FTP sites for 3D objects

Post by Guy A. Hunde » Thu, 01 Apr 1993 05:50:51

I'm trying to find some 3-D objects, subject not important, to use while
learning about 3-D animation. If anyone might know an FTP site that has some
please let me know. Thanks for your consideration- Guy

FTP sites for 3D objects

Post by Gavin Be » Thu, 01 Apr 1993 10:22:00

Quote:>I'm trying to find some 3-D objects, subject not important, to use while
>learning about 3-D animation. If anyone might know an FTP site that has some
>please let me know. Thanks for your consideration- Guy

Here's the latest and greatest:

Subject: FTP Site for 3D objects now OPEN!
Date: 29 Oct 92 23:21:15 GMT

Ok... it's set up and ready to go! The address to go to is:

avalon.chinalake.navy.mil       (129.131.31.11)

There won't be much on it to start with (we've put all our local stuff
plus what I was able to find thru the usual ftp/archie searches). Anything
you have to offer, please upload. I'm sure everyone will appreciate it!

Below is the README file from the archive:
This is the README file for the anonymous ftp server avalon.chinalake.navy.mil
We are running the experimental ftp server software developed by Chris Myers.

This ftp site was created to be a 3D object "repository" for the net. We
archive 3D object files in various formats, utilities to convert between
the different formats (among other things), and documents explaining the
file formats for those daring enough to write their own converters (which
we hope they will share with everyone else by uploading them here). This
site was created because there was a need and demand for a centralized
place to get objects. We do not carry PD renderers because those are
already archived elsewhere. See the file pub/FAQs/graphics-resource-listing
for more information on where to find them.

We are running this server on an overworked Sun SparcStation. People need
to use this machine M-F from about 7am to 6pm (PST), so if you can, please
limit big transfers to times outside this schedule.

Everything is in /pub. Directories there include:

        pub/FAQs          FAQ documents from the comp.graphics newsgroups
        pub/format_specs  Documents that explain the different 3D object
                          file formats available.
        pub/incoming      Directory for incoming stuff. See below.
        pub/misc          Anything that doesn't belong anyplace else.
        pub/objects       3D object files. Subdirectories exist for
                          different formats.
        pub/utils         Any utilities that help manipulate, view or
                          convert between the different object formats.

The pub/incoming directory is where you can put any new stuff you wish to
add to the archive. We check this directory for new files, sort them out,
and put them away in the other directories on a regular basis. This archive
is what only as good as what people upload, so if you know of something you
think we should have here, go ahead and upload it!

The file pub/INDEX is a listing of the archive directories. For now it will
just be in "ls -lR" format, but we hope to include descriptions in there
sometime in the near future.

Please refer all questions/problems/suggestions and comments regarding this