Classic applications will not launch

Post by Gareth Davi » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:52:43

Hi,

For some reason I can no longer launch Classic (v9.2.2) applications
in OS X (v10.2.3). I don't know when this happened, it never used to
be a problem!

When I double click on a Classic application nothing happens - the
Classic environment is not started and the application is not
launched. I can start the Classic environment with no problems from
the preferences pane. However, Classic applications still fail to
launch.

Updating to the latest version of Safari (as suggested at the Apple
site), tmp -> private/tmp symbolic link, etc. do not fix the problem.

However, I've now found that any new Classic applications I install
work fine. Also if I delete an application that isn't working and
re-install then it starts working. Additionally, if I move an OS 9
application (like SimpleText) to a new location such as a sub-folder
it then starts working. If I return it to its original location it
stops working. Deeply weird. All application file permissions under
Unix are wide open at 777.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how I might
fix it?

Many thanks,

Gareth

Classic applications will not launch

Post by John Gentil » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:54:04

Quote:> Hi,

> For some reason I can no longer launch Classic (v9.2.2) applications
> in OS X (v10.2.3). I don't know when this happened, it never used to
> be a problem!
> Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how I might
> fix it?

> Many thanks,

> Gareth

I haven't seen that happen yet, but on the classic preferences pane
there is an option to rebuild the desktop. Try that.

John

Post by Gareth Davi » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:18:40

> > Hi,

> > For some reason I can no longer launch Classic (v9.2.2) applications
> > in OS X (v10.2.3). I don't know when this happened, it never used to
> > be a problem!
> > Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how I might
> > fix it?

> > Many thanks,

> > Gareth

> I haven't seen that happen yet, but on the classic preferences pane
> there is an option to rebuild the desktop. Try that.

> John

I've already tried rebuilding the desktop - didn't solve the problem.

Gareth

1. Document could not be opened because the application that created it could not be found

After fixing problems on my hard disk with Norton and TechTool Pro, I
find that when I try to open a file, I'm told that the document could
not be opened because the application that created it could not be
found. I can open the files if I first open the application and then the
  document. But clicking document files does not work. And once I quit
the application, files can no longer find it. Rebuilding the desktop
does not help.

FWIW, the files in question all show up now with the generic file
symbol, not their application specific counterpart.

Any ideas I what I should do now? I'm using OS 9.2.2 on a G4.

Thanks for your help.

3. How can an application find the file it was launched from?

4. ServerXMLHTTP hang when hitting load balancer

5. Launching applications from HyperCard

6. User transfer Util

7. Da to launch applications

8. Horizontal seperator?

9. How to launch an application

10. Application launch from inside Pascal or Mod-2

11. Anybody know? installers, applescript, launching applications

12. Help test our menu extra to launch application, documents, and aliases

13. ??: Launching other application fr