X-term over modem

Post by Todd Thomps » Sun, 30 Jun 1991 08:16:18

I'm sure the subject sounds somewhat crazy (X-windows over a modem), but
I'm curious and somewhat desperate.  Has anyone successfully performed an
X-term or X application displaying on a Mac using a modem to a Unix (Sun
Workstation) platform?  I believe there is a product called MacX which
provides the X-server for the Mac.  Does this run over a modem?  Maybe the
answer is "Yes, it COULD be done, but it would be so slow as to be
unusable".  That's fine, but I would still like to know.

TIA.

Todd Thompson

1. Purchasing: long term vs. short term

Any opinions out there on a basic purchasing strategy?
I'm thinking of buying a Mac but haven't decided weather it would be
better to try to buy a top of the line computer to last me 4 years,
of buy two midline computers every two years.

A Quadra 700 will cost me about $5000 including everything.
A IIsi will cost me about $2500-$3000 including everything.

Do I buy the Q700 and hold onto it, or do I buy the IIsi and sell it
in two years, then buy whatever's $2500 then?  (Or I guess I could
buy the Q700 and then sell it in two years and buy whatever's $5000
then... that makes sense...)

Ok, new question... which tends to depreciate faster?  top of the
line stuff or middle of the line stuff?

---

        Chuck Chung                             1-919-681-6536

        Durham, N.C.      27706

2. IR detector help

3. Null Modem to IIgs -- PC Term Prog alternatives?

4. Installing Scanner

5. Super Serial Card II, Modem/Term Block

6. HP 4SI MX - How to print to lower tray

7. WANTED: IIc Modem/Term info

8. IE6 Administrative Templates

9. modems, modems, and more modems

10. COLOR ANSI TERM for IIe/IIgs