600 dpi laserprinter -- HP or Apple?

Post by E. Steve Cranda » Thu, 20 May 1993 10:09:31

I'm currently in the market for a $2k 600 dpi laser printer.  Should
I get the HP 4M or the Apple 600 (with some extra memory thrown in to
get it to 600 dpi)?  Some reviews I've seen give the HP the edge in
print quality and the price seems to be better.

Speaking of price, some mail order places have the 4M for just under
the $2k mark once shipping is included.  Is this the best I can do --
does anyone have any recommended mail order places with great service
and reasonable prices?

many thanks for any info!!!!!
Steve Crandall

Post by Eric Luc » Fri, 21 May 1993 22:42:31

:
: I'm currently in the market for a $2k 600 dpi laser printer.  Should
: I get the HP 4M or the Apple 600 (with some extra memory thrown in to
: get it to 600 dpi)?  Some reviews I've seen give the HP the edge in
: print quality and the price seems to be better.
:
: Speaking of price, some mail order places have the 4M for just under
: the $2k mark once shipping is included.  Is this the best I can do --
: does anyone have any recommended mail order places with great service
: and reasonable prices?
:
:
: many thanks for any info!!!!!

Steve,

  Get the HP.  HP simply makes the best printers, period.  And I'm not just
saying that because I work for them.  In all my experience, HP laser printers
are the best value for the money.  Older models were really slow, but the 4M
reversed that trend.

Eric Lucas
Industrial Design
Hewlett-Packard

600 dpi laserprinter -- HP or Apple?

Post by Lee Roge » Sat, 22 May 1993 00:05:29

Quote:

> Steve,

>   Get the HP.  HP simply makes the best printers, period.  And I'm not just
> saying that because I work for them.  In all my experience, HP laser printers

              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(and so forth)

M*of the story:
When requesting product reviews over the net, always say "No comments from
vendor x and vendor y, please" because some people do not understand the
concept of conflict of interest.

--

The Johns Hopkins University
Applied Physics Laboratory

      Johns Hopkins University assumes no responsibility for my comments.

Post by Leonard Hermen » Sat, 22 May 1993 01:36:50

> > Steve,

> >   Get the HP.  HP simply makes the best printers, period.  And I'm
not just
> > saying that because I work for them.  In all my experience, HP laser
printers
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> M*of the story:
> When requesting product reviews over the net, always say "No comments
from
> vendor x and vendor y, please" because some people do not understand the
> concept of conflict of interest.

Oh good.  I couldn!t make the connection that the HP employee
was possibly biased...I!m glad people are around to figure this
out for me.    :-)

-----
Leonard Hermens
Happy HP IIIP owner/user and HP 4M user

Post by Jim Trascapoul » Sat, 22 May 1993 01:49:26

>> Steve,

>>   Get the HP.  HP simply makes the best printers, period.  And I'm not
just
>> saying that because I work for them.  In all my experience, HP laser p
inters
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>(and so forth)
>M*of the story:
>When requesting product reviews over the net, always say "No comments fr
>vendor x and vendor y, please" because some people do not understand the
>concept of conflict of interest.
>--

>The Johns Hopkins University
>Applied Physics Laboratory
>      Johns Hopkins University assumes no responsibility for my comments

Ahem. Another m*is to not take words out of context to push your own
views. He admitted that he was an HP employee..big deal. You could get an
Aplle person or an Epson person to say the same thing about their
hardware, and still MOST people would agree. I doin't believe that his
working for HP changes the fact that the HP is probably the best made,
most flexible laserprinter on the market. T

Now, to qualify where I'M coming from. I was (for a number of years) a
repair tech with a NE computer sales group (the late Computer Factory.)
I have been factory trained to repair Apples, Epsons, NECs and HPs.
Printers, that is (we stopped counting systems YEARS ago..) And I have had
less problems with HPs than anything else. I knew a person who took an HP
IIp with them to the Middle East (worked for ABC News) a few years back
because (and it's an exact quote - just stuck with me) "they are easy to
clean, never break and can probably stop a bullit and keep working." While
I KINDA doubt the last part, it is a tank.

regards,

Jim

  >> " We Are Barney, You will be Assimilated! Resistance is Futile! " <<

600 dpi laserprinter -- HP or Apple?

Post by Brian Cherkau » Sat, 22 May 1993 02:29:28

Quote:

>I'm currently in the market for a $2k 600 dpi laser printer.  Should
>I get the HP 4M or the Apple 600 (with some extra memory thrown in to
>get it to 600 dpi)?

