  Actually, I'll prove that
I need to learn more, check out my site
http://www.viser.net/~ray

-)

graphic book

Post by Karl Poll » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Author of "Paint Shop Pro Web Techniques" copyright (c) 1997
>Published by New Riders Publishing

If your book is half as good as your online tutorials[ :-)) ], I would
be inclined to take a closer look at it.

Quote:>Free Web Graphic Tutorials--Learn to make your own professional-quality
>Web Graphics with Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop.
>Go to the URL below and select the TUTORIAL button.
>Graphics Tutorials:  http://www.grafx-design.com

Don't mind giving you a plug.  I have learned a couple of tricks from
your pages.  But I have a queation about palettes.  I am trying to get
hold of the 216(or whatever the number is) colour Netscape palette of
PSP 3.  I tried jasco but could not find it there.

Any ideas?

---

Bottomline Productions, Richmond BC

graphic book

Post by Mc Gover » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Work is done on Macs <gulp>
> using mostly Photoshop, Premier, Illustrator, Cork Express, and Macrome
> Director. Yep - no Corel Draw. Maybe when they begin to realize that
> with Pentium Pro's and MMX's coming out - and soon PPros with MMX,
> they'll switch over to PC's instead of Macs. I hope when I transfer over
> to that School in a couple of years, they'll decide by then, cause Lord
> have mercy on my soul if I have to sell my PC and buy a Mac. AARRRGGH!!!

> bah

Tisk, Tisk, ripping on macs when you are such a "Cork Express" (sic)
fan.

Mike McGovern
Beer Philadelphia
http://www.phillynews.com/packages/beer/calendar.html

graphic book

Post by Walter Danie » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>[This followup was posted to comp.graphics.misc and a copy was sent to
>the cited author.]

>> Can anyone recommend a graphic dummy-type book?  I just started fiddling
>> with graphics and want to learn more, but not knowing the capabilities
>> of graphics, and certain words aimed just toward graphic finishing, I'm
>> a little lost.
>> Any suggestion would be welcome.  Thank you.
>I doubt you're going to find out much...
>But I'm cross posting your question to several news groups in the hopes
>that someone proves me a liar...

  I found a quite good book about Corel 4(the version I have). I still had to
explore (ie.*up a lot) but I learned a lot from it. As far as doing
"computer Graphics" there are programmer oriented books on the subject. I
haven't needed them since I was forced to get out of the programming field, so
not handy.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 Walter Daniels  FBN Graphics - The place where your mug says what YOU want!
 Custom orders cheerfully done on quality coffee mugs, with no minimum order.
 You can order quantites of 1 to 100 for use by individuals, club, etc.
 Win a free B&W design mug, in the bi-monthly design survey.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

graphic book

Post by Mc Gover » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

ditto here
mike

1. 3D Programming books (formerly Cameras in 3D, also Good 3D Graphics books)

I too have heard that 3D Computer Graphics by Alan Watt is a good book,
and I will probably purchase it.

The Problem I have with Computer Graphics Principles and Practicies is
that I just do not have the mathematical skills behind me to understand a

lot of the notation used and a lot of things.  I have purchased book on
Linear Algebra, and several on geometry, but they do not help me with
understanding the notation that is used.  I am in Grade 12 of High
School, and an excellent math student, maybe you could recomend a book
that might help me learn some of the notation used in books like this?
This fact has kept me from purchasing 3D Computer Graphics early, but I
guess i'll bite the bullet and get it.

Can anyone else out there recomend good books on either 3D Graphics, or
Mathematics that might help me, and other people out?

See ya later!

-----------------
End Communication

2. bleeding out of a selection