Print option problem Freehand?

Post by Anton Futsela » Sun, 19 Feb 1995 22:02:41

Hi,

I think I have a problem with a print-option in Freehand 5.0.

In Freehand a use a page format A4 (tall);
I expose it on a Varityper 4990 max. paperwide 33.7 cm;
To save film usage I will expose my file with the wide option on;
When I look at the output the only thing that has turned is the imageable
area.

Is this a bug of Freehand, or is the Varityper ppd wrong.

Has anybody the same problems with another Image setter?

anton

:
: In Freehand a use a page format A4 (tall);
: I expose it on a Varityper 4990 max. paperwide 33.7 cm;
: To save film usage I will expose my file with the wide option on;
: When I look at the output the only thing that has turned is the imageable
: area.
:
: Is this a bug of Freehand, or is the Varityper ppd wrong.
:
: Has anybody the same problems with another Image setter?

Yup, I am having problems also. We use a Purup PS-Link rip. I talked to
Purup's tech support several times last week, but they don't have fh5
yet... they didn't get their ppd updated for fh4 until December. :-(

Here's the problem as I have experienced it (let me preface this by saying
that Altsys *must* have changed the prnting code some, because ps files
from fh5 didn't error out on my rip the way ps files from fh4 did):

1. I have a page that is 12" wide by 8" tall (12x8). I make a ps file
using custom paper size 12x8, wide, and end up with a ps file that is 8x8
instead.

2. I try using the tall option, and end up with the same thing.

3. I try using a standard paper size, 14x8.5 (wide), and end up with a
12x8 ps file! But when I expose the film, I find that the image has
rotated 90 degrees, so all I can see of it is an 8x8 area.

4. I try custom paper size, 12x12 (orientation makes no difference), and I
end up with a 12x8 ps file! And the image is *not* rotated! :-)

All of these are generated using LW 8.1.1, with the *generic* ppd. Picking
some other ppd in the Chooser makes no difference.

So, Anton, I end up with what I need by using a square custom paper size.
Purup provides a program that I use for ganging and rotating the ps files
as necessary; I don't know if you have such a program available for your
rip. If you are interested I what I learn from the Purup techs, email me a
reminder at work and I will keep you posted. (my work address is

within a week.

--
Mark

1. Printing Problem in FreeHand 5

I'm trying to track down a problem I've run into when trying to print a
document from FreeHand 5.0 to a LaserWriter IINT. I've narrowed it down to
something in a text block that was "Placed" into the document in RTF.
Basically it's a bunch of text created in WordPerfect 3.1 and Saved As RTF
in order to keep the formatting. Everything appears to work until it's
time to print at which time the printer chugs away for a minute or so and
then restarts. Shortly after this the Print Monitor reports a printing
problem and the system usually hangs. When the text block mentioned above
is removed everything works fine.

Here's the system info

Macintosh Quadra 800 w/24megs of ram and a 1 gig HD
System Software 7.5.1
LaserWriter Software 8.2.2
LaserWriter IINT

Because the major portion of the document is text prepared in WordPerfect
I'd prefer to solve the problem rather than work around it so if anyone
can shed some light on things I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance...

                           ...Glenn

--
*=====================================================================*
=  Glenn G. Samson   = When I think of something witty and insightful =

=   --)---------     =           (Don't hold your breath;-)           =
*====================*================================================*

2. Alternative viewer for QuickTime .mov files on WinNT?

3. FreeHand 8.01 Problem printing Symbol Font HELP

4. New device

5. FreeHand - Printing Problem

6. device restoration

7. FreeHand - PRINT Crash problem

8. Zoom/Pan/scroll features

9. Freehand 4.0b Printing Problem -- Yes, FH4.0 *sigh*

10. Freehand 4.0 printing problem

11. Quickcam-Quickpict with printing option?

12. AW6 Drawing graphics grid print option

13. Tiled print option