Mac IIsi vs. Mac IIci, running games

Post by Charlie Min » Tue, 06 Aug 1991 08:44:22

 > I have heard that Mac IIci's are very poor for running games, something
 > due to QuickDraw being in the ROM, and not switchable? Anyway, I would
 > like to hear from any of you out there who have used either or both
 > of these machines to run any games.

   Whenever a new mac comes out there are some software incompatibilities
from developers who didn't follow the rules. Games s/w is most likely to
have this problem, becaus it tends to rely a lot on shortcuts.

   There shouldn't be any problems with the ci, as it's been out two
years now. I have some games s/w that will only run on the Plus/SE/SE-30,
because of different video requirements (Dark Castle, for example).  There
are no games I know of that will run on an si, and not on my ci. Quite
the reverse, since the si is the newer machine.

 * Origin: A point in my favor. (1:109/716.4218)

Mac IIsi vs. Mac IIci, running games

Post by Raffi Kamali » Thu, 08 Aug 1991 22:21:28

Quote:>if it's games you want -::- STAY AWAY FROM SYSTEM 7.0

>Since I installed 7.0 on my //si, 90% of my games won't work (when I startup
>off of the harddrive).

Really? what kinds of games do you have?  I know that a lot of shareware
and PD games aren't system 7 compatible... but I know that lots of games
like SimCity and Harpoon and Vette are compatable.  From what I've read
in MacUser lots of comercial games are 7-savvy (or atleast 7 friendly)

-------------------------------------

T  David Taylor      T   oasys.     T
R   Research Center  R    dt.navy.  R
C    Cardercock MD   C     mil      C
-------------------------------------

Post by Rick L » Sat, 10 Aug 1991 02:06:13

>Really? what kinds of games do you have?  I know that a lot of shareware
>and PD games aren't system 7 compatible... but I know that lots of games
>like SimCity and Harpoon and Vette are compatable.  From what I've read
>in MacUser lots of comercial games are 7-savvy (or atleast 7 friendly)

For Simcity, I think you need an Update file to run it on System 7.0

Post by Richard Bretscheid » Sat, 10 Aug 1991 12:27:02

>>Really? what kinds of games do you have?  I know that a lot of shareware
>>and PD games aren't system 7 compatible... but I know that lots of games
>>like SimCity and Harpoon and Vette are compatable.  From what I've read
>>in MacUser lots of comercial games are 7-savvy (or atleast 7 friendly)
>For Simcity, I think you need an Update file to run it on System 7.0

Maxis has posted an updater to CIS.  Should be available via Internet by
~now.

I've used it.  Works fine with my ci and sys 7.

--

"If you're not going to kill me, I've got things to do."
Ric Bretschneider

Post by Steve Winga » Sat, 10 Aug 1991 22:47:12

|> >For Simcity, I think you need an Update file to run it on System 7.0
|>
|> Maxis has posted an updater to CIS.  Should be available via Internet by
|> ~now.
|>
|> I've used it.  Works fine with my ci and sys 7.

Hmmm.  When I was in my friendly neigborhood software shop last
night looking for SimCity, the box explicitly said "NOT FOR IIci".

Was this a bogus lie?  Is there a specific release that WILL run on
the ci?  Or can I buy the one I found last night and use the updater
to get something that works?  (If the updater *is* available on some
Internet FTP site, I'd like to know...)

Gawd, my brain hurts...

--
Steve Wingard                                      ingr!b11!scw!wingard

"I prefer the company of eccentrics."                        - Joseph Francis

Post by Richard Bretscheid » Sat, 10 Aug 1991 23:46:49

>|> Maxis has posted an updater to CIS.  Should be available via Internet by
>|> ~now.
>|>
>|> I've used it.  Works fine with my ci and sys 7.
>Hmmm.  When I was in my friendly neigborhood software shop last
>night looking for SimCity, the box explicitly said "NOT FOR IIci".
>Was this a bogus lie?  Is there a specific release that WILL run on
>the ci?  Or can I buy the one I found last night and use the updater
>to get something that works?  (If the updater *is* available on some
>Internet FTP site, I'd like to know...)

I don't know how much more obviously I can say this.
I have a ci.
I had the original color release disk of SimCity.
I used the updater.
Program works on my ci running System 7.

You'll just have to decide for yourself! :-)

--

"If you're not going to kill me, I've got things to do."
Ric Bretschneider
apple!netcom!ric
BWAH-Ha-ha!

1. Mac IISi vs. HP DeskWriter = Fried Mac??

I'm considering buying a IISi & DeskWriter, and heard scary things about
the combination on AOL.  Apparently newer Mac IIs have a problem with
resistance degradation (?) in their serial ports: over time resistance
decreases.  The (AppleTalk-capable) DeskWriter sees this and goes into
AppleTalk mode, which means it can't talk (directly) to the Mac any
more.  HP & Apple have discussed the problem; a letter from HP was
posted on AOL which said that Apple had agreed it was their problem.

Now for the scary part.  Someone on AOL claimed that Apple's fix for this
problem involved a new motherboard, and that Apple would not fix it
unless you bought AppleCare.  SO: I have a bunch of questions.

- Has anyone seen this problem firsthand?  If so, how did you fix it?
- Has anyone had problems getting their Mac fixed because they hadn't
bought Applecare?
- A possible workaround might be to run the DeskWriter via AppleTalk
from day one.  I understand this would involve two AppleTalk boxes and a
cable between them; total cost ~$100.  Question is: would this run
faster or slower than a straight serial port?
- Unrelated question: the DeskWriter comes with a bunch of Compugraphic
outline fonts, or so I hear.  How useful are those fonts?  Can you use
them with Adobe Type Manager?
- General question:  Are DeskWriter owners happy with their machines?

Please post responses; mail to me is flaky at best.

TIA (Thanks In Advance)...
Frank Piper
(215)341-4644

2. basic question (foundry's fastiron switches)

3. Mac IIci Wait states (was Re: Mac IIci benchmarks)

4. TAO NT Naming Service parameters - where?

5. Cleaning out the closet - Old Macs FS CHEAP - Mac SE, Mac Plus, Mac IIsi

6. Problem with limiting the size of a Temporary Internet Files folder

7. Problems running NEC CDR73 on Mac IIci

8. The Computer Journal

9. IIsi vs IIci

10. IIci vs. IIsi questions