Will a Mac IIci cache card work in a Mac IIcx?

Will a Mac IIci cache card work in a Mac IIcx?

Post by Alex Ardali » Thu, 19 Nov 1992 00:08:10

  jm>
  jm> The IIcx does not have a PDS slot, so the cache card which plugs into
  jm> this slot isn't of any use to your IIcx. It is really only meant for a
  jm> IIcx or possibly any other Mac that has a PDS slot (PDS - Processor
  jm> Direct Slot) built-in.
  jm>
  jm> Usually you will need an adaptor of some sort to convert it for other
  jm> Macs like the ones that DayStar Digital has. You did not mention the
  jm> brand or the type of cache card you have so I cannot give you a
  jm> definite answer.

If the cx doesn't have a PDS then what is that 4th slot?

I though Daystar's PowerCache only fitted in a PDS slot, and since one is
offered for the cx, where does it fit?

hmm, just after a couple of answers.

Alex

--- MacWoof Eval:12Nov92
 * Origin: "You'll see why 1984, won't be, like 1984" (3:800/828.51)

Post by Wallace L. Vaug » Sun, 29 Nov 1992 00:11:42

  jm>
  jm> The IIcx does not have a PDS slot, so the cache card which plugs into
  jm> this slot isn't of any use to your IIcx. It is really only meant for a
  jm> IIcx or possibly any other Mac that has a PDS slot (PDS - Processor
  jm> Direct Slot) built-in.
  jm>
  jm> Usually you will need an adaptor of some sort to convert it for other
  jm> Macs like the ones that DayStar Digital has. You did not mention the
  jm> brand or the type of cache card you have so I cannot give you a
  jm> definite answer.

Quote:>If the cx doesn't have a PDS then what is that 4th slot?
>I though Daystar's PowerCache only fitted in a PDS slot, and since one is
>offered for the cx, where does it fit?
>hmm, just after a couple of answers.
>Alex

The 4th (white) slot in the IIcx is for ROM upgrades. I don't know where the
Daystar cache card goes

Wally

Will a Mac IIci cache card work in a Mac IIcx?

Post by Sebastian P Ru » Sun, 29 Nov 1992 03:50:36

Quote:>The 4th (white) slot in the IIcx is for ROM upgrades. I don't know where the
>Daystar cache card goes

When you purchase the Daystar PowerCache for a IIcx, you send them
your motherboard and they socket your 68030, which is soldered on on
most cx's.  When you install the accel. you remove the chip and plug
in the adaptor board, which gives you a PDS.  The original chip is not
used at all.

Daystar performs this upgrade for free (w/ purchase of accel.)

-- Sebastian

1. Will a Mac IIci cache card work in a Mac IIcx?

Today I was given a cache card from someone who just upgraded his
Mac IIci and no longer needed the cache card.  He said it should
plug right into my Mac IIcx and increase it's speed.

I know what a cache card is, what it does etc. - I have several years
experience with Macs and what cache does for a PC motherboard.

My concern is that on the cache card it has printed on it, "for Mac
IIci only."

Is there a Hardware expert out there that can tell me....
(1) will putting this card in my Mac IIcx harm the machine?
(2) will a IIcx recognize a cache card?
(3) can I expect a 16 MHz machine to really gain any speed from a
    cache?

Please reply by e-mail only, and please only if you know.  Don't
confuse me with guessing <-=  Thank you extremely much for all info!

Techno-flunkie, Space Industries Inc.     "include all std.disclaimer"
E Pluribus Bastae Carborundum! - unknown

2. Oracle Opportunities in the Philadelphia Area!

3. Mac IIci cache card, how to tell if it works?

4. What Objective-C compilers are out there ?

5. IIci Cache Card Woes (was After Dark and Cache Card)

6. FS:....EIDE HD's Quantum/WD, NO OEM models 7/7/97

7. Mac II (020) cache vs. cache card cache

8. rras still a problem

9. Tech. Works vs. Apple IIci cache card

10. Mac IIcx -> Mac IIci ???

11. Is Apple bundling a cache card with Mac IIci?

12. Mac IIci cache card