Need help in repair of two Apple Powerbooks

Need help in repair of two Apple Powerbooks

Post by Filip M Gieszczykiewi » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Greetings. This is an update... the 270c is being dealt with on the
"buy a new/used MB" principle and we found someone who let us have one
cheap! (under $200) So, unless I hear otherwise, that is settled.

The 165c is another story!

There appears to be more mystery to the dying backlight on the 165c...
and it appears that it's the OS that is shutting it off since if I
keep the PB in reset mode (hit reset button when PB is just turned on
and the BL is full-on, since no de* installed I get a blank screen)
I can keep the BL on for hours! Nothing dims, nothing gets hot, no noises,
flickers, nothing out of the ordinary -> so it's NOT an overload of any
sort. When I reset the machine and it starts coming up... after about
7 seconds the display RAMPS down to ~25% brightness and stays there
until right before it clicks the speaker and plays the sound (hmmm) the
user installed, the BL ramps out and shuts off completely! That's what
you get for software control of life-support ;-)

I found a BackLight utility on mirror of Apples's server... see URL:

ftp://mirrors.aol.com/pub/mac/util/powerbook/backlightcontrol1.0.cpt.hqx

"Turn the backlight on a PowerBook off when the mouse has been idle
 for a specified time and you are working from the battery. ~10KB"

BTW, anyone know if this is any help:

ftp://mirrors.aol.com/pub/mac/misc/documentation/pbrui3.0.sit.hqx
(~400KB 9/29/95)

"A compilation of powerbook repairs, upgrades, and installations;
 Adobe Acrobat Reader required to read document."

Anyone have any hints?

Take care.

P.S. Cross-post carefully chosen. Followup will provide sources of
parts, etc. that I have found.
--

| http://www.veryComputer.com/~filipg/ |SCI.ELECTRONICS.REPAIR FAQ + LOTS MORE!
| Enjoy your job, work within the law, make lots of money : Choose any two.
| I think for myself. I listen. I make decisions. I speak what I believe.

1. Need help for repair of Apple IIgs Monitor!

Hi everyone,

the monitor of my old Apple IIgs just died, and I would greatly
appreciate some hints on how to fix it.

The monitor is labelled "Apple Color RGB Monitor". The screen diagonal
is 11" (estimated). It's the one that was usually bundled with an Apple
IIgs.

The symptoms are the following:

For over a year, the monitor occasionally went black, but always came
back to life when given a gentle hit on its right side. Now, it no
longer does.
When I turn it on, I can hear the "degauss procedure" being done. The
normal hiss of the power supply can also be heard. The power LED stays
dark however.

I have already checked as many plugs and cables as possible (also inside
the monitor), but without success. When I turn the brightness to maximum
(using the "screen" control inside the monitor), I can see a horizontal
white line in the middle of the screen. I guess this means that the high
voltage supply and the horizontal deflection unit are still working but
the vertical deflection unit is not. Unfortunately, I have no idea how
to fix it ... it's probably only a minor problem, because for such a
long time, a hit on the side was enough to _temporally_ fix it. But I
have no idea _what_ part is failing.

Any suggestions?

        Guido

2. GNU Emacs

3. NEED Help repairing old Apple][+

4. DPT problems, again. This time, it's Internal Stack Overflow

5. Help: Repair a monochrome Apple /// monitor (for a IIe) -- simple test needed

6. Help with Time Calculations

7. Powerbook 170 freezes after 18 seconds; Help!

8. Help! Dropped Powerbook Needs Help

9. Animas / Genius scanner, need new plug-ins

10. help with duo screen needed - Self repair of duo 230 screen , how ?

11. Help - Mac floppy repair/replace info needed