Replacement Modem for Mac PowerBook 3400?

Replacement Modem for Mac PowerBook 3400?

Post by AE » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I apparently burned out the internal modem (or its external interface)
that came as original equipment in my PowerBook 3400c.  (Connected it to a
centrex phone system, despite warnings not to do so -- mea culpa.)

I'd like to replace it with a Global Village/TelePort fax modem, because I
like the GV fax software and use it on my desktop Macs.

Anyone have experience with GV PC Card (PCMCIA) modems in the PowerBook
3400?  Or do they make an internal modem for the PB 3400?

Will I have to have the internal modem removed to avoid software
conflicts?  If I get a PC Card modem, will I be able to communicate thru
the PC Card and print thru the Printer-Modem serial port without
headaches?

First-hand experience from anyone appreciated.

Replacement Modem for Mac PowerBook 3400?

Post by Jere » Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I can't recommend any controller-less modems (Global Village and the Apple
Express/Geoport modems fall in this category) as they use excessive system
resources where a "real" modem does most of the work onboard.

Post by Nick Chi » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I can't recommend any controller-less modems (Global Village and the Apple
> Express/Geoport modems fall in this category) as they use excessive system
> resources where a "real" modem does most of the work onboard.

There we go again with some bad information. The GV PC Card modems are not
controller-less. The ONLY GV modems that needed software to run fully were
the Gold II, and the Duo/500 modems.

-- Nick
from the private account of Nick Chinn -- www.accesscom.com/~nchinn
I work for Global Village as a QA Engineer but all posts from this account
are strictly personal and do not necessarily represent the views or
policies of GV.

Replacement Modem for Mac PowerBook 3400?

Post by Jeremy Bro » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I apparently burned out the internal modem (or its external interface)
> that came as original equipment in my PowerBook 3400c.  (Connected it to a
> centrex phone system, despite warnings not to do so -- mea culpa.)

> I'd like to replace it with a Global Village/TelePort fax modem, because I
> like the GV fax software and use it on my desktop Macs.

> Anyone have experience with GV PC Card (PCMCIA) modems in the PowerBook
> 3400?  Or do they make an internal modem for the PB 3400?

> Will I have to have the internal modem removed to avoid software
> conflicts?  If I get a PC Card modem, will I be able to communicate thru
> the PC Card and print thru the Printer-Modem serial port without
> headaches?

You shouldn't have any problem with any PC card on the market - especially
if it's one intended for Macs.  I'm using a GV Powerport Platinum right
now, and aside from an annoying sleep bug, everything is really nice.
Modem conflicts should be nonexistent, as you have to select the modem
which PPP connects to anyhow.  (I leave my GV modem in the slot, but
occasionally leave the dongle - Clyde - at home, and sometimes use a
friend's Megaherz modem at the office.  Just have to switch the modem in
the modem control panel.)

I would recommend the PC Card over an external for convenience sake.

Good luck,
Jeremy

1. Need Powerbook 3400 MODEM UPDATE

When I put 0S8 into my 3400, I forgot to copy the modem update and now I
have to wait as long as 2 hours to access my modem!!! HELPPPPPPP!

If anyone has a copy of the modem update (which download.com has a dead link
to), please email it to me or tell me where I can get it.  Puh-leeeeeeze!
(Enough begging for this message!  Thanks in advance!  Your help would be
GREATLY appreciated.)

2. Speech to Text

3. Connecting PowerBook (3400) to desktop mac??

4. Deprecates functionality?

5. PowerBook 3400 RAM Upgrade

6. problem using RBL with a backup MX server

7. Powerbook 3400/200+box+zip+CD+floppy+Mot PC card

8. FS: Powerbook 3400 12X CDrom $99

9. Powerbook 3400 /240/3g

10. More serial ports for Powerbook 3400 in OS9/Linux, any way?

11. Powerbook 3400 Speaker Crackle at Restart

12. Powerbook 3400 background noise?