Wacom Artz II, a Mac and a Keyspan Adapter

Wacom Artz II, a Mac and a Keyspan Adapter

Post by Richard Wilso » Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:45:26

Forgive the intrusion from a dyed-in-the-wool PC guy, but I need some
Mac info, and these groups looked like a good place to start.

We have(had) a Wacom Artz II graphic tablet hooked up to our Win98SE PC
for some time now. My daughter is going of to University for a graphics
program, which uses Macs(not too sure which model just yet), which will
presumably use Mac OS X.

It appears that newer Macs do not have a serial port(which is what the
Artz II has), but Keyspan have a product that hooks into the USB of a
Mac and spits out a 9 pin serial port connector.

Will this combination work. The Wacom site says that no serial tablets
are supported by Mac OS X, but the Keyspan says it will work.

Has anyone done this?

Will it work, and what drivers/programs would be required?

thanks in advance
Richard

Wacom Artz II, a Mac and a Keyspan Adapter

Post by Mike » Sat, 16 Aug 2003 01:00:59

In article

> Forgive the intrusion from a dyed-in-the-wool PC guy, but I need some
> Mac info, and these groups looked like a good place to start.

> We have(had) a Wacom Artz II graphic tablet hooked up to our Win98SE PC
> for some time now. My daughter is going of to University for a graphics
> program, which uses Macs(not too sure which model just yet), which will
> presumably use Mac OS X.

> It appears that newer Macs do not have a serial port(which is what the
> Artz II has), but Keyspan have a product that hooks into the USB of a
> Mac and spits out a 9 pin serial port connector.

> Will this combination work. The Wacom site says that no serial tablets
> are supported by Mac OS X, but the Keyspan says it will work.

I recently sold an ArtZ II with a Griffin iMate USB-Serial adapter. The
combination will work fine with OS 9, but not with OS X. The problem
isn't the adapter, it's that Wacom has no recent-OS X drivers. You can
probably use it as a kind of super-mouse, but not as a true graphics
tablet.

In general, you're better off going "organic" with your peripherals.
Vendors of this kind of stuff put as little time and $$ into the
drivers as they can get away with, so K-I-S-S. Wacom makes some cheaper
(and not as nice) USB tablets tham might be okay. In the future she'll
want a tablet that's the equivalent ($$!) of the ArtZ.

Wacom Artz II, a Mac and a Keyspan Adapter

Post by Richard Wilso » Sat, 16 Aug 2003 03:57:55

Thanks for the info.

Good thing it's only the 6x8 size, not the 12x12

>In article

>>Forgive the intrusion from a dyed-in-the-wool PC guy, but I need some
>>Mac info, and these groups looked like a good place to start.

>>We have(had) a Wacom Artz II graphic tablet hooked up to our Win98SE PC
>>for some time now. My daughter is going of to University for a graphics
>>program, which uses Macs(not too sure which model just yet), which will
>>presumably use Mac OS X.

>>It appears that newer Macs do not have a serial port(which is what the
>>Artz II has), but Keyspan have a product that hooks into the USB of a
>>Mac and spits out a 9 pin serial port connector.

>>Will this combination work. The Wacom site says that no serial tablets
>>are supported by Mac OS X, but the Keyspan says it will work.

>I recently sold an ArtZ II with a Griffin iMate USB-Serial adapter. The
>combination will work fine with OS 9, but not with OS X. The problem
>isn't the adapter, it's that Wacom has no recent-OS X drivers. You can
>probably use it as a kind of super-mouse, but not as a true graphics
>tablet.

>In general, you're better off going "organic" with your peripherals.
>Vendors of this kind of stuff put as little time and $$ into the
>drivers as they can get away with, so K-I-S-S. Wacom makes some cheaper
>(and not as nice) USB tablets tham might be okay. In the future she'll
>want a tablet that's the equivalent ($$!) of the ArtZ.

1. WACOM DIGITIZER II / ARTZ II interface cable for PC

That depends -- is it an ADB tablet, or a serial tablet?
If it's an ADB tablet, forget it - can't be done.
If it's a serial tablet, then it probably already has a PC->Mac serial
adapter on the end of the cable.

Chris

2. Saving Printer.canvas to disk ?

3. Wacom Tablets - ArtPad II or ArtZ II 6x8

4. Graphic Design Resources site

5. Wacom Art II or ArtZ II

6. GDI32.DLL Access violation

7. FS: Wacom ArtZ II 6x8 tablet

8. Check out my 3dsmax site!!! NEWLY RE-DESIGNED!

9. Wacom ArtZ II and OS/2

10. Wacom ArtZ II question

11. Request:Info on Dabbler 2.0 and Wacom Artz II