anti-aliasing of straight line elements

Post by David Keeb » Sat, 15 Sep 1990 23:20:04

Hello there,

I wonder if anyone could point me to some good references concerning
anti-aliasing of short line elements. The basic concept I am familiar
with; it is the details of the implementation that seem to be
time-consuming: I don't wish to re-invent the wheel. Essentially, all
I want to know is how to place an "ideal" line element of given
length, thickness and angle onto a 256 grey-level screen (actually a
13" Apple colour monitor). The principle of setting the grey-level of
each pixel in proportion to the area of the pixel covered by the ideal
line is clear to me, but devising an algorithm to perform this doesn't
appear straight-forward.

The two references from the "Most Frequently Asked Questions" posting
that I have managed to find in the nearest library (Foley & Van Dam
(1982) and Rogers(1985)) were fine on the generalities but short on
details for *lines*.

Of course, the ideal solution would be some nice, simple, software,
ideally in "C"---or even a pointer to where I might find same.

This seems like a kind of simple question, though I've never seen it on

there is enough interest I'll summarize for the net.

Thanks in advance.

David Keeble

        "There is death in the hane." "Never break symmetry."

1. Q: Anti-aliasing lines (many short lines)

I'm looking for some help drawing antialiased lines. The challenge is
the type of lines I'm trying to draw. The image I'm trying to display
is a compressed oscilloscope trace of up to a million points. I can't
just throw out some points and draw what's left because that may miss
narrow spikes. Drawing the lines "regularly" gives an overly-chunky
looking trace because the little bits of noise get emphasized as much
as the bulk of the points that fall near the center of the trace.

Any suggestions?

David Max

2. Looking for Phong / Gouraud / Blinn original publications

3. straight line antialiasing using unweigthed regular sampling

4. Filters and Plug-ins list

5. anti-aliasing diagonal lines

6. Thundering effect

7. anti-aliasing imported line art

8. anti-aliasing diagonal lines

9. Bresenham Line + Anti-aliasing

10. Anti-aliasing lines Drawing

11. Anti-Aliasing Lines

12. anti-aliasing data for line mid point algorithm