Adapter to allow use of PC-compatible keyboard on Macintosh?

Adapter to allow use of PC-compatible keyboard on Macintosh?

Post by Ephraim Vishni » Tue, 04 Jan 1994 11:01:23

Does anyone know of an adapter that would allow the use of a
PC-compatible keyboard on a Macintosh? If so, please tell me about it.

--
Ephraim Vishniac    Thinking Machines Corporation    Cambridge, MA 02142

   On two occasions I have been asked, -- "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you
  put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

Post by Greg Cott » Tue, 04 Jan 1994 23:50:14

>Does anyone know of an adapter that would allow the use of a
>PC-compatible keyboard on a Macintosh? If so, please tell me about it.

I doubt that such an adapter exists since the Macintosh keyboard is an ADB
(Apple Desktop Bus) Device and requires some associated hardware that is not
part of an IBM keyboard.  Even though constructing an interface might be
possible, it is unlikely that this will in any way be cost effective.

L8r.
Greg

Post by Bo Orlo » Wed, 05 Jan 1994 04:17:50

> >Does anyone know of an adapter that would allow the use of a
> >PC-compatible keyboard on a Macintosh? If so, please tell me about it.
> I doubt that such an adapter exists since the Macintosh keyboard is an ADB
> (Apple Desktop Bus) Device and requires some associated hardware that is not
> part of an IBM keyboard.  Even though constructing an interface might be
> possible, it is unlikely that this will in any way be cost effective.

Maybe. Maybe not. I've seen extended keyboards for PC's on sale for as
little as $29.95 while non-exteded Mac keyboards seem to start at about
$100. If someone could make a serial to ADB adapter and sell it
profitably for say $30 or $40 they'd stand an excellent chance of making
some real money. I freely admit that I have no idea what would be
involved in making such an item and it's entirely possible that the
components would cost too much to sell the finished product that cheaply,
but if not...

--
Bo Orloff

Stare into the microwave, face to the screen now
come alive to the fat beetle humming 'Deceive the world' - The Mekons

Adapter to allow use of PC-compatible keyboard on Macintosh?

Post by Peter Ja » Wed, 05 Jan 1994 19:16:18

Hello everybody!

>> >Does anyone know of an adapter that would allow the use of a
>> >PC-compatible keyboard on a Macintosh? If so, please tell me about it.
>[...]
>Maybe. Maybe not. I've seen extended keyboards for PC's on sale for as
>little as $29.95 while non-exteded Mac keyboards seem to start at about
>$100. If someone could make a serial to ADB adapter and sell it
>profitably for say $30 or $40 they'd stand an excellent chance of making
>some real money. I freely admit that I have no idea what would be
>involved in making such an item and it's entirely possible that the
>components would cost too much to sell the finished product that cheaply,
>but if not...

One thing I remember is, there was an article in a german magazine (perhaps
back in november) where they mentioned something like that.  Unfortunately,
this was in story about German MacExpo, and without any detail about how
to reach that supplier, or at least I can't remember that.  The suggested
price (I remember something like 100 or 150 DM(!)) would allow to save
some money when getting a keyboard, but I don't know about the quality you
get then.

Best regards, Peter.
--

1. Adapter to allow use of PC-compatible keyboard on Macintosh?

Actually I saw one that was just introduced at MacWorld Expo.  It
was a little box that allows you to plug any PC keyboard into the
ADB port of a Mac.  I think it was going for about $100.  And I'm
sorry, but I can't remember the name of the company.  It does exist
though.

--                       --

-- Peirce Software, Inc. -- 719 Hibiscus Place, Suite 301
--                       -- San Jose, California USA 95117
-- Makers of: Smoothie & -- voice: +1.408.244.6554 fax: +1.408.244.6882
--    Peirce Print Tools -- AppleLink: peirce & America Online: AFC Peirce
--                       --

2. Amiga Offline Mailreader

3. Using PC-compatible keyboards with a IIgs and a Keystone adapter?

4. Updating globals with locks (linux)

5. Using PC compatible for fileserver -- suggestions/experience?

6. WAB and MAPI, do they conflict?

7. PC/Macintosh data-compatible programs

8. OS/2 and Windows95 Peer to Peer

9. Disk Drivers: SCSI-4.3 compatible AND allow re-partitioning?

10. PC keyboard adapter for Macs

11. Adapter to use AT-style PC keyboard on a Mac?

12. What mac-ibm video adapter will allow 800x600 & 1024x768

13. Using my PC monitor, keyboard, mouse with GS