Apple no longer ships the Pro 600 with only 4Meg of RAM.  The minimum config.
is now 8Meg, which means all Pro 600s come standard with 600dpi now.

-Brian

Post by Roy Eas » Sat, 22 May 1993 03:56:37

>I'm currently in the market for a $2k 600 dpi laser printer.  Should
>I get the HP 4M or the Apple 600 (with some extra memory thrown in to
>get it to 600 dpi)?  Some reviews I've seen give the HP the edge in
>print quality and the price seems to be better.
>Speaking of price, some mail order places have the 4M for just under
>the $2k mark once shipping is included.  Is this the best I can do --
>does anyone have any recommended mail order places with great service
>and reasonable prices?
>many thanks for any info!!!!!
>Steve Crandall

One factor is whether or not you need to hook up a hard drive to the
printer for font storage.  If so, get the Apple, as the HP doesn't have a
SCSI port.

Post by Roy Eas » Sat, 22 May 1993 03:58:57

>:
>: I'm currently in the market for a $2k 600 dpi laser printer.  Should
>: I get the HP 4M or the Apple 600 (with some extra memory thrown in to
>: get it to 600 dpi)?  Some reviews I've seen give the HP the edge in
>: print quality and the price seems to be better.
>:
>: Speaking of price, some mail order places have the 4M for just under
>: the $2k mark once shipping is included.  Is this the best I can do --
>: does anyone have any recommended mail order places with great service
>: and reasonable prices?
>:
>:
>: many thanks for any info!!!!!
>Steve,
>  Get the HP.  HP simply makes the best printers, period.  And I'm not just
>saying that because I work for them.  In all my experience, HP laser printers
>are the best value for the money.  Older models were really slow, but the 4M
>reversed that trend.
>Eric Lucas
>Industrial Design
>Hewlett-Packard

Fact is, HP makes high quality printers.  So does Apple.  Both use the
same engine in this case.

I know HP makes great calculators and medical equipment and probably a lot
of other stuff.  But my company has had very poor luck in the mid-to-late
1980s with HP Vectra PCs.  Go figure.

Post by Pinghua You » Sat, 22 May 1993 04:08:20

>:
>: I'm currently in the market for a $2k 600 dpi laser printer.  Should
>: I get the HP 4M or the Apple 600 (with some extra memory thrown in to
>: get it to 600 dpi)?  Some reviews I've seen give the HP the edge in
>: print quality and the price seems to be better.
>Steve,
>  Get the HP.  HP simply makes the best printers, period.  And I'm not just
>saying that because I work for them.  In all my experience, HP laser printers
>are the best value for the money.  Older models were really slow, but the 4M
>reversed that trend.

-->Eric Lucas Industrial Design Hewlett-Packard

For those who are considering buy HPLJ4M, you should take a look at some
articles posted by someone in Europe in printer and PostScript related
newsgroups several days ago.  (I don't have the reference here with me
right now, but I can repost his article if there is any interest.)  He
has found quite a few serious PostScript bugs in HPLJ4's PostScript
interpreter.  A bug and workaround report was also posted in the news-
group "comp.text.tex" about a month ago.  From the impression I get by
reading these newsgroups, HPLJ4M has serious PostScript bugs, and
WORSE yet, HP doesn't seem to care about fixing them.  HP's Tech Support
is also simply lousy from my experience.

--Pinghua

600 dpi laserprinter -- HP or Apple?

Post by Doug Wo » Sun, 23 May 1993 00:46:18

Quote:

>For those who are considering buy HPLJ4M, you should take a look at some
>articles posted by someone in Europe in printer and PostScript related
>newsgroups several days ago.  (I don't have the reference here with me
>right now, but I can repost his article if there is any interest.)  He
>has found quite a few serious PostScript bugs in HPLJ4's PostScript
>interpreter.  A bug and workaround report was also posted in the news-
>group "comp.text.tex" about a month ago.  From the impression I get by
>reading these newsgroups, HPLJ4M has serious PostScript bugs, and
>WORSE yet, HP doesn't seem to care about fixing them.  HP's Tech Support
>is also simply lousy from my experience.

>--Pinghua

I second this Pinghua`s concern that the 4M is compatable.  I considered both, but
ordered the LW Pro 600 for two reasons: (1) since I planned to use the printer
with my Mac, I knew that Apple would continue to supply a Mac compatiable printer
driver.  I could not be so sure about HP.  (2) the HP, with emulation sensing,
would be the better choice in a mixed environment, but I did not plan to use
the printer that way.

