Memory upgrades for the Quadra: how and how many

Memory upgrades for the Quadra: how and how many

Post by Andrew M. Cohi » Thu, 05 Mar 1992 05:22:23

Has anyone attempted to install memory upgrades in a Quadra 700?  Apple
thoughtfully put the slots under the disk drives, and it looks like you
first have to yank out the power supply.  I can't see any cables from
the top of the power supply, so I am wondering if you just pull up
firmly and it comes out of a socket on the motherboard.

Also, can you install Quadra VRAM one card at a time?  There are four
empty slots in there.  The only thing that seems to be available is 256K
VRAM, so I want to put in two cards for a total of 1 meg of video ram.

--

Post by William Kuchars » Thu, 05 Mar 1992 07:48:16

 >Has anyone attempted to install memory upgrades in a Quadra 700?  Apple
 >thoughtfully put the slots under the disk drives, and it looks like you
 >first have to yank out the power supply.  I can't see any cables from
 >the top of the power supply, so I am wondering if you just pull up
 >firmly and it comes out of a socket on the motherboard.

That's more or less what happens (though not exactly -- don't just pull!).
But basically, you remove one screw, slide out the power supply, then slide
out the disk drive assembly.  Presto! -- you're looking at the SIMM slots.

 >Also, can you install Quadra VRAM one card at a time?  There are four
 >empty slots in there.  The only thing that seems to be available is 256K
 >VRAM, so I want to put in two cards for a total of 1 meg of video ram.

Yes, you can, but basically there's no reason to unless you're using a 19"
monitor.  For example, the 512K of VRAM built in gives you 8 bit color on
13" and 16" color displays, but you don't get 24 bit color until you've
installed all six VRAM SIMMs.

FYI, I currently have 2 Mb VRAM and 20 Mb RAM in my Q700.  And I'm in love. :-)
--

Post by Patrick D. Wa » Thu, 05 Mar 1992 09:40:18

>  >Has anyone attempted to install memory upgrades in a Quadra 700?  Apple
>  >thoughtfully put the slots under the disk drives, and it looks like you
>  >first have to yank out the power supply.  I can't see any cables from
>  >the top of the power supply, so I am wondering if you just pull up
>  >firmly and it comes out of a socket on the motherboard.

> That's more or less what happens (though not exactly -- don't just pull!).
> But basically, you remove one screw, slide out the power supply, then slide
> out the disk drive assembly.  Presto! -- you're looking at the SIMM slots.

Having done this less then 10 minutes ago, I'd like to add a small but
important step.

There is a tab on the plastic drive assembly that snaps into a slot on
the power supply.  In order to slide the power supply out, you must
GENTLY push this tab out with a flat bladed scewdriver.    Otherwise

it in.  Not that I would do something like that! : )

Wondering what it all means,
Pat

1. Help, memory upgrade on Quadra...

The Quadra 8xx series is hard to get memory installed in. Yes, you have to
remove the motherboard. Luckily, I have performed the exact same surgery
(a 32 MB simm) and can help you.

I'm sure you already have the case off. If you don't, you can take off the
four screws on the back and push the whole front assembly away from you
(if looking at it from the back). It helps to pucker out the sides of the
case when you are removing everything.

Now for the hard part. Set the case on it's side and remove any NuBus
cards. Put it back the right way up. Remove the power button (just push on
the tabs and pull out it away from the hole). Disconnect all the cables on
the top of the motherboard. I found it easier to disconnect the CD Audio
cable from the CD-ROM drive. To remove the power cable, push on the little
catch. The CD audio cable I still haven't found a tactic to remove (BTW, I
think mine's damaged). Next, remove the screw on the middle of the
motherboard/plastic guard. Slide the motherboard to the left and push the
tab to release the motherboard. Be careful, the LED cable is attached!
Disconnect the LED cable. Swing the motherboard so it is almost
perpendicular to the case, and disconnect the composite video cables. Put
the motherboard down on the plastic guard. Since you have performed the
upgrade on a PC, you should know how to install simms. I had to remove one
because it already had 4 installed. Just reverse the steps to put the
computer back together. Getting the motherboard aligned where it goes is
most of the trouble...beware.

That's it!
Doug

2. (laser power failed) == throw out OD ???

3. Quadra 700 memory upgrade

4. Terminal Server patch

5. 28.6 mhz IIsi upgrade - cheap quadra upgrade info

6. X-10 Amiga Software

7. Quadra 605 memory

8. Permission to post RamFAST Rev. D 3.01e EPROM binary here.

9. Will IBM PS 72pin memory modules work in a QUADRA 605 ???

10. Quadra 700 Memory

11. Quadra 700 Memory Install FAQ

12. Quadra 800 memory?

13. Quadra Cache Problems - possibly memory