Powerbook 3400 background noise?

Post by d.. » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> System: PB 3400c/200/80mb RAM, MacOS 8.1+AudioTuneUp 2.0

> Problem, There's a constant background white-noise-like (hiss) background
> noise coming out of the speakers. Not loud but noticeable. How can I get
> rid of that, other than turning down the volume? I still want to hear
> other sounds.

> Thanks.

If you're not using the internal mic change the input source to something
other than "None" or "Built-in Mic" which seem to cause the most noise. On
my system the quietest settings seem to be the last three, "Internal
Modem", "Zoom Video", and "PC Card"

Good Luck
D.W.

Nil sine magno labore

Post by Will Howa » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

System: PB 3400c/200/80mb RAM, MacOS 8.1+AudioTuneUp 2.0

Problem, There's a constant background white-noise-like (hiss) background
noise coming out of the speakers. Not loud but noticeable. How can I get
rid of that, other than turning down the volume? I still want to hear
other sounds.

Thanks.

1. Background noise from PowerBook speaker

I'm curious if there are others out there who have encountered this.  I have
been using a PB170 with the PowerPort V.32 internal modem.  When the hard disk
drive has gone to sleep, I can often (but not always) hear a sort of hiss
from the speaker (i.e. from behind the slots above the keyboard).  (Before
anyone goes down the wrong track, I should emphasize that I don't mean the
noise that appears when the screen brightness is turned down.)  This hiss is
very reminiscent of the sorts of sounds one hears on AM radios placed near
computers, the more so because when the system goes into "Rest" mode, slowing
down the processor, the character of the noise changes, becoming intermittent
blips of hiss rather than a continuous stream.

It's not very loud, but in a quiet room at night with this mercifully fanless
computer, it does eventually get annoying.  I'm also somewhat concerned that
there might be additional battery drain from this.  Any experience or ideas
out there?

2. How can I install Omniback II on solaris 8?

3. Need Powerbook 3400 MODEM UPDATE

4. Registry Language

5. PowerBook 3400 RAM Upgrade

6. Dialogic "resource not available" cause code using CTR4

7. Powerbook 3400/200+box+zip+CD+floppy+Mot PC card

8. Ptolemy info

9. FS: Powerbook 3400 12X CDrom $99

10. Powerbook 3400 /240/3g

11. More serial ports for Powerbook 3400 in OS9/Linux, any way?

12. Connecting PowerBook (3400) to desktop mac??

13. Replacement Modem for Mac PowerBook 3400?