DEAD MAC! - HELP!!!

Post by CR » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:17:39

Hey Group...
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

My home computer just died this past weekend....It's a Mac G3 Desktop 266mHz
upgraded with a MAXpowr Newertechnology 400mHz G4 card.
It's running OS 9.2.2 and has a maximum of 192 MB RAM.
I've added a USB card, an IXMicro video card and everything has been working
great with this setup for over a year...

Then in just the past week it started freezing up for no reason...doing very
mundane tasks, even on startups...Saturday morning I ran Norton's and
TechTool Pro and both found only very minor problems that were fixed (bundle
bits, mod. dates, etc.). All media and surface scans came up ok...I even ran
a lot of the expert tests on Tech Tool. And the drive was completely
optimized and defragged. All things that I do on a relatively regular basis.

I restarted and it froze minutes after being up and running...then upon
restarting it froze a mere seconds upon use. After that it started freezing
while it started up and then nothing.....she died (sniff-sniff).

I hit the power button and the fan would come on but no hardrive activity
noises and the green light on the front of the computer wouldn't come on.
I tried continually to do force restarts and occasionally I would get the
green light to come on but the startup would never progress passed the
initial gray screen. I disconnected all devices that were unnecessary I
opened the case and checked over all connections and cleaned all dust out
with air. Still nothing... now all I get is the fan spinning upon powering
up and the "no sync input" message on my blank monitor. No light and no
hardrive noise.

I plan on getting a new system soon, but I need to retrieve a bunch of files
from the old machine...I NEED HELP... even a quick fix so I can copy files
over to an external USB HD... The machine has been a workhorse for me for
many years now and I know it's probably passed it's time, but I need just
enough to retrieve my files and let it rest.

Email me or post replys:
brombones (at) paonline (dot) com

Thanks in advance,
Chris

DEAD MAC! - HELP!!!

Post by King Neptun » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 02:28:50

Hi There..  if you're not even getting the "Happy Mac"
(smiling icon of an old Mac 128K upon booting) on  the screen
then you have problems well before the hard drive etc.,.etc.

** Did you try a brand new  *PRAM Battery* ..???

Ciao,

Quote:>CR posted on 7/7/03 11:17 AM:
> Hey Group...
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

> My home computer just died this past weekend....It's a Mac G3 Desktop 266mHz
> upgraded with a MAXpowr Newertechnology 400mHz G4 card.
> It's running OS 9.2.2 and has a maximum of 192 MB RAM.
> I've added a USB card, an IXMicro video card and everything has been working
> great with this setup for over a year...

> Then in just the past week it started freezing up for no reason...doing very
> mundane tasks, even on startups...Saturday morning I ran Norton's and
> TechTool Pro and both found only very minor problems that were fixed (bundle
> bits, mod. dates, etc.). All media and surface scans came up ok...I even ran
> a lot of the expert tests on Tech Tool. And the drive was completely
> optimized and defragged. All things that I do on a relatively regular basis.

> I restarted and it froze minutes after being up and running...then upon
> restarting it froze a mere seconds upon use. After that it started freezing
> while it started up and then nothing.....she died (sniff-sniff).

> I hit the power button and the fan would come on but no hardrive activity
> noises and the green light on the front of the computer wouldn't come on.
> I tried continually to do force restarts and occasionally I would get the
> green light to come on but the startup would never progress passed the
> initial gray screen. I disconnected all devices that were unnecessary I
> opened the case and checked over all connections and cleaned all dust out
> with air. Still nothing... now all I get is the fan spinning upon powering
> up and the "no sync input" message on my blank monitor. No light and no
> hardrive noise.

> I plan on getting a new system soon, but I need to retrieve a bunch of files
> from the old machine...I NEED HELP... even a quick fix so I can copy files
> over to an external USB HD... The machine has been a workhorse for me for
> many years now and I know it's probably passed it's time, but I need just
> enough to retrieve my files and let it rest.

> Email me or post replys:
> brombones (at) paonline (dot) com

> Thanks in advance,
> Chris

DEAD MAC! - HELP!!!

Post by Jim McGhe » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:58:50

If worst comes to worst, you should be able to remove the hard drive and
temporally hook it up to the new mac as a second drive and copy over
what you need.

Jim

--
Give your problems to God.
Might as well... He's going to be up all night anyway.

DEAD MAC! - HELP!!!

Post by CR » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:20:09

Thanks...I'll keep it safe until I can transfer it....
-CR

> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.wanted,comp.sys.mac.hardware
> Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:58:50 GMT
> Subject: Re: DEAD MAC! - HELP!!!

> If worst comes to worst, you should be able to remove the hard drive and
> temporally hook it up to the new mac as a second drive and copy over
> what you need.

> Jim

>> Hey Group...
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

>> My home computer just died this past weekend....It's a Mac G3 Desktop 266mHz
>> upgraded with a MAXpowr Newertechnology 400mHz G4 card.
>> It's running OS 9.2.2 and has a maximum of 192 MB RAM.
>> I've added a USB card, an IXMicro video card and everything has been working
>> great with this setup for over a year...

>> Then in just the past week it started freezing up for no reason...doing very
>> mundane tasks, even on startups...Saturday morning I ran Norton's and
>> TechTool Pro and both found only very minor problems that were fixed (bundle
>> bits, mod. dates, etc.). All media and surface scans came up ok...I even ran
>> a lot of the expert tests on Tech Tool. And the drive was completely
>> optimized and defragged. All things that I do on a relatively regular basis.

