SE/30 card with Ethernet and video *vs* SCSI Ethernet

SE/30 card with Ethernet and video *vs* SCSI Ethernet

Post by Marc Mazuhel » Thu, 28 Feb 1991 23:15:55

Hi there,

A while ago, I posted a message asking for an SE/30 PDS card with both
Ethernet *and* video for an external screen.  The only two responses I
got were from people interested in the responses I would get :-(
I will try to find the time to make a few phone calls to card makers.
If I find something, I will post it here.

If someone missed the first query or didn't respond, you can still do
it!  I (and at least 2 other persons) would like to hear from you!

In the meantime, I guess I have to consider the alternative: A video
board in the PDS slot and a SCSI Ethernet box :-(

I seem to remember that the first versions of these boards were not
exactly perfect...  I am interested in knowing about compatibility and
performance.  I know Compatible Systems make one (and they have good
University rebates too).

So if you have something to say (either good or bad) about any SCSI box
you use, I would like to hear from you.  I will summarize of there are
enough responses.

Again, thanks for your help!

--
{  Marc Mazuhelli                   |  professeur                  }

{  <this space intentionaly ...     |  Universite de Sherbrooke    }
{                   ... left blank> |  Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada  }

Post by Herb Pop » Fri, 01 Mar 1991 01:04:58

Quote:Mazuhelli) writes:
> A while ago, I posted a message asking for an SE/30 PDS card with both
> Ethernet *and* video for an external screen.
> In the meantime, I guess I have to consider the alternative: A video
> board in the PDS slot and a SCSI Ethernet box :-(

When the SE (not SE/30) first came out, I seem to recall that some
external screen card vendors were offering (or planned to offer :-)) a
"piggyback" arrangement on their video cards that would allow you to plug
in an additional PDS card. I don't remember if anyone actually came out
with such a product and if there is enough room in an SE/30 to pull the
same trick. Does anyone know if this was ever done for the SE/30?

NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

1. SE/30 card with combined Ethernet *and* video?

Hi there,

Does anyone know if someone makes a card for the SE/30 can drive an
external screen (I'm thinking of the 12" monochrome) but also contains
an Ethernet controller?  I need both but of course the SE/30 has only
one slot... By the way, 4 or 8 bit video would be nice, but I can
live with 1 bit.

I know that there are other options, like a SCSI ethernet box, but I
thought I would first look for a card that could do both.

Thank you very much for your help!

--
{  Marc Mazuhelli                   |  professeur                  }

{  <this space intentionaly ...     |  Universite de Sherbrooke    }
{                   ... left blank> |  Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada  }

2. 2nd CFV and VOTE ACK: comp.sys.stratus

3. SE/30 vs. SI as EtherNet Server

4. Unarchiving help

5. SCSI ethernet for my SE-30?

6. Why this doesn't work?

7. Asante ethernet card hangs SE/30 & their e_mail address.

8. Source for Windows Developers Journal ??

9. Want external monitor for SE/30 with int. ethernet card

10. SE/30 Ethernet card *WANTED*

11. MC+30IE ethernet card for MAC SE/30

12. SE/30 ethernet card confusion

13. Asante Ethernet + Monitor Card for SE/30