PSP6: Moving a saved selection

I think you can only crop to a square/rectangle shaped selection.

Post by CR » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:35:43

I have saved a trapezium shape as a .sel file.
I now want to open a photo and then load the selection and then move the
selection around so I can crop where I want on the photo according to the
shape.
Can this be done?
TIA

______________________________________
To reply, replace "nes" with "bigfoot" (no quotes)

PSP6: Moving a saved selection

Post by LON » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 15:34:39

Well--yes and no! You can load the selection, move it around as needed, then
defloat it and--first turning the image into a duplicate layer, and deleting
the original--invert the selection. Then hit "cut". The result is a
"cropped" selection the shape you want. You would, of course, have to match
your background to the background of whatever you want to place the
resulting image on--or, if you are placing it on something that is
patterned, make the background transparent.

So although it isn't exactly cropped, the end result is the same, if I've
understood what it is you want.

> I think you can only crop to a square/rectangle shaped selection.

> > I have saved a trapezium shape as a .sel file.
> > I now want to open a photo and then load the selection and then move the
> > selection around so I can crop where I want on the photo according to
the
> > shape.
> > Can this be done?
> > TIA

> > ______________________________________
> > To reply, replace "nes" with "bigfoot" (no quotes)

PSP6: Moving a saved selection

Post by Mike » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

This is a handy tip I picked up here which might also work:

Create a new layer

Fill it with the color of your choice

Reduce the opacity of the color (via the slider bar)
to zero

Now you should be able to see the image to which you
want to apply your selection, but, you're in the layer
you've just added

Add your selection

Click on it (the color should change to the color you
filled this layer with)

Select the deformation tool

Move your selection where you want it.  Adjust it as
you see fit.

Click on the selection tool.

Defloat the selection (right click on the "floating
selection" in the layers window, select defloat)

Delete the layer you created.

There will be the selection of your choice.

Should you change your mind, hit Ctrl-Z a few times
to back up a few steps.

Post by Ronald Vic » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>I have saved a trapezium shape as a .sel file.
>I now want to open a photo and then load the selection and then move the
>selection around so I can crop where I want on the photo according to the
>shape.
>Can this be done?
>TIA

>______________________________________
>To reply, replace "nes" with "bigfoot" (no quotes)

To move a selection around, select the 'Move' tool, looks like arrows
pointing in 4 directions.  RIGHT click and drag the selection.

You cannot crop to that shape, because the window definition is that
all images will be a square or rectangle.

Many people seem to get 'Crop' and 'Copying a Selection' confused,
though.

Crop is when you change the size/shape of the image to a new
size/shape.  It'll always be square/rectangular and large enough to
enclose the maximum dimensions of the selection.

'Copying a Selection'  copies the contents within the selection/s.
Only the data within the selection is copied and it can be any shape.

Jaggiemeister Ron- PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter, Executive Officer.
Great Beginner info at http://www.jasc-canada-psp-edu.com
FAQs at http://www.alphageo.com/psp/faq.html
Very FAQ at http://members.aol.com/psptopten/topten.html
My tips at http://hometown.aol.com/ronaldlvick/index.html

1. Basics-Moving from selection to selection?

Hi,

I am just trying to edit (move it or resize it) a previous selection... How
do I get back to the inital object without losing everything I have done
after?  Or starting all over again?

And how do I save a file so that I can open it again and edit objects on
that page?

Thank you for your help...
-
Jeri

2. Someone has tried the VideoToaster NT

3. Save selection (NOT selection content!)

4. Scanner

5. PSP6 on W2k slows extremly down even with a small selection

6. alt. Canvas->Arc() available?

7. PSP6: Creating a certain shape with selection tool

8. Image filter sources / algorithm library sought

9. font selection in PSP6

10. PSP6 Crop to selection problems

11. Selections in PSP6

12. PSP6: JASC query - Vector selection