Hardrive swap

Post by W. Ro » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 10:52:33

I recently upgraded to a larger hardrive, which left with with a practically
useless internal 80 meg Quantum. I still have an old Segate external 20 meg
hardrive that I used with my *old* MacPlus. I've been wondering if it is at
all possible to swap the 80 meg into the 20 meg case...? I'm not entirely sure
this can be done because of the need for different controller parts and the
need to change the scsi address.

Does anyone who knows more about this than I think this can or cannot be done?

Thanks --

-=WSR=-

Hardrive swap

Post by John Wern » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 14:09:11

> I've been wondering if it is at
> all possible to swap the 80 meg into the 20 meg case...? I'm not entirely sure
> this can be done because of the need for different controller parts and the
> need to change the scsi address.

It probably can be done, as long as the old Seagate drive was a SCSI drive.
 The controller circuitry is built into the little circuit board on the
bottom of the Quantum drive.  To connect the drive all you need to do is
connect the Quantum drive to the SCSI ribbon cable that is probably already
there in the old drive's case.  The only trick will be changing the SCSI
id.  I think there are some jumpers on the back of the drive that control
the id, but I'm not sure which ones do what.  Someone else probably knows,
or you could always experiment.

--

UC Berkeley School of Education    510-596-5868 work, 655-6188 home

Hardrive swap

Post by John Rya » Sat, 16 Oct 1993 18:14:06

>I recently upgraded to a larger hardrive, which left with with a
practically
>useless internal 80 meg Quantum. I still have an old Segate external 20
meg
>hardrive that I used with my *old* MacPlus. I've been wondering if it is
at
>all possible to swap the 80 meg into the 20 meg case...? I'm not
entirely sure
>this can be done because of the need for different controller parts and
the
>need to change the scsi address.

>Does anyone who knows more about this than I think this can or cannot be

done?

I had an Apple 20Mb external hard disk and a spare internal 40Mb hard
disk, as it has been said you can just plug the SCSI connector in the
case (once the old disk has been removed) into the replacement drive but
you have to set the SCSI address.  I could only do this by putting a
jumper on the address selector on the drive because the thumbwheel
selector on the existing external case didn't seem to work!! If there was
no connection on the back of the drive it would assume it was the same
address as the internal disk in your main machine and so wouldn't boot up!
It is now been sitting there by my computer for the past half a year and
I haven't had any problems with it!
If you are going to only use it with one machine this shouldn't be a
problem.

Electric Johnny

1. SWAP: Bugg-Power 150 watt swap for ProFILE power supply

        PROPOSED SWAP: BUGG-POWER 150 WATT POWER SUPPLY FOR IIGS OR IIE

           TO GET A POWER SUPPLY FOR APPLE PROFILE HARD DRIVE

        HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have a ProFILE  hard drive casing that needs a working power supply.

If anyone has such a power supply for ProFILE, I will send you a 150 watt
Bugg-Power power supply for either IIe or IIgs (your choice of plug.)
This is a good offer because I charge $27 for this Bugg-Power unit when
selling for cash.

Sure, I can put a standard IIe power supply into the Profile casing, but
I'd prefer to stay with the actual ProFile power supply if I can get one.

Steve Buggie
200 College Rd.

2. SupraMAX ISA Modem NEED HELP!

3. IIgs in IIe swap: 2-for-1 swap

4. Simple VPN Error

5. instructions on hardrives in Kegs32 6

6. Problem scaling axes

7. FS: External power-supplies for TMS Shadow hardrive

8. Buddy on 200LX

9. Apple II Hardrive on Mac

10. Printer, SCSI hardrives + stuff 4sale

11. WTB IIgs hardrive

12. ** Wanted Apple hardrive wit controller **

13. RamFAST and incompatible hardrives - which?