IIsi adapter card

Post by kell.. » Tue, 05 Nov 1991 06:01:37

For personal use, the only extension card being normally added, I think, will
be the 24-bit color board. And the IIsi is  not fast enough to run a good graphic
application even at 8-bit mode. Why people still want a NuBus adapter, which is
slower than the PDS, to have 24-bit color. There are many PDS 24-bit color
board spcially designed for the IIsi. These accelerated card draw much less
power than the apple 8.24GC card that means it won't burn your machine and cost
much less than the 8.24GC. Ilove the 8.24GC BUT we CANNOT use it in IIsi. And
also the 8.24GC is NOT compatible w/ system 7.0, that is why we have to turn it
off almost all the time in our computer lab.

There are some adapter cards on the market now offering an extra slot for the
IIsi to upgrate it speed while retaining an PDS for any other use, like adding
the 24-Bit color board.

IIsi adapter card

Post by J. Taggart Gorm » Tue, 05 Nov 1991 07:06:29

>slower than the PDS, to have 24-bit color. There are many PDS 24-bit color
>board spcially designed for the IIsi. These accelerated card draw much less
>power than the apple 8.24GC card that means it won't burn your machine and cost
>much less than the 8.24GC. Ilove the 8.24GC BUT we CANNOT use it in IIsi. And

  I haven't seen any 24bit cards made specifically for the IIsi, much less
ones that use the IIsi slot.
  If you are talking about 24bit cards that use the SE/30s PDS slot and
require the 030 adaptor card, you are going to get slammed.  Cards that fit in
the SE/30 PDS cost _much_ more than comparable NuBus cards.  The Raster Ops
24s, a NuBus board, goes for about $370 by mail order.  A comparable 24bit card
for a SE/30 is costing about $500.
  I own a IIsi, and want a 24bit card.  I looked at the various types of
adaptors (remember my survey?).  Apple's are costly, and third party groups
make PDS adaptors with caches, but I have not seen any other NuBus adaptor
other than Apple's.  So that's what I bought.  NuBus has soooo many more cards
available in that format.  And who says I want just 24bit color?  I have my
eyes on a Raster Ops 364.  I haven't seen a 24bit card/Video card for the SE/30
much less at a price under $600!

|--------------------------------| "Pretend that we blew up all the schools.
|      J. Taggart Gorman Jr.     |  Now that you're dead, what are you going

|--------------------------------|     - Christian Slater, in _Heathers_

IIsi adapter card

Post by Fabian Fabe Ramir » Thu, 07 Nov 1991 09:37:08

J. Taggart,

FYI...SuperMac's Spectrum/8*24 PDQ si is an accelerated, 24-bit for 12" & 13",
16-bit for 16", and accelerated 8-bit for 19" & 21" displays.  It's a PDS card
specifically for the Mac IIsi.  Otherwise, most all other 24-bit video cards
are NuBus version requiring a NuBus Adapter.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac

1. Which IIsi Adapter Card to get???

This may sound a bit strange, but why not wait until you decide what board
you are going to install?  True, you'll be without a math coprocessor in
the meantime, but something else to consider is this:  As an example, I'll
assume you decide to purchase a Radius display board for your IIsi.  Well,
if you get the PDS (SE/30) version, you'll get the adapter card free!  Then
you would have wasted all that extra money to buy the adapter (and possibly
the wrong one) in the first place...  Granted, the Radius adapter does not
include the math coprocessor, but the board is free, and there is a socket
on it to which you can add a coprocessor as an upgrade.

No problem.
--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- "I'm not a UNIX wizard, but I play the Postmaster at radius.com." -----

2. injoy and dos/win TCPIP

3. Iisi Adapter Cards

4. Required Linux Administrator , Wilmington ,DE

5. Mac IIsi NuBus Adapter Cards?

6. Robust? I think so.

7. IIsi adapter for Daystar PowerCache wanted

8. NB adapter for IIsi

9. IIsi Adaptor Survey Summary

10. 3rd party IIsi FPU adaptor boards

11. IIsi and adapter