Making a .mov to a .mpg

Post by Kevin Dugg » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 04:42:24

How do I make a movie to am mpg,

a 12 meg movie file

I have a G3 w/ a early version of Adobe Premiere 4.2.1
if thats of any use.

just would like to convert, plus I guess
most viewer will be on PCs
so would like to lighten
it up a bit too

Thanks

Kevin

--
remove the REMOVE from address to reply directly  please

http://www.ampcast.com/search/band.php?id=11151

http://www.mp3.com/kevin_duggan

Making a .mov to a .mpg

Post by sbt » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 05:31:15

In article

Quote:> How do I make a movie to am mpg,

> a 12 meg movie file

> I have a G3 w/ a early version of Adobe Premiere 4.2.1
> if thats of any use.

> just would like to convert, plus I guess
> most viewer will be on PCs
> so would like to lighten
> it up a bit too

The easiest way is if you have Toast Titanium -- just select VideoCD in
Toast and drag the .MOV file into the window. It will ask if you want
to Scale to Fit or Crop to Fit (unless the dimensions match VCD specs)
and then ask you to name the file. After that, sit back and wait while
it does the conversion -- re-encoding can take a while.

--
--Spenser

Making a .mov to a .mpg

Post by Lincoln Ramsa » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:09:40

> How do I make a movie to am mpg,

> a 12 meg movie file

> I have a G3 w/ a early version of Adobe Premiere 4.2.1
> if thats of any use.

> just would like to convert, plus I guess
> most viewer will be on PCs
> so would like to lighten
> it up a bit too

Bit of a dodgy way to do it but...

The Converter's Paradise (http://hem.spray.se/joakim.slettengren/) has a utility
that will convert .mov to .avi (called switch I think) and a utility to encode
mpeg layer 1 video from .avi

They're x86 apps so you'll need VPC or a handy pee cee.

I'm sure there's a better way... even Mac apps that will do it but I found these
  one day and they seem to work (the switch app came in handy converting .mov to
.wav)

--
To email, remove the nospam.                        \|/
.                                                  (o o)

Making a .mov to a .mpg

Post by Paul McGran » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 07:34:47

In article

t>,

Quote:> How do I make a movie to am mpg,

> a 12 meg movie file

> I have a G3 w/ a early version of Adobe Premiere 4.2.1
> if thats of any use.

> just would like to convert, plus I guess
> most viewer will be on PCs
> so would like to lighten
> it up a bit too

Movie2MPEG is a little buggy, but it might work fine on short movies
-- I've had it crash on me when I tried to encode about half an hour
of footage. MPEG encoding will not be very speedy on an older G3.

<http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~jgenest/DaffySoft/Movie2MPEG/Movie2MPEG.ht
ml>

Keep in mind QuickTime works great on Windows too.

--
...Paul McGrane

Making a .mov to a .mpg

Post by Kevin Dugg » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 05:07:45

Thanks a million,
I thought a mpg was quicktime,

is this not true.

Again thanks

Kevin

Quote:

> > How do I make a movie to am mpg,

> > a 12 meg movie file

> > I have a G3 w/ a early version of Adobe Premiere 4.2.1
> > if thats of any use.

> > just would like to convert, plus I guess
> > most viewer will be on PCs
> > so would like to lighten
> > it up a bit too

> Movie2MPEG is a little buggy, but it might work fine on short movies
> -- I've had it crash on me when I tried to encode about half an hour
> of footage. MPEG encoding will not be very speedy on an older G3.

> <http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~jgenest/DaffySoft/Movie2MPEG/Movie2MPEG.ht
> ml>

> Keep in mind QuickTime works great on Windows too.

