POVRAY for WindowsNT?

Post by --'--,-- » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi folx.
        I'm about to set up a rather exciting povray page on the WWW but I
need to know how NT reacts to povray first. Can I safely use the Dos
version? How about multi-tasking it? Will it make NT grind to a halt
while it renders? How can I set it up to be lowish priority for NT
(I'm a POV type, not an NT expert, but that's what my server is
running on..)

Any help greatly appreciated!

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------
|STEERPIKE                         | The amazing POV-Ray tutorial now    |
|                                  | available from ftp.povray.org pub/  |
|                                  | povray/incoming/utlities/pvt100.zip |
|____________________________________________________________________________

POVRAY for WindowsNT?

Post by Dean C Sulling » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Hi folx.
:       I'm about to set up a rather exciting povray page on the WWW but I
: need to know how NT reacts to povray first. Can I safely use the Dos
: version? How about multi-tasking it? Will it make NT grind to a halt
: while it renders? How can I set it up to be lowish priority for NT
: (I'm a POV type, not an NT expert, but that's what my server is
: running on..)

Get the unofficial port of POV 2.0 for Windows NT.  You can get it at
ftp.povray.org.

ALWAYS use "start /LOW povray ..." to start your images in NT.  I'm
not sure what type of processor your using, but with my Pentium/60
I can get 4 images running at one time without feeling it in my
work.

Good luck:-)

--
Dean C. Sullinger

http://www.crl.com/www/users/de/deans

POVRAY for WindowsNT?

Post by Dean C Sulling » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: >   I'm about to set up a rather exciting povray page on the WWW but I
: >    need to know how NT reacts to povray first. Can I safely use the Dos

: However, the NT MSVC Pentium compile available on ftp.povray.org runs
: like nobody's business... on a friend's machine (P60 16 MB RAM, later
: with 40 MB RAM), we could have *many* sessions of POV rendering
: simultaneously (say, 6 huge scenes all at the same time) with

: I would not recommend setting POV to the lowest priority; it really
: crawls that way.  The middle priority is about OK... the highest one
: will slow the rest of the machine to a halt.

I agree.  I've been using the Unofficial NT port from ftp.povray.org
for the last couple years (or around that) and I love how smooth it
runs.

If you don't know about priorities in NT, when you execute povray for
NT from the command prompt, type "start /LOW povray ..." to start it.
You can keyin whatever priority you want to use.  I happen to use /LOW
because I have other work that is more important and on my Pentium it's
not to bad to run 4 or 5 back there and not feel any loss of CPU on
what I'm working on and I can wait for them to complete because I'm
usally busy with something else and then "POOF" there done.

Good luck:-)

--
Dean C. Sullinger

The one book the continues to place more copies into peoples
hands than any other book can be found at:
                   http://www.crl.com/~deans

1. VolPack On WindowsNT 4.0?

Hello
I'm a graduate student in Korea.
I'm majoring in Biomedical engineering,
especially in medical image proscessing.
I'm very interested in 3D volume rendering.
I just did ray casting on NT, and I would like to do
shear-warp factorization algorithm.
So i downloaded VolPack libray at graphics.stanford.edu
a few days ago. but I don't understand that library.
Can I use VolPack library on Windows-NT 4.0? If so, tell me how I use
VolPack?
I'm using MS Visual C++ 6.0.
and I am also reading paper "Fast Volume Rendering Using a Shear-Warp
Factorization
of the Viewing Transformation"-Philippe's dissertation.(1995)
If VolPack library couldn't be used on NT, maybe Unix is ok?
We(lab) have Solaris system.  so. Tell me Unix case ...

When someone download VolPack library, what he has to do at first?

Please..Give me information..

bye.

soonman

2. LW 6 Layers!

3. free medical image 3D visualization software for WindowsNT/95

4. Best Ray Tracer?

5. Looking for GUI builder/4GLs to build real-time data display app (WindowsNT)

6. WindowsNT and PS4 BUG??????

7. WindowsNT and 3dstudio R2.5

8. WindowsNT lightwave and REXX scripts