Question re: Pro Keyboard

Post by <syt.. » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:44:39

I have a G4 running System 9.1 with a Pro Keyboard which came with the
computer.

Is there a way to designate one of the keys to start up the computer?

Thanks,

Sy

Question re: Pro Keyboard

Post by Gregory Westo » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:54:34

Quote:> I have a G4 running System 9.1 with a Pro Keyboard which came with the
> computer.

> Is there a way to designate one of the keys to start up the computer?

If you have a G4 that came with a Pro keyboard, it doesn't support
USB-invoked startup. Not even if you got an old keyboard with an
honest-and-for-true power key.

And what's with including advocacy groups in the post? I'm starting to
wonder if you're actually trying to start a flame war somehow.

Greg

Question re: Pro Keyboard

Post by <syt.. » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:43:58

Can you explain what the "problem" is with posting to "advocacy" groups?

As a 15 year Mac user it would appear to me that I'm an "advocate" of
that system and would like to address my questions to other "advocates"

> > I have a G4 running System 9.1 with a Pro Keyboard which came with the
> > computer.

> > Is there a way to designate one of the keys to start up the computer?

> If you have a G4 that came with a Pro keyboard, it doesn't support
> USB-invoked startup. Not even if you got an old keyboard with an
> honest-and-for-true power key.

> And what's with including advocacy groups in the post? I'm starting to
> wonder if you're actually trying to start a flame war somehow.

> Greg

Question re: Pro Keyboard

Post by Gregory Westo » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:22:34

Quote:> > And what's with including advocacy groups in the post? I'm starting to
> > wonder if you're actually trying to start a flame war somehow.

> Can you explain what the "problem" is with posting to "advocacy" groups?

> As a 15 year Mac user it would appear to me that I'm an "advocate" of
> that system and would like to address my questions to other "advocates"

As an 18-year Mac user, I'd point out that the problem with posting to
advocacy groups is bi-directional. First, the posts I've seen from you
are not advocacy themselves or related to the process of advocacy.
They're straight, factual questions. Second, the advocacy groups are not
about advocacy _or_ straight, factual questions. They're about large
groups of people engaging in knee-jerk arguments not so much _for_ a
platform as against the alternative. Commonly - although there are rare
exceptions - whichever option a given participant in those groups is
arguing against, their arguments are based on information that is
outdated if it ever was correct, opinion posed as fact, and comments
that the person to whom they're nominally responding never actually
made. An overwhelming percentage of the people who contribute in
advocacy groups do so to argue. Note the distinction between argue and
debate.

In short, the advocacy groups are not a breeding ground for anything
resembling informative useful conversation.

For example, if I had not noticed csm.advocacy in the group list and
_had_ (as I considered doing) included a discussion about which models
support USB-invoked startup and why recent ones don't, it would almost
certainly have triggered a rant about Apple's being incapable of
adopting standard interfaces without somehow screwing things up to make
them proprietary, forcing their users to buy rarer and more expensive
equipment and yadayadayada. This despite the fact that Apple's extension
to USB to support startup is a) history, b) exceptional and c) didn't
strictly conflict with the USB standard _or_ lock users into non-generic
hardware. Said rant would trigger responses going on at great length
about a, b and c - and also d through q - and they'd be off to the races.

Greg

Question re: Pro Keyboard

Post by <syt.. » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 02:56:20

Ok, Greg I hear ya.  Can you recommend other Mac groups to ask
questions?

> > > And what's with including advocacy groups in the post? I'm starting to
> > > wonder if you're actually trying to start a flame war somehow.

> > Can you explain what the "problem" is with posting to "advocacy" groups?

> > As a 15 year Mac user it would appear to me that I'm an "advocate" of
> > that system and would like to address my questions to other "advocates"

> As an 18-year Mac user, I'd point out that the problem with posting to
> advocacy groups is bi-directional. First, the posts I've seen from you
> are not advocacy themselves or related to the process of advocacy.
> They're straight, factual questions. Second, the advocacy groups are not
> about advocacy _or_ straight, factual questions. They're about large
> groups of people engaging in knee-jerk arguments not so much _for_ a
> platform as against the alternative. Commonly - although there are rare
> exceptions - whichever option a given participant in those groups is
> arguing against, their arguments are based on information that is
> outdated if it ever was correct, opinion posed as fact, and comments
> that the person to whom they're nominally responding never actually
> made. An overwhelming percentage of the people who contribute in
> advocacy groups do so to argue. Note the distinction between argue and
> debate.