I am very happy with the LW Pro 600 + Memory upgrade.
With the LW 8.0 driver from Apple it is printing even faster than it did when
I was using v 7.0.

Post by Patrick Park » Sat, 22 May 1993 23:58:21

Quote:(E. Steve Crandall) writes:

>I'm currently in the market for a $2k 600 dpi laser printer.  Should
>I get the HP 4M or the Apple 600 (with some extra memory thrown in to
>get it to 600 dpi)?  Some reviews I've seen give the HP the edge in
>print quality and the price seems to be better.

>Speaking of price, some mail order places have the 4M for just under
>the $2k mark once shipping is included.  Is this the best I can do --
>does anyone have any recommended mail order places with great service
>and reasonable prices?

My most specific question in considering a HP4M or a LWP600/630 would be
whether or not you are going to use it in a mixed environment and whether
or not you intend to use a considerable amount of postscript fonts.  Each
questions tips the scale for each printer.

If you are going to use the printer in a dos/windows/mac environment, then
the 4M is without a doubt the clear choice.  It's greatest feature (Apple,
wake up!) is that it can automatically switch between PCL and Postscript.
The Apple product requires you to manually reconfigure your printer for
either emulation, and let me tell you, it is a REAL pain.

I know you mentioned that you only wanted to spend $2k, so I guess that
would rule out the LWP630, which is what I use for our Mac printing.  The
direct ethernet connection reduces printing time as well as having a hard
drive directly connected to it to access postscript fonts.

So, I guess for the $2k price, I would go with the 4M.  It's a little more
compact, has a status display and seems to be the overall better selection
at that price.

<And, I have no affiliations with either company, so no flames>

--
Patrick Parker
Unversity of Minnesota

600 dpi laserprinter -- HP or Apple?

Post by Randy Bu » Sun, 23 May 1993 16:26:33

I too am chosing, but for a mixed Sun/Mac environment.  Here are the tidbits
I have collected so far.

HP 4m + JetDirect card + SunOS tape
  o better small characters
  o cost around 2,700
  o no True Type fonts
  o 6MB RAM

Apple 630
  o scsi adapters for font disks (non-std connectors)
  o better greyscale, but only at 300dpi
  o automatically comes with ether/apple/serial
  o cost around 2,300
  o 64 True Type fonts
  o 8MB RAM

Printer                   PPM  DPI TCP/IP  Etalk Ltalk Trays Sheets  Price
-------                   ---  --- ------  ----- ----- ----- ------  -----
Apple LaserWriter Pro 600  8   600   No     No    Yes    2    350   $1,950
HP LaserJet 4M             8   600   No     No    Yes    2    350   $2,000
Apple LaserWriter Pro 630  8   600   No     Yes   Yes    2    350   $2,400

The NetJET card from Emulex is said to be better than the JetDirect card
from HP.

One form of the configuration:
  o HP LaserJet 4m
  o HP JetDirect card for UNIX TCP/IP - part J2340A
  o Tape option #AAV with Jet Direct card part number J2340-13302 REV A.02.01
    marked "HP JetDirect Card for SunOs 4.1.1, 4.1.2 on Sun SPARCsystems"
    The tape should be free or $69 with the JetDirect card.

Alternatively, the same printer can be confiugured as
  o HP LaserJet 4 (note no `m')
  o PostScript option
  o One 4mb RAM SIMM

Post by Ladd Mor » Mon, 24 May 1993 01:38:38

  LR> M*of the story: When requesting product reviews over the net,
  LR> always say "No comments from vendor x and vendor y, please" because
  LR> some people do not understand the concept of conflict of interest.

I must disagree. I fully welcome product information from vendors as long as
they clearly identify themselves and their relationship to the product. While
one might have to take what they say with a grain of salt, their purported
expertise on products they should be very familiar with is desirable.

When shopping for an expensive piece of equipment, I look for any and all
opinions.

Post by Wally Wed » Wed, 26 May 1993 07:36:37

Quote:(E. Steve Crandall) writes:
> I'm currently in the market for a $2k 600 dpi laser printer.  Should
> I get the HP 4M or the Apple 600 (with some extra memory thrown in to
> get it to 600 dpi)?

Yet another environmental concern is the printer interaction with UNIX
networks. HP does much worse than Apple at this in my experience. My HP
LJIIID still crashes with an IOError whenever anyone prints from the UNIX
network to it. It seems to take AppleTalk jobs fine. HP is very
unresponsive in these situations.

Wally Wedel
U S WEST Communications
4001 Discovery Drive, Suite 370