videotrax

Post by Yoshiaki Ohshi » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 06:21:00

There seem to be few people, who have some experience with that product.
Actually I'm still looking forward to hearing from videotrax users,
and also several people have asked me to follow up.

So far, I've heard from my neighbourhood (thanks Nathan!), and
here's the story.

                                                -aki

Date: Mon,  5 Jun 89 23:08:26 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Re: Backup using VCR

I was looking at Videotrax at Macworld 88 - it's a perfectly nice
system, but (a) it's slow, and (b) it's expensive. ($499, provided you
already own a VCR) You can get a dedicated tape backup device for as
little as $700, which is many many times faster, and includes a true
verify. Videotrax cheats by storing data redundantly (to catch errors)
which I suppose is reliable as long as someone didn't rewire your VCR so
he/she could watch Revenge of the Nerds. "-) You can't really be sure
that everything stored okay until you rewind and replay it.

Nathan Loofbourrow

--

videotrax

Post by 3929 » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 13:59:00

>Date: Mon,  5 Jun 89 23:08:26 -0400 (EDT)

>Subject: Re: Backup using VCR

>I was looking at Videotrax at Macworld 88 - it's a perfectly nice
>system, but (a) it's slow, and (b) it's expensive. ($499, provided you
>already own a VCR) You can get a dedicated tape backup device for as
>little as $700, which is many many times faster, and includes a true
>verify. Videotrax cheats by storing data redundantly (to catch errors)
>which I suppose is reliable as long as someone didn't rewire your VCR so
>he/she could watch Revenge of the Nerds. "-) You can't really be sure
>that everything stored okay until you rewind and replay it.

>Nathan Loofbourrow

Hmm, this brings up a question.  What are the current prices for the various
tape/removable harddisk/bernoulli/etc/etc/etc systems?  Has anyone had a
particularly good or bad experience with a given vendor or product?  Which ones
are compatible with A/UX (as if I'll ever really be able to afford it, sigh)?

I'm looking for a Mac II so I guess NuBus driven systems would be okay, though
the idea seems a bit strange when the SCSI port beckons...

Brian R. Gilstrap                   | Southwestern Bell Telephone | Disclaimer:
...!ames!killer!texbell!sw1e!uucibg | One Bell Center Rm 17-G-4   | my mouth &
...!bellcore!texbell!sw1e!uucibg    | St. Louis, MO 63101         | fingers: my
...!uunet!swbatl!sw1e!uucibg        | (314) 235-3929              | opinions
"Winnie-the-Pooh read the two notices very carefully, first from left to right,
and afterwards, in case he had missed some of it, from right to left."
                                               -- A. A. Milne

videotrax

Post by Richard Fozza » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 18:03:00

Quote:>Hmm, this brings up a question.  What are the current prices for the various
>tape/removable harddisk/bernoulli/etc/etc/etc systems?

Ehman Engineering has just dropped their price for a Syquest 44meg
removable to $849.  This sounds superb - does anyone out there has experience
with using the Syquest drives or with Ehman in particular (is this
a reliable outfit?)

I'll summarize to the net - thanks.

Richard Fozzard                                 "Serendipity empowers"
University of Colorado

1. Minix vs. Videotrax

Well, I *finally* got Minix running on my Zenith Z-151 with a Western
Digital WD1002-WX2 controller and a Seagate ST225 disk but *not* with
my Alpha Micro Videotrax board.  Beware all ye others who have this
board.  It hath configurable interrupts and under Sinister
Circumstances shalt steal disk controller interrupts.

I don't have details or a solution yet, but here is what I know:

1)      With the Videotrax in the computer and the latest WD1002-WX2
        patches applied to xt_wini.c, I could boot and the wini
        driver would hang waiting for a message from HARDWARE after
        the first recalibrate command.

2)      All is well without the Videotrax board.

More info will follow when I get a chance to poke at the Videotrax
some more.  Many thanks to all of you who did yeoman's duty hacking
on xt_wini.c!
--
        -- Art Zemon
           FileNet Corporation

2. Why EnumPins can not find the pin?

3. videotrax

4. Tandy 1000 Joystick Pinout?

5. Videotrax

6. InfraRed virtual port under Toshiba Laptop

7. Ever heard of VideoTrax backup system?

8. Nakamichi MJ-5.16 CDROM drivers.

9. SF MacExpo - videotrax?