*** Hardware Update 2.0 HOSED my hard disk! ***

*** Hardware Update 2.0 HOSED my hard disk! ***

Post by Rich 'mcmxciibo' Holm » Wed, 04 Aug 1993 21:15:54

Last night I installed the new Hardware Update on my LC III 12/160
(Quantum).  No problem. Then I updated my System Tools floppy as
recommended. No problem. Then I used said floppy to update my hard
disk driver.  Bad news. The hard disk is well and truly hosed.  I
couldn't boot from it; I had a hard time booting from my System Tools
floppy -- it would usually hang when displaying a window from one of
my hard disk folders, sometimes earlier, sometimes not at all.

I copied most of my recent (post-backup) work to a Syquest cartridge
-- a few files wouldn't copy, the system would hang when it tried, or
at least so it appeared; I didn't try to copy them more than once.
Then I tried to initialize the disk with HD SC Setup. Failed!
Repeatedly.

That's where things stand now. Got to make some calls. I expect the
Mac will have to go in to be repaired.

In fairness to the Hardware Update, this disk may have had a
pre-existing problem. Early on after getting this Mac, I ran the
"Test" from HD SC Setup and it reported failure. Observing no problems
with the disk in actual use over the past couple months, however, I'd
chalked that up to some sort of misfeature of the test software.

Oh, and I did re-partition the drive when I got the Mac to reclaim the
full disk space. I can imagine a scenario in which that would cause
trouble (though most people whose opinions I trust say it's safe), but
I'd be surprised if it affected the ability to initialize the disk.

I'm not sure what to conclude at this point, aside from BACK UP YOUR
HARD DISK BEFORE INSTALLING THE HARDWARE UPDATE.

--
- Rich "mcmxciibo" Holmes
   'In every walk of life, when wrestling with difficult m*dilemmas,

Post by Carl B. Constanti » Thu, 05 Aug 1993 04:58:07

> Last night I installed the new Hardware Update on my LC III 12/160
> (Quantum).  No problem. Then I updated my System Tools floppy as
> recommended. No problem. Then I used said floppy to update my hard
> disk driver.  Bad news. The hard disk is well and truly hosed.  I
> couldn't boot from it; I had a hard time booting from my System Tools
> floppy -- it would usually hang when displaying a window from one of
> my hard disk folders, sometimes earlier, sometimes not at all.

> I copied most of my recent (post-backup) work to a Syquest cartridge
> -- a few files wouldn't copy, the system would hang when it tried, or
> at least so it appeared; I didn't try to copy them more than once.
> Then I tried to initialize the disk with HD SC Setup. Failed!
> Repeatedly.

[other stuff deleted]

Out of curiousity, did you previously use a third party program (live HWC
toolkit, or similar) to format your drive?  for some reason, the HD setup
program (and thus the mac) will *when using a third party utility.  It
seems to clear itself up after awhile.

If you have used a third party util, keep using it and don't update your
driver!!

Carl B. Constantine                      B.C. Environment, Lands & Parks

*** Hardware Update 2.0 HOSED my hard disk! ***

Post by George of the Jung » Sun, 08 Aug 1993 18:16:10

Quote:>Last night I installed the new Hardware Update on my LC III 12/160
>disk driver.  Bad news. The hard disk is well and truly hosed.  I
>"Test" from HD SC Setup and it reported failure. Observing no problems
>with the disk in actual use over the past couple months, however, I'd
>chalked that up to some sort of misfeature of the test software.

Pardon me for a moment while I mutter to myself <well DUHHHH>.  Okay, I'm
back now.

Quote:>I'm not sure what to conclude at this point, aside from BACK UP YOUR
>HARD DISK BEFORE INSTALLING THE HARDWARE UPDATE.

How 'bout "IF I SOMETHING TELLS ME THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH MY MAC, I'LL
FIGURE IT OUT AND FIX WHAT NEEDS FIXING"?

Brian <-= doesn't really blame him for his mistake, but does blame him for
          his post
anonymous cuz posting from my friends account

1. Hardware System Update 2.0 at sumex.

Don't blame Apple, blame the hammerhead who didn't know what s/he was doing.

When Apple wants something done right, they set it up on a floppy, and if you
want it done right, you either get the floppy or an exact image of the
floppy.

I've seen people who need to be walked through installing System Software,
fer christ'sake.  Making an installer that does it right is a *good* thing,
and requiring an exact image is a *good* thing, because otherwise a *lot* of
people will screw it up.  (in this case I don't blame those people who had
trouble, they got a bad deal from the person who didn't make a .image)

Brian
For the person with trouble with MountImage, send mail and I'll try to help.

2. CLOSE an open program -- Help me

3. Quadra 950 Video Problem after applying Hardware Update 2.0

4. Admin account password problems

5. Help! Hardware Systems Update 2.0?

6. Search for hidden files?

7. Hardware System Update 2.0

8. Japanese

9. Humidity hoses hard drives?

10. hosed disk -- piracy only option?

11. Hard disk fear & panic update & summary

12. Hard disk successes (Was: Re: Don't buy Hard disks from CMS, they.

13. Where to get FWB Hard Disk TK Updates?