Help: Inventor animation to movie file (MPEG, QT etc)

Help: Inventor animation to movie file (MPEG, QT etc)

Post by George Marnell » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I need to save some animations I've created with
Open Inventor into movie files of formats like
MPEG, QuickTime and so on (if there is no way to
save the animations directly into MPEG or QT format,
are there other intermediate formats which I could
subsequently convert to MPEG or QT?)

Any help would be appreciated (I have not found any
related info in SGI's FAQ's or the Open Inventor book).

Thanks, George

Post by Frederick Haa » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I need to save some animations I've created with
> Open Inventor into movie files of formats like
> MPEG, QuickTime and so on (if there is no way to
> save the animations directly into MPEG or QT format,
> are there other intermediate formats which I could
> subsequently convert to MPEG or QT?)

> Any help would be appreciated (I have not found any
> related info in SGI's FAQ's or the Open Inventor book).

> Thanks, George

I see basically two solutions...the easiest is to output the
images and then use one of the dmedia tools to create the movie
you want...there are many formats available. (see makemovie,
moviemaker, and there are some newer utilities as well...
look for programs beginning with "dm").

The more difficult way (but really neat if you make a library
out of it) is to get the digital media development option
and use that library to write out the file yourself.

The former is more easily and quikly done in the short term,
the latter is better in the long run if you want to make
applications that have movie output as an option.

If I'm not mistaken, the Irix 6.2 dmedia formats include
MPEG and Quicktime, among several others, but I'm not sure
because I can't upgrade right now and so haven't really bothered
to check.

--
-=-=- Frederick Haab -=- Software Developer -=- Turner Production -=-=-

Help: Inventor animation to movie file (MPEG, QT etc)

Post by Russell Sw » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: >
: > I need to save some animations I've created with
: > Open Inventor into movie files of formats like
: > MPEG, QuickTime and so on (if there is no way to
: > save the animations directly into MPEG or QT format,
: > are there other intermediate formats which I could
: > subsequently convert to MPEG or QT?)
: >
: > Any help would be appreciated (I have not found any
: > related info in SGI's FAQ's or the Open Inventor book).
: >
: > Thanks, George

: I see basically two solutions...the easiest is to output the
: images and then use one of the dmedia tools to create the movie
: you want...there are many formats available. (see makemovie,
: moviemaker, and there are some newer utilities as well...
: look for programs beginning with "dm").

Output individual screen images, and go from still to still in the
movie? Or can you output the animation somehow? I tried using capture
but I just got a static image.

: The more difficult way (but really neat if you make a library
: out of it) is to get the digital media development option
: and use that library to write out the file yourself.

???

: The former is more easily and quikly done in the short term,
: the latter is better in the long run if you want to make
: applications that have movie output as an option.

: If I'm not mistaken, the Irix 6.2 dmedia formats include
: MPEG and Quicktime, among several others, but I'm not sure
: because I can't upgrade right now and so haven't really bothered
: to check.

: --
: -=-=- Frederick Haab -=- Software Developer -=- Turner Production -=-=-

I'm running an Impact w/ Irix 5.3. I have an app written w/ ViewKit and
OpenInventor that made a cool demo, and now I've been told to make a video.
I've been reading the help cards on capture, moviemaker, etc and the
SGI movie FAQ, and I'm lost.

Is there any straightforward way to capture what is occurring on the
screen in any kind of movie file?

-Russell Swan

1. Movie viewing (MPEG, Sparkle, QT, etc.)

Hi all! I'm looking for some help for a somewhat specific problem, but any
advice on the topic would be much appreciated.

I've just started downloading movies (I view MPEGs with Sparkle, QT movies
with Simple Player). I've noticed that the MPEGs all tend to lose their
sound, however. Any suggestions? (I've tried to use Sparkle to convert the
MPEGs to QT, but the sound is still lost, and the video then plays too
quickly.)

And while I have your attention, does anyone know a good .ZIP decoder?

Thanx,

- Eric

J. Eric Docktor                    |Thought for the month:

2. DXF files

3. QT->MPEG (How to produce and play back MPEG movies)

4. Immediate job openings in Los Angeles.

5. mpeg or QT movie --> animated gif

6. Voxelization from Modeling/Animation Pkgs

7. QT movie frames to individual files?

8. Go download Deep Paint 3D NOW!

9. QT Movie Player and AVI files

10. Making QT movies from JPEG files

11. How to convert QT Movie to individual PICT files

12. converting QT Mac movies to Windows movies ?

13. HELP: QT movie sound problem