> In short, the advocacy groups are not a breeding ground for anything
> resembling informative useful conversation.

> For example, if I had not noticed csm.advocacy in the group list and
> _had_ (as I considered doing) included a discussion about which models
> support USB-invoked startup and why recent ones don't, it would almost
> certainly have triggered a rant about Apple's being incapable of
> adopting standard interfaces without somehow screwing things up to make
> them proprietary, forcing their users to buy rarer and more expensive
> equipment and yadayadayada. This despite the fact that Apple's extension
> to USB to support startup is a) history, b) exceptional and c) didn't
> strictly conflict with the USB standard _or_ lock users into non-generic
> hardware. Said rant would trigger responses going on at great length
> about a, b and c - and also d through q - and they'd be off to the races.

> Greg

Question re: Pro Keyboard

Post by Gregory Westo » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:02:28

> [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
>    the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]

> Ok, Greg I hear ya.  Can you recommend other Mac groups to ask
> questions?

I think the other ones you've been using are fine. If it's a Mac
question, just find appropriate groups in comp.sys.mac.*. You just have
to remind yourself that "advocacy" is too often pronounced AR-gyoo. And
if that's what you _want_ to do at times, then that's fine, too.

Question re: Pro Keyboard

Post by David » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:42:31

> Ok, Greg I hear ya.  Can you recommend other Mac groups to ask
> questions?

I'll beat Greg to the punch here.

Just about any group other than advocacy would be better for asking
serious questions.  Pick the one most relevant to your question.

Likely candidates under comp.sys.mac include:

app, apps - for discussing application software

comm - for communication issues, including modems, Ethernet and
internet access

databases - this name should be self-explanatory

forsale - if you want to buy or sell something Mac related

games.{action | adventure | flight-sim | misc | strategic} - for
discussion game software.

general - general discussion about the Mac platform

graphics - the name should be self-explanatory

hardware - for discussing Mac hardware and hardware problems.  Note
also the sub-groups for specific categories of hardware: storage,
video and misc).

hypercard - for discussion of the Hypercard software package,
Hypercard programming, and related software.

misc - stuff that doesn't fit into any other category

portables - laptop Macs only

printing - for discussion of printers and software related to printing

system - for disussion the MacOS system software itself

In this particular case, sice your question was about keyboards, I
would recommend either hardware or hardware.misc.

And just to add another data point supporting Greg's comments about
advocacy, I have my newsreader configured to not show me any article
that is cross-posted to an advocacy group.  I suspect I'm not the
only one who does this.  If you post a serious question to an
advocacy group, a lot of people who might be able to help you may
never see your message.

-- David

Question re: Pro Keyboard

Post by David B Fu » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:16:13

>> I have a G4 running System 9.1 with a Pro Keyboard which came with the
>> computer.
>> Is there a way to designate one of the keys to start up the computer?

>If you have a G4 that came with a Pro keyboard, it doesn't support
>USB-invoked startup. Not even if you got an old keyboard with an
>honest-and-for-true power key.

That depends upon which G4 he has.

I have a Gigabit-Enet G4 which came with a black Pro Keyboard.
While helping a friend test out an old iMac keyboard, I discovered
(to my surprise) that the power-on-button on that keyboard would
start up my G4.

Griffin technology makes an ADB-2-USB adaper ("iMate") that they claim
will let you use an ADB keyboard (including the power-on button) with a
USB based machine. (not tried one out, anybody know?)

With the Pro Keyboard, there is a command-'eject' key sequence that
will bring up the "shutdown" dialog on a running system, but I don't
think that you can use that as a power-on sequence.

--
Dave Funk                                  University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu>        College of Engineering

1. 105-key Mac Pro Keyboard Good Buy?

In the Jan issue of MacUser, this keyboard is advertised in the
Programs Plus ad.  It comes with Tempo II macro software.  The package
is around 119.00

Anyone use this keyboard.  Is it fully compatible with Apple extended
keyboard?   Is this a good buy???

Has this keyboard been reviewed anywhere?
Jeff Marder
Quotron Systems   213-302-4316

2. XBOX Tech's

3. Apple Pro Keyboard Power Switch...?

4. PAM_SMB

5. can I use apple keyboard pro in PC?

6. Input an entire Database column into multiple text boxes

7. macally keyboard or the pro ?

8. Dll functions exported

9. Keytronics Mac Pro keyboard

10. Apple Pro (USB) keyboard on PC?

11. apple pro keyboard - multimedia buttons don't work

12. Versa Term pro keyboard equivalants?

13. apple pro keyboard prob