--
remove the REMOVE from address to reply directly  please

http://www.ampcast.com/search/band.php?id=11151

http://www.mp3.com/kevin_duggan

Making a .mov to a .mpg

Post by Alan Somer » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:31:48

QuickTime is an entire multimedia architecture, not just a movie
format.  New formats are added via codec (coder-decoder) plug-ins.  I
believe the original QuickTime format was Cinepak, but it tends to
exhibit blockiness.  Most of the movie trailers you see nowadays are
encoded with Sorenson 3, which is only supported in QuickTime 5.

In article

Quote:> Thanks a million,
> I thought a mpg was quicktime,

> is this not true.

> Again thanks

> Kevin

> > > How do I make a movie to am mpg,

> > > a 12 meg movie file

> > > I have a G3 w/ a early version of Adobe Premiere 4.2.1
> > > if thats of any use.

> > > just would like to convert, plus I guess
> > > most viewer will be on PCs
> > > so would like to lighten
> > > it up a bit too

> > Movie2MPEG is a little buggy, but it might work fine on short movies
> > -- I've had it crash on me when I tried to encode about half an hour
> > of footage. MPEG encoding will not be very speedy on an older G3.

> > <http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~jgenest/DaffySoft/Movie2MPEG/Movie2MPEG.ht
> > ml>

> > Keep in mind QuickTime works great on Windows too.

--
Spam countermeasures are in effect.  Please remove ".invalid" and the capital
letters "NOSPAM" from my address when  e-mailing me.

Making a .mov to a .mpg

Post by witt » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 12:43:01

No, otherwise you would see a lot more support from apple for mpeg
encoding etc...

There are a few ways I have found....

ASTARTE M.Pack  3.5.1e hard to find but the guys in
binaries.mac.applications would post a copy if you asked
nicely...encodes mpeg 1 and 2, can make a toast ready vcd.

Cleaner 5 can do it but has crashed my G4 occassionally

Tmpeg in Virtual PC, this may seem a hassle but this shareware app does
marvellous things with avi, mov, mpg and I think there are plugins for
asf files too...it can join mpgs together into vcd's, re-encode mpgs,
and its reasonably fast too...

check out http://www.TMPGEnc.com/

Cheers...

In article

Quote:> Thanks a million,
> I thought a mpg was quicktime,

> is this not true.

> Again thanks

> Kevin

> > > How do I make a movie to am mpg,

> > > a 12 meg movie file

> > > I have a G3 w/ a early version of Adobe Premiere 4.2.1
> > > if thats of any use.

> > > just would like to convert, plus I guess
> > > most viewer will be on PCs
> > > so would like to lighten
> > > it up a bit too

> > Movie2MPEG is a little buggy, but it might work fine on short movies
> > -- I've had it crash on me when I tried to encode about half an hour
> > of footage. MPEG encoding will not be very speedy on an older G3.

> > <http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~jgenest/DaffySoft/Movie2MPEG/Movie2MPEG.ht
> > ml>

> > Keep in mind QuickTime works great on Windows too.

1. *.MOV

Howdy folks

I'm an Atari 8 bit user and I'ld like to know if there are utilities
available for your computers that will either play *.MOV files directly or
convert them into something that will run on your computers.

CU                    Mathy van Nisselroy

---
My old email address has ceased to exist, please use my new address.
Meine alte Emailadresse gibt es nicht mehr, bitte benutzen Sie meine neue
Adresse.
Mijn oude Emailadress bestaat niet meer, gebruik aub vanaf nu mijn nieuwe
adres.

http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/mathy.van_nisselroy

2. Bandwidth command usage on the 2924C-XL

3. IIe mouse troubleshoot: mov

4. Cannot execute the COS Event Service

5. Need data for MacPlus Video board schematics re: MOV failure

6. Change home page (from index.htm to home.htm)

7. Interested in making a Webpage resource - how to open every Mac ever made

8. Brother HL 1240 and Linux

9. Making DSK Images

10. Making ADT easier to set up...

11. Need help making an .DSK or .NIB image

12. Pausing AppleWin; was Re: Making screenshots

13. Making my emulator work