>> I restarted and it froze minutes after being up and running...then upon
>> restarting it froze a mere seconds upon use. After that it started freezing
>> while it started up and then nothing.....she died (sniff-sniff).

>> I hit the power button and the fan would come on but no hardrive activity
>> noises and the green light on the front of the computer wouldn't come on.
>> I tried continually to do force restarts and occasionally I would get the
>> green light to come on but the startup would never progress passed the
>> initial gray screen. I disconnected all devices that were unnecessary I
>> opened the case and checked over all connections and cleaned all dust out
>> with air. Still nothing... now all I get is the fan spinning upon powering
>> up and the "no sync input" message on my blank monitor. No light and no
>> hardrive noise.

>> I plan on getting a new system soon, but I need to retrieve a bunch of files
>> from the old machine...I NEED HELP... even a quick fix so I can copy files
>> over to an external USB HD... The machine has been a workhorse for me for
>> many years now and I know it's probably passed it's time, but I need just
>> enough to retrieve my files and let it rest.

>> Email me or post replys:
>> brombones (at) paonline (dot) com

>> Thanks in advance,
>> Chris

> --
> Give your problems to God.
> Might as well... He's going to be up all night anyway.

DEAD MAC! - HELP!!!

Post by morenu » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:01:03

As others have suggested 1,2, & 4:

1) do check all connections, removing & reseating all RAM, cable
connectors,etc. and temporarily at least all external devices removed
except mouse & keyboard.
2) check/replace PRAM battery, 3.6 v on most model Mac G4s and I assume
same on G3. About $10 at Radio Shack cheaper on net. Also check battery
contacts on motherboard for corrosion. I had some slight corrosion on my
G4 once.

3) press the CUDA switch (PMU button on later G4s). Located near
battery, press it ONCE (an accidental more than one press will drain
PRAM battery in about 24 hours instead of 3 years) for about 3-5
seconds, release.
4) rest PRAM. above step 3 probably already does this but do it anyway.

The CUDA or PMU button has revived many "dead" G3s & G4s. It is quite
sensitive to static charges and voltage transients.

I just this week had a G4 933 model which was off during a thunderstorm
(and surge protector off too) fail to boot, not drive spin up, no power
supply fan, nothing but blue power switch light. PMU button pressed and
it was back in business.

All this brought my Jan 2000 G4 back to life a year ago when this
puzzling failure happened to me.

Good luck.
Morenuf

DEAD MAC! - HELP!!!

Post by CR » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:08:19

Thanks a ton! I'll try these suggestions!
Chris

> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.wanted,comp.sys.mac.hardware
> Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:01:03 GMT
> Subject: Re: DEAD MAC! - HELP!!!

> As others have suggested 1,2, & 4:

> 1) do check all connections, removing & reseating all RAM, cable
> connectors,etc. and temporarily at least all external devices removed
> except mouse & keyboard.
> 2) check/replace PRAM battery, 3.6 v on most model Mac G4s and I assume
> same on G3. About $10 at Radio Shack cheaper on net. Also check battery
> contacts on motherboard for corrosion. I had some slight corrosion on my
> G4 once.

> 3) press the CUDA switch (PMU button on later G4s). Located near
> battery, press it ONCE (an accidental more than one press will drain
> PRAM battery in about 24 hours instead of 3 years) for about 3-5
> seconds, release.
> 4) rest PRAM. above step 3 probably already does this but do it anyway.

> The CUDA or PMU button has revived many "dead" G3s & G4s. It is quite
> sensitive to static charges and voltage transients.

> I just this week had a G4 933 model which was off during a thunderstorm
> (and surge protector off too) fail to boot, not drive spin up, no power
> supply fan, nothing but blue power switch light. PMU button pressed and
> it was back in business.

> All this brought my Jan 2000 G4 back to life a year ago when this
> puzzling failure happened to me.

> Good luck.
> Morenuf

1. HELP HELP HELP DEAD MAC

HELP is there anyone out there who can help me!!!

I bought a MacMemory upgrade about a year and a half ago.  It had a two
year warranty on it.  Now I have bad problems.  The mac will not boot up
anymore I receive a '031100' error at boot time.  The error is a failed
RAM test.  I had it taken into a shop and the problem is either in the
mother or daughter board.  The repairman does not want to trouble shoot
it with out the scematics.  MacMemory has just gone out of business.  I
am in deep &#$%  Is there anyone out there that has a Macmemory upgrade
or has a good set of scematics.  If I can get these I'm sure that I can
get my mac fixed.  Please help I am macless

Please respond via e-mail or real mail

jonathan beck
6 sunset view blvd
wakefield, ri 02879

thanks for everyones help
jon

2. Setting Up NTP on AIX

3. Dead Dead Dead

4. Enable Sound Feature

5. HELP ME with dead mac

6. JForth pathetic whiners! (Re: JForth released as freeware !!!)

7. Dead Mac Plus -- Help!

8. IOPADS '97 housing

9. help...my mac is dead

10. HELP | Dead Keyboard/Mouse on Mac IIcx

11. dead floppy on Mac IIci - HELP!!

12. Mac II ADB fuse dead, HELP!!

13. dead mac plus, need help