Can I do this with a 3400 notebook?

Post by TA » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 08:40:35

Hi,

I am a pc user, and I was looking for a lowcost used laptop. I have
found a mac 3400 at a local used computer store for only 150$. It
seems to run fine, the rub is the store owner does not know much about
macs.

Can I get a standard wireless card to use with this mac? I'd like to
use it as a portable internet machine.

thanks for any and all info!

Can I do this with a 3400 notebook?

Post by Alan Zisma » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:37:29

Quote:>Hi,

>I am a pc user, and I was looking for a lowcost used laptop. I have
>found a mac 3400 at a local used computer store for only 150$. It
>seems to run fine, the rub is the store owner does not know much about
>macs.

>Can I get a standard wireless card to use with this mac? I'd like to
>use it as a portable internet machine.

>thanks for any and all info!

For its time, the PowerBook 3400 was pretty powerful... 'the fastest,
most expandable, and most expensive laptops ever made when they were
released in February 1997'.

Since there is a slot for two PC-Cards, you can use an 802.11b
wireless PC card-- but make sure that you get one with Mac (classic
OS) drivers. Check for Proxim, Farallon, Orinoco (etc)...

Alternatively, Ioxperts has released drivers allowing a wide range of
PC wireless cards (Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, Buffalo, etc) to be used
with Macs. US$20, it specifically lists the Powerbook 3400 (OS 8 and
9) as supported.

(You may have to upgrade the operating system, depending what's on
it... the 3400s originally came with Mac OS 7.6. As well, you may find
yourself wanting more RAM... they originally came with 16 MB,
expandable to 144 MB. Still, $150 is a